Author Topic: 2023 Crowds / Trip Reports  (Read 16341 times)

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Crowds / Trip Reports
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2023, 11:17:40 AM »
We were at the park yesterday and today and noticed many of the pressed penny machines were missing. Does anyone have any intel on why they are gone?

In the process of being replaced by ones that only take card.  Since the park is now cashless that makes sense.  Expect them to cost more though

If the city is cashless now how are they handling kids that are on school trips or field trips?  Surely there would be a major problem with them using parents credit or debit cards.

I think he means if you want to be cashless, you can. We used cash several times.

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 08:59:17 AM »
We went to the park Thursday and Friday. I knew about the parking lot construction from reading on here but that didn't stop us from entering the parking lot the wrong way. Instead of staying all the way to the left for the free parking, my husband went to a booth with a green arrow and had to be told to turn around. Hopefully the signage will be better once the construction is finished. Thursday was chilly and cloudy but we were fine with pants and jackets. The crowds were low so my two boys got to ride their favorites multiple times. My husband and I rode the train. I was glad it was back. The show was funny. One of the bother's guns fell apart when he pulled it out which lead to some funny improve. The brothers were two younger guys that I haven't seen in the rolls before.
We started the day with Fire in the Hole as is our tradition and actually had to wait in a small line which it kept all day. We found Red Flander's pants and bought our FITH t-shirts. We even bought refillable mugs since their were FITH themed. First time I've ever bought a mug.
Friday was a little warmer and the sun was out a little more and so were the crowds. Outlaw Run got up to 45 minutes at once point and that rarely happens when we are there. We left around 4 to make our 4 1/2 hour drive home.
I have to say I'm just not a fan of Street Fest. I still miss World Fest. Street Fest doesn't seem to have any cohesive theme.
I had a first in all my visits. I had to go to First Aid for a band aid. My shoe gave me a blister on my heel. I enjoyed getting to go "backstage" and the guys in FA were very friendly and helpful. We talked about how much more crowded the park has gotten in the past few years.
It was a good trip. It's just different with teenagers vs small kids. They are happy to run around and do their own thing. My husband and I ended up in the rocking chairs in front of the taffy shop for a good while on Friday. We got season passes so we will be back for fall and Christmas. My husband and I may even go for a day when we are in Branson in June. Depends on how hot it's gotten by then.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 06:22:59 PM »
We went last Sunday, got to park around 9:20 with a park opening time of 10:00. Traffic to the park was almost nonexistent and getting through the new parking booths went quick. We made a right in the parking lot and drove all the way up to almost where the sidewalk crosses the tram roadway. Our best parking spot, ever.

Went to guest relations to process our season passes - wrong move, need to just go through regular ticket line and they take your picture and create the new pass. Was relatively painless once we knew where to go. Found the booth where they are handing out the refillable mugs - and that went really fast too.

The day was a great day...was in the upper 60's so we rode about everything. Including Mystic River Falls and American Plunge (didn't do Riverblast). Notes on rides:
  • Got the wettest I have ever been on a rapid ride on MRF. Water was flying into the boat with big waves - the drop at the end was fast and we flew off the splash down area into the river with a sudden stop and huge wave - seriously crazy moment.
  • American Plunge effects were non-existent, but the ride is the same. If they just gave this a nice retheme, it would be a really good "log ride".
  • Fire in the hole was moving! The powered part of the ride was extremely fast (which I assume they have done to help push capacity). Trains were leaving the station as one was arriving - reminded me of the old days.
  • The FIH merchandise is going fast - a lot of sizes were out, but if you're a small or medium - no worries there.
  • Food lines were short, so we tried a lot of items. Everything was good - but not sure if I'll venture past our usuals (tater twist, cinnamon bread, calico potatoes, etc.) - nothing was bad, just not "oh my gosh I have to eat that again".
  • Of course Thunderation was a bit rough, but not unrideable. It would be nice for a rehab and not a replacement - learned the backward cars were turned around 13 years ago. Dang where has the time gone?

Had a very good day at the park, got completely worn-out walking all over the place. Looking forward to our next trip this year to see how all the construction is progressing. Exciting times ahead - I hope.

Jay

pintrader

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 07:13:01 PM »
Went to guest relations to process our season passes - wrong move, need to just go through regular ticket line and they take your picture and create the new pass. Was relatively painless once we knew where to go.

Okay.....so if you have digital passes on phone and have uploaded your own picture when you get there can you go directly to entrance gates?

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 08:15:46 PM »
Went to guest relations to process our season passes - wrong move, need to just go through regular ticket line and they take your picture and create the new pass. Was relatively painless once we knew where to go.

Okay.....so if you have digital passes on phone and have uploaded your own picture when you get there can you go directly to entrance gates?

Yes, I believe so - I have my whole families passes on my phone so I wanted everyone to have their own individual pass, so I didn't have to be present with them all the time. Maybe there's a way I can forward the digital pass - but I haven't figured that out yet.

Jay

pintrader

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2023, 08:40:48 PM »

Yes, I believe so - I have my whole families passes on my phone so I wanted everyone to have their own individual pass, so I didn't have to be present with them all the time. Maybe there's a way I can forward the digital pass - but I haven't figured that out yet.

