Author Topic: Silver Dollar City by yourself  (Read 1564 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Silver Dollar City by yourself
« on: April 27, 2023, 04:13:58 PM »
Just curious- how many of you gone to Silver Dollar City by yourself?  I only did it once.   I went to the Western Writers of America Convention is Springfield MO in June of 2007.  The last day of the Convention was Saturday so on the way back home to central Arkansas I stopped and went to SDC on Sunday on my own.  The positive side was that I could do what I wanted on my own schedule.  The negative was when I went to eat at the Wagon Wheel I got up to get some water during my meal and when I got back they had bussed my table LOL.  I had to tell the cashier what happened and got another burger and fries.  Anyone else have any interesting stories when you visited by yourselves?
I'm Your Huckleberry

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Dollar City by yourself
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 05:07:25 PM »
I have had a season pass for the last 5 years and I go every time by myself. 

I go about 4-5 times a season - I am a single man with no family. I am also a retired photographer so I spend a lot of time trying to find unique photo spots. I make it a point to visit midweek, so the crowds are small. I have various degrees of success, at times I am surprised by the school trips. Hundreds of school children are not my thing, but they seem to avoid everything but the rides so its not usually too big of a deal.

Going solo gives you a chance to just take your time and wander without any agenda. There are dozens of hidden things and Easter eggs many people know nothing about.  Interesting Signs, bits of original theming, architecture, moss covered roofs, special sound effects in certain spots. A lot of things you might miss when running with the family or large group of friends.

All in all I like going alone --

my two cents.

Kevin     

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 02:57:50 AM »
I used to always go by myself from 2016 to 2020 when I moved to London. This was especially true during bluegrass and BBQ as I have a very eclectic musical taste and none of my friends were that into bluegrass. I would go, map out the shows and times and bounce from show to show.

There is a lot of benefit to going alone... although I tended to stay away from the rides as nothing like calling attention to yourself in a crowd as when they ask for a "single rider" and then have everyone in the crowd focus on the fact you are comepltely alone  :'(.

I've found that you tend to only do what you want, though, so trips are focused and to the point so often aren't there a great amount of time but get much more done than when in a group.

Oddly, I am much less willing to do things alone in the UK than I used to be in the US for some reason other than go to concerts. Even though there are several amusement parks around, I've yet to be to any in 2 1/2 years other than to SDC when I visited the US in November of 2021

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 05:56:14 PM »
Most of my visits are by myself. No one else I know is really interested in the park, nor is anyone I know local.

In my experience, no one really pays any attention to any groups in the park other than their own, so that isn't a personal concern.

Most of my travel has been solo for more than a decade, and honestly, it's great. As has often been said, you get to do what you want when you want, and since I stopped waiting for other people, I've actually done a lot more attractions and travel than I did before. I've just gone and done things I wanted to do rather than waiting for other people to have the money and/or interest to do them with me, and it has really worked out well. And if you've ever had a trip to SDC (or anywhere else) ruined by another person, it's nice to be on a trip where that's not really a possibility!

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 03:02:16 PM »
As I live in Springfield, I get a season pass every year and most of my visits are solo ones. I work a fairly odd schedule so it doesn't always line up with everyone else's availability. When I do go with others it usually family that live in the area or friends from StL down to visit.

I love going by myself. I am quite introverted so being alone doesn't bother me, especially since I got divorced several years ago. I like not having to rely on anyone besides myself. I don't mind being in public and don't care when I'm that one guy that's walking through when they need a single rider. I've been going to the park as long as I can remember, and its always been somewhere that just makes me happy. I can ride what I want when I want, eat whatever I choose, and just generally go at my own pace.

Its also great at Christmas because I'm not there for the parade usually. I just enjoy walking the park and seeing it all lit up. Its definitly my favorite time of the year. Yeah I get some funny looks when people see me walking around solo, but I do what I enjoy, even if it means looking awkward in public.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 07:00:02 AM »
Why anyone else should care whether a person is solo or one-in-a-group-of-100 is beyond me.  What possible difference does it make?

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 08:01:17 AM »
Why anyone else should care whether a person is solo or one-in-a-group-of-100 is beyond me.  What possible difference does it make?

There are overprotective parents that view any single male in a place where there are children as a likely child predator. It’s ridiculous but that is the reality. Most people don’t care, especially somewhere like SDC where they are focused on what they are doing.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 08:04:09 AM »
There are overprotective parents that view any single male in a place where there are children as a likely child predator.

^Sadly this

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 08:35:20 AM »
^ It is good to be cautious but not paranoid.  I've never felt my kids weren't safe at SDC. 
I'm Your Huckleberry

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2023, 12:26:05 PM »
There are overprotective parents that view any single male in a place where there are children as a likely child predator.

^Sadly this

Unfortunate side effect of the world we live in today. I've never felt like I'm being looked at like that when I visit SDC solo, but I also don't do anything that would invite those thoughts. Also, most of the time I'm going solo is off peak times before Memorial Day and post Labor Day when the crowds are smaller and the weather isn't unbearble.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 09:00:14 PM »

There are overprotective parents that view any single male in a place where there are children as a likely child predator. It’s ridiculous but that is the reality. Most people don’t care, especially somewhere like SDC where they are focused on what they are doing.

It's the sad truth, and also tragically misguided.

"Stranger danger!" isn't based in reality. Child abductions are almost always custody disputes, and child sexual abuse is almost always a "trusted adult" known by both the child and parents.

Of course there are exceptions. They are almost always highly publicized, and prove the rule. They also distort the public's perception of reality.