Author Topic: Baseball- GO Cardinals!  (Read 88606 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball- GO Cardinals!
« Reply #435 on: December 25, 2009, 01:25:12 PM »
As if there was any doubt!

If Pujols was a Yankee, he'd be one that I grudgingly hate.

sdcforever

« Reply #436 on: December 29, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »
DeRosa has signed with the Giants--an announcement will be made today--for 2 years for about $12 million.  He'll turn 35 soon, and it's believed that the Cards were wary of signing him to more than a one year deal due to his age and wrist problems.  DeRosa was viewed as a plan B if the Cards didn't sign Holliday.  The Cards have been in a holding pattern on DeRosa (no offer was made) while waiting on Holliday.  No decision will be made by Holliday before the new year.

The Cards have more than DeRosa as a plan B for a 3B/LF.  They have interest in Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, Felipe Lopez, Miguel Tejada, and Jermaine Dye.

sdcforever

« Reply #437 on: December 29, 2009, 02:48:32 PM »
Players are starting to fall into place.  The Mets have reached a deal with Bay, pending a physical.  Reportedly it is a 4 year/$66 million deal, or about $16.5 million per year.  That is right within the range the Cards have on the table for Holliday, but the 8 year option in the Holliday deal is definitely a plus for the Cards.  With the Mets out of the Holliday picture there appear to be no other teams in the running.  Theoretically, the Yankees could swoop in, but as was noted earlier, they are looking for a more short-term solution in LF in order to go after the bigger free agents that will be available a year from now.  What, exactly, is Holliday waiting for?  The ball is in Boras's court now.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #438 on: January 05, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »
In case you hadn't heard, Holliday signed with the Cards -- a seven-year deal worth a guaranteed $120 million, including a $17 million vesting option for 2017.
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #439 on: January 05, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
I'm glad it's over, and that the Cards didn't bid against themselves.  They said from the beginning that they wouldn't pay $20 million a year, and they stuck to it.  Some think Pujols will pout since he's not making the most on the team anymore, but they don't know Pujols very well.  He only cares about winning, and pulled for the Cards to sign Holliday from the time the season was over.  He's certainly a happy man today.  And the Cards know what they're doing.  They'll find the money in the next year or two for their next big goal:  sign Pujols as a Cardinal for life. 8)

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 06, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »
Good long term signing, makes last year go for broke landing of Holliday pay of for years to come.

sdcforever

« Reply #441 on: February 04, 2010, 08:32:26 AM »
Pujols and the Cardinals are currently in negotiations for a contract extension, though neither side will discuss it publicly.  This is good news! 8)

Read more here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Pujols-and-Cardinals-finally-talking-extension?urn=mlb,217590

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 05, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »
They need to just buckle down and sign Pujols to a lifetime contract. He doesn't want to play anywhere else, and the team would collapse without him.

sdcforever

« Reply #443 on: February 27, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »
One of my free agent wishes came true today.  Felipe Lopez signed a one year, $2 million deal and is already in Jupiter, FL for spring training!  He really beefs up our bench.  Mozeliak played the market perfectly with this signing! :)

“This has been my first choice since I played here back in ‘08, ” said Lopez, “They treated me like always--with open arms.”

Read more here:
http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/commishs-hot-stove/commishs-hot-stove/cardinal-beat-updates/2010/02/new-cardinal-lopez-i-knew-who-i-wanted-to-play-for/

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 27, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »
Lopez is a great addition to the team, a steal at 2 mill, considering the numbers he's put up in the last couple years.

I'm excited about this season, signing Holliday, picking up Penny.  We're favored in the Central.  Mo has done a great job this off season.  I hope it all pans out.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sdcforever

« Reply #445 on: March 05, 2010, 06:02:17 AM »
Wow, an ugly start to spring training for the Cards.  The plus side is there was good hitting.  The minus side is there was a lot of bad pitching and fielding mistakes that led to a 17-11 loss to the Mets.  That's what these games are for, though.  To prepare for the regular season and iron out mistakes.

Luckily our lineup won't look exactly like this when the regular season starts (this is yesterday's lineup):
1. Skip Schumaker, 2B
2. Julio Lugo, SS
3. Nick Stavinoha, DH
4. Ryan Ludwick, RF
5. Colby Rasmus, CF
6. David Freese, 3B
7. Joe Mather, 1B
8. Jon Jay, LF
9. Jason LaRue, C

And these won't be our pitchers either:  LHP Evan MacLane. Followed by: RHP Adam Ottavino, RHP Eduardo Sanchez, RHP Francisco Samuel, and RHP Charlie Zink.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 07, 2010, 06:25:26 PM »
Yes...our first spring training win today.  Go Cards!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 05, 2010, 01:12:45 AM »
After that shaky little mini-slump, it looks like the Birds are Back.  ;D

Redbirds, anyway. That Oriole Orange is sucking pretty hard.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 05, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
Yah, what's up with that?  It seems like they always slump in May.  I guess they like the hot weather.  But anyway, it's good to have them back.  For awhile there, it was like on the old game show "To Tell The Truth."  "Will the real St. Louis Cardinals please stand up."

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 24, 2010, 12:35:21 AM »
Well, the ole team is hanging in there.  One-game lead on Cincy as of today.  Pitching is still leading the way, Carpy and Waino are still studs, but what a pleasant surprise from Garcia.   As of late, offense is beginning to heat up, and Holliday is starting to look like Holliday.  Pujols, nuff said.  We need to keep stepping it up.  Go Cards!