Jay

If you don't already have your passes in an email you can call SDC and have them send them to you in one.  That way you could send each member of the family an email that would have a copy of the tickets.  I did that and my family members open the tickets in the email.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2023, 07:59:43 PM »
I was at Silver Dollar City over the weekend. It was my first time riding Mystic River Falls since I’ve only been in the park at Christmas since it opened, and I was surprised that it seemed to be very reliable the three days I was in the park. I don’t think I ever saw it closed while I was there. All the rides seemed to be running well with two trains on Powder Keg and Time Traveler all three days and two trains on Wildfire and Outlaw Run on Saturday. Thunderation still only has one train available.

We did the tasting passport and had the BBQ chicken & cheese waffle cone, BBQ pulled pork pizza, BBQ tater twist dog, BBQ pulled pork nachos, and BBQ chicken mac and cheese. All dishes were good and you definitely get your moneys worth.

They are continuing to work on the parking lot, but lot two seems to be done except for some fencing possibly. It is slightly confusing with how many cones they have set up, but the signs do a pretty good job telling people where to go.

Random note: On both days when riding Thunderation, they announced that iPhones left in the cubbies need to be turned off or put in airplane mode. Does anyone know why that would be? No other ride made that announcement.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2023, 10:01:43 PM »
Random note: On both days when riding Thunderation, they announced that iPhones left in the cubbies need to be turned off or put in airplane mode. Does anyone know why that would be? No other ride made that announcement.
The only thing I can think of, is Apple Watches paired to iPhones using crash detection, but even that doesn't make sense.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2023, 10:27:02 PM »
Are you sure that wasn’t for ones NOT left in the cubbies?

Honestly, I’ve kept my iPhone and Apple Watch on and with me on every coaster since the crash detection feature came out and have never had it false call. I think the issue is greatly exaggerated.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2023, 10:22:44 AM »
That's great to hear that operations are going smoothly this year. Feels like every other park is having major issues in one way or another, especially with unruly guests. Glad to know SDC is still ahead of the pack. Mystic River being more reliable is great news too. I will hopefully be there on the 20th and hope to ride it again for the first time since 2020.

orangesandpeaches

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2023, 10:24:06 AM »
Are you sure that wasn’t for ones NOT left in the cubbies?

Sounds about right, TNT was running good and the mid-course was slowing trains like it was the mid-1990's last week. I could defiantly see a couple phones calling for help on their own. Back in the day when they tried to cheat and put wireless cameras on the lift, they delayed operations a few times because they thought they were getting Bluetooth interference. That little experiment didn't last too long.

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2023, 11:17:26 AM »
All the rides seemed to be running well with two trains on Powder Keg and Time Traveler all three days and two trains on Wildfire and Outlaw Run on Saturday. Thunderation still only has one train available. 

Genuinely curious if Powder Keg still has three trains available? Or has one been taken out of service and used for spare parts or out for refurb.?

In my opinion, that ride should never run fewer than two trains...ever...
I understand the reasons when only one train is operating, but I think the ride length/time is too long to only operate one train. Again, just my opinion.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2023, 11:55:21 AM »
I realized I forgot to do my first visit of the year trip report...

I attended SDC by myself two Mondays ago and I must say I think its my new favorite day to go. Temps were in the 60's and it remained mostly sunny. Even with the nice weather I am sure there were only 1-2k people at the park that day as it felt like I had it to myself. Nearly everything was a walk on except Powderkeg and the only other crowds were at FITH and the Train. Even Time Traveler had no lines. I was one of two people on the whole TT train, its too bad SDC doesn't allow re-rides on the coasters on slow days anymore. They still make you get off and walk all the way back around again. ThuNderaTion was riding a bit better minus the tunnel segment and the front car of the 2nd train was missing from the workshop. Still bummed they cut down most of the remaining trees around the track along the lift hill and around the lower part of the ride near TT.

My main report I wish to make is I did ride the train for the first time post accident on this trip and outside of the robbery I did notice the absence of jokes and whatnot, it was basically a ride thru commercial advertising stuff around the park and of course the usual turn your ticket into a season pass talk. No moonshine, no Ichabod jokes, no brakes jokes, no saloon references, no "happy days are here again jokes", no "shake yer fist and call em ugly" jokes, and most notably, the old wreck props were completely removed among other small things I noticed along the way. I am hoping it was just an off day because of the lighter crowds but with the various props removed I fear this is the norm now. (fortunately Pottersville and the Robbery Shack are still present) I am hoping they will add new material or something because the ride thru chatter basically being a series of advertisements as it currently sits may get old after awhile.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 04:03:31 PM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2023, 01:07:00 PM »
Ugh, that sucks about the train monologue. I guess I can understand them removing the "wreckage" lol, but that kinda sucks too since that was an actual train that was cannibalized for that visual. Hobo junction met it's demise during the 2008-09 crash when it wasn't funny to joke about people experiencing homeless, however satirical.

The jokes have been disappearing everywhere. SDC used to be such a tongue in cheek hillbilly town with nods to actual history. Now it's just coke logos and "clean" appearances on everything. Remember when every building and flowerbed had all the old antique crap thrown everywhere? Oh well, at least we'll hit this week's quota for complaining about change.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2023, 06:17:35 PM »
The old train wreck stuff is gone?  That sucks.