Author Topic: Six Flags/Cedar Fair Merger and it's effects on SDC  (Read 908 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Six Flags/Cedar Fair Merger and it's effects on SDC
« on: November 02, 2023, 08:41:57 AM »
If they keep the Six Flags pricing to be able to visit other parks, SDC will be competing with a combined SFSL and WOF with a Frontierland thrown in as a bonus

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags/Cedar Fair Merger and it's effects on SDC
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 08:19:27 PM »
That's a big "if".

Few things stay the same for long after a big merger.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 08:50:56 PM »
I’m not convinced it will get past anti trust regulations. It might but it’s combining #1 and #2 in terms of number of properties. Many states that had 2 park companies will only have 1(or like Missouri will go from 3 companies to 2)…. That’s the type of consolidation that usually gets deals reversed by the feds.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 09:23:26 PM »
Corporate monopolies are never good. Get ready for non-competitive prices that will top Disney. Also expect quality and upkeep to slip and you will also see some parks and assets that were seen as former competition to be closed and liquidated. Meanwhile, smaller independent parks will feel the pinch and pressure to be absorbed as they try to compete.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 04:22:51 AM by sdcfan88 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 11:39:02 PM »
I’m not convinced it will get past anti trust regulations. It might but it’s combining #1 and #2 in terms of number of properties. Many states that had 2 park companies will only have 1(or like Missouri will go from 3 companies to 2)…. That’s the type of consolidation that usually gets deals reversed by the feds.

This.is amusement parks we are talking about. It'll get barely a glance by the feds.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 10:46:49 AM »
It'll be hard to call it a monopoly since there are still a number of other operators out there, and these parks don't even represent the top parks in the country.

It does suck for consumers. Less competition means less big new rides. The era of a ton of new coasters opening every year around the country is probably over. There will be a couple each year, but probably not many mega coasters anymore. B&M is going to struggle unless they change their format, which it looks like they have been...
It's all about cheap and flashy. Who cares about capacity anymore, they sell more skip the line passes with low capacity rides anyway. What is new this year is forgotten about within two years anyway. Nothing is built to last or to provide an excellent overall experience, just throw something up so the park has something to promote.

SDC may benefit actually... if they continue to focus on quality attractions versus cheap and forgettable, they will have a market edge. Combined with the resort that we assume is coming, they are turning into more and more of a destination versus cheap playground like most of the SF parks.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 11:50:45 AM »
I will say there could be a positive in this if things play out right, SF/CF may sell off redudant/underperforming parks and Hershend could take them under their wing leading to a Hershend All-Park season pass. I could also see Frontier City getting sold off as this would be a good candidate for Hershend to add to their park lineup and improve. (if they dont kill it in a few years like CC)

A pipe dream of mine would also be to have a single pass for WOF and SDC. lol
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 11:56:28 AM by sdcfan88 »

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 06:45:35 PM »
They do not even offer a pass that gets you both SDC and DW, so why would they buy more parks and have a all park pass? 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2023, 10:52:57 AM »
Once upon a time HFEC almost bought several SF parks. They ended up doing an operations deal at a few former SF parks instead of buying, and that didn't seem to work out great... but it did help the company grow and learn how to manage more theme park properties and seemingly led to them getting Kentucky Kingdom eventually.

I agree, we may see HFEC pick up more properties IF some get spun off. Hard to say what they would try to sell though. They use FC to sell passes, and it is a cheap park to run apparently. The Great Escape is small, but apparently does OK - and again, sells passes.