Author Topic: SDC now anti branson....????  (Read 1339 times)

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
SDC now anti branson....????
« on: July 19, 2023, 12:05:07 PM »
I just visited the park Mon and Tuesday and I gotta say it pretty obvious that the park is really leaning into the "Ozarks Mountain" angle and leaving "Branson" in the dust. All new merchandise has this brand now as well as a ton of signage. Does anyone know the actual reason for this change? Distancing from the " OLD folks"- Branson image?
Quarrels with the Branson Chamber of Commerce? At one point it was an easy way to let people know where you were regionally, do they think they have been around long enough now to make the break from Branson?

With so much of the old style of the park being replaced with updated, simulated 1860's theming and flat out destruction of the ambience of the original. I am just curious if this is a move to just recreate the entire park using updated amusement park standards and practices -- IE wider paths, more vending and merchandising sales, larger and more intrusive food court seating areas.

my two cents...

Kevin 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC now anti branson....????
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 02:35:49 PM »
^ I'm not sure that Branson is not trying to get away from Branson.  It seems the most crowded area is Branson's Landing and that certainly isn't "old school Branson".  We mainly just go to SDC when we're there but every once in a while we'll do something else in town the day after our SDC Christmas visit.  Are the music shows still going strong?  I would think the attractions like the Ferris Wheel, ziplines, go karts, mountain coaster, etc are doing ok.  But that's speculation on my part.
I'm Your Huckleberry

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 02:38:29 PM »
I think it's a smart move. Anytime I have told someone about SDC and how great it is, their interest immediately decreases when they hear it is in Branson.

Even with being from the area, we go into actual Branson less than 10 times a year; we go to SDC 25+ times a year.

I see it mimicking the branding of Dollywood's branding with the Smoky Mountains... especially if the long rumored resort gets announced. It is now an Ozark Mountains destination, not just something to do when in Branson.

Dollarz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 03:51:30 PM »
People will spend more money staying at a resort in the Ozark Mountains over one in Branson. 

Look at Big Cedar Lodge. You'll be hard pressed to find Branson in their marketing materials. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 03:54:21 PM by Dollarz »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 04:20:12 PM »
I see it mimicking the branding of Dollywood's branding with the Smoky Mountains... especially if the long rumored resort gets announced. It is now an Ozark Mountains destination, not just something to do when in Branson.

Most certainly, this is true.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 05:23:21 PM »
I agree that it probably has something to do with the resort that seems to be about to be announced. There are rumors that the 8.14 announcement will include the resort. I'm not sure that is true, but we'll see. I think they are getting much, much closer to it. Probably in engineering design as we speak.

Branson is a bit of a tarnished brand. The city leaders (partly thanks to HFEC's involvement) snubbed their noses at so many big developments and efforts to change the city to adapt to the times. Branson Landing and downtown Branson is the one area that was allowed to change and develop into something big and cool that people can hang out in for an extended period of time instead of being stuck in traffic going between the crappy tourist traps on the strip. There are some random things on the strip that still draw crowds, and most of them are big flashy attractions like the mountain coaster or the park with the giant ferris wheel, but those still require an aggravating slog through the "76 crawl".

I can't believe that after all this time they haven't come up with any kind of transport option besides a tiny two lane road that connects everything. There are a few backroads, but to get to most of the stuff on 76 you eventually have to get on 76. I know I would rather spend my time in either SDC or Branson Landing. The random go-kart places, empty theatres, and run down hotels along 76 can fend for themselves.

I just looked at the strip on google street view and good grief, there are a LOT of empty lots and abandoned properties. Great potential if someone can buy up a bunch at once and connect them all with a massive resort or something - but Branson would resist it!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 08:24:35 PM »
I thought we'd talked about this before. Maybe it was on FB or Twitter.

Anyway: SDC is not in Branson. It's generally associated with Branson, but it's not even in the same county.

The SDC experience and Branson experience have never been the same thing.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 05:51:30 PM »
If I can go to SDC and avoid the tourist trap that Branson is I will. Not much there that interests me at all and besides it all seems so broken down and old. Trashy empty lots and cheap motels. Unfortunately most of the AirBNBs are located where you have to travel through this mess or take a long route around. Hopefully the new resort will help and we can come in from the west and avoid it all.

Fergy328

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 01:20:07 PM »
If I can go to SDC and avoid the tourist trap that Branson is I will. Not much there that interests me at all and besides it all seems so broken down and old. Trashy empty lots and cheap motels. Unfortunately most of the AirBNBs are located where you have to travel through this mess or take a long route around. Hopefully the new resort will help and we can come in from the west and avoid it all.

I will say though, in recent years I feel that they have slowly started getting better quality attractions replacing either empty lots or abandoned buildings (Wonderworks, Branson Boardwalk/Aquarium, Branson Coaster, etc.)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2023, 11:28:37 PM »

In the '70s and early '80s, we were staying at Kimberling City and coming in from the west. The only times we went into Branson proper, was to see a music show. Other than that, it was SDC and SOTH, and we didn't have to worry about turning left on 65.

(Those of you of a certain age might remember when locals put bumper stickers on the front saying, "I'm a Branson native and I will help you TURN LEFT! <---", and would stop while you did.)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 12:32:27 PM »
^Yeah, there have been a few cool news things added to the strip, but I'd argue it's still a long ways from the hey-day of the strip. Half the lots are empty or dilapidated, and the show offers get less and less each year. I don't recognize hardly any of the shows anymore, and they all seem to be some variation of country cover bands or something that ties into christianity/patriotism. I guess that's an OK niche, but it is obviously drying up. Basically, it's just shows aimed at old boomers who have never really experienced true night life or live music.

The strip will need more than a few flashy new rides and scattered attractions to stay relevant as more than a place for cheap hotels in the near future. We need walkable spaces, better restaurants, and better venues. A live music venue for touring acts would be a good start. The Mansion actually serves as such for bluegrass/country/gospel, but I'm talking about rock bands and everything else.

When SDC adds a resort everything changes for the strip, IMO.

Jesus4me

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2023, 01:00:47 PM »
My guess is they are building a resort and moving Wild Waters from the Strip and rebuilding and retheming onto the property. They are trying to build it like Dollywood. And with the new American Heartland theme park planned they will have competition for the market and cannot hesitate.