Author Topic: New Metal Detectors  (Read 3521 times)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
New Metal Detectors
« on: May 01, 2022, 08:18:38 AM »
The metal detectors have been upgraded to the ones like Disney where it can clear you through bad check if nothing suspicious is detected. It’s a much better entry experience compared to the old style detectors.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: New Metal Detectors
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 08:43:07 PM »
The whole metal detector, security checkpoint, and bag search has really turned me off of SDC.  I suppose it is probably at the point of being necessary as the last several years going over to SDC and Branson, the clientele seems to be changing lately.  I have been seeing things you would never see in years past.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 12:13:11 AM »
The whole metal detector, security checkpoint, and bag search has really turned me off of SDC.  I suppose it is probably at the point of being necessary as the last several years going over to SDC and Branson, the clientele seems to be changing lately.  I have been seeing things you would never see in years past.
When you treat people like criminals, you turn away people who aren't accustomed to being treated like criminals... which leaves you with criminals.

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 09:49:00 AM »
When you treat people like criminals, you turn away people who aren't accustomed to being treated like criminals... which leaves you with criminals.

Something that is going to take less than a minute is really fine with me.  I don't care for it and wish I could just walk in but considering how the world has changed in recent years I can deal with it.  If you don't have extra security in place you could very well be on borrowed time. 

I know I am not a criminal but sure don't know about the next person walking through.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 12:34:47 PM »
I just hope they are consistent with their procedure. Last year almost every time I went security wanted me to do something different at the check point so I never knew what to do to be ready and help speed the process along.

I also set off the detector several times and they didn’t wand me or do anything extra other then ask or my shoes have steel toes(they do). It all left me feeling like it’s just theater and not very good security.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 12:56:35 PM »
...almost every time I went security wanted me to do something different at the check point...

Good news is that with the new detectors, you just walk through them; no holding up keys, phone, etc. You just keep on walking through unless the machine flags you for a bag check.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 12:20:42 AM »
I don't care for it and wish I could just walk in but considering how the world has changed in recent years I can deal with it.
How has the world changed in recent years? Crime is down. What has changed, is acceptance of "oh, anything to make me safer!", even if it doesn't.

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 03:51:27 AM »
I have to agree - its for the illusion of safety and the potential for lawsuits. I worked security for 5 years with metal detectors. I can tell you, if you are not doing a full pat down then its doing very little. I assure you there are guns, knives and a host of other contraband things entering the park everyday. Overall, its probably not too dangerous, it makes people feel safe and in court you can always say we have metal detectors. I have never ever felt unsafe in the park. For me the detectors are a blip in my memory of the entire day. I am at the security area for less than 2 min.

my 2 cents
Kevin

pintrader

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 07:29:18 AM »
The world has changed in a number of ways over recent years.  Mass shootings for one and the willing to do so.  Is it 100%...of course not but it might deter at least one which might make a difference.  If it even gives the feeling of security that's a positive thing and something to go on.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 09:02:38 PM »
Yes, it is simply security theater.  With the poor job the do of searching bags, I could get in any number of weapons if that was my goal. 

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 09:07:44 PM »
They aren’t just classic metal detectors anymore. They are much more advanced and automated. They basically do an automated bag check as you walk through them. If the system flags something, they pull you aside to check it. Makes the entry process move so much more smoothly. Overall a great upgrade.

This is what they are: https://www.evolvtechnology.com/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 09:11:42 PM by mg »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 12:06:55 AM »
They aren’t just classic metal detectors anymore. They are much more advanced and automated. They basically do an automated bag check as you walk through them. If the system flags something, they pull you aside to check it. Makes the entry process move so much more smoothly. Overall a great upgrade.

This is what they are: https://www.evolvtechnology.com/

So, extra-expensive kabuki.