Author Topic: Magic Springs Ark.  (Read 4082 times)

SteamFreak

Magic Springs Ark.
« on: March 17, 2009, 12:38:03 PM »
Has anyone been there? Is it worth the drive (3 hrs. for me)?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Magic Springs Ark.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »
I'll answer this question the same way I answer every question like this that is posed.

If you have never been to the park, it is always worth visiting at least once, just to experience what the park has to offer.
SWOOSH

SteamFreak

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:48:48 AM »
Well that's diplomatic! :D

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 03:23:17 AM »
Even though Hot Springs is one of my favorite places in this world (and only 120 miles away), I've only been to Magic Springs once, and that was in '93. They've been bankrupt, closed, and re-opened under new management at least a couple of times since then.

I liked it. It's a one-day park, or a season pass park if you live nearby and have frequent visitors from out of town.

Take two days, including one spent doing nothing but walking down Central Avenue and exploring the shops. Yeah, they're tourist traps, but they're unique and locally owned and every one of them is worth exploring.

If you can time it to be there on the third Friday of the month, you can take the "Gallery Walk", where almost all of the art galleries on and near Central have a big open house, free admission, and usually wine and cheese laid out for visitors. It is a great way to kill 3-4 hours on a Friday evening, walking off your supper.

Speaking of supper, you haven't lived until you've enjoyed the Hot Springs Brau Haus (formerly the Edelweiss Keller; same owners, different name). You can't find it by driving by... it's underground, beneath a Subway of all things, at the corner of the World's Shortest Street, in a stone basement with vaults and arches. Start with the Zwiebelsuppe or Gulaschsuppe, and pick your entree from there. It's all good.

Honestly, my only regret about our upcoming move to New Hampshire, will be missing out on Hot Springs.  :(

SteamFreak

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 06:10:15 AM »
Thanks for the info, sounds like I'll be checking it out soon. Can't wait to ride the old dollywood ride.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:16:02 AM »
That sounds like a cool place to go visit. Is the park actually in Hot Springs?

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »
Yeah, that sounds really cool!  Have to put it on my to-do list. :)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
That sounds like a cool place to go visit. Is the park actually in Hot Springs?

Right on the eastern edge of the city, on U.S. Hwy 70. It's less than 2 miles from downtown.