Author Topic: Future Festivals  (Read 6317 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Future Festivals
« on: December 20, 2021, 03:12:06 PM »
As usual, after our visit to SDC last Friday, we got an SDC Guest Experience Survey in our email.  Among various questions about OTC they ask for which festivals you would like to see at SDC- not current festivals but festival ideas.  They have 5 lines for 5 different festival ideas.  Anyone have an idea for a festival you would like to see that I can list in the survey?  Thanks for your help.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Future Festivals
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 05:20:18 PM »
Flower & Garden
Mardi Gras / Carnivale
Food & Wine

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 09:53:36 AM »
They definitely need a stronger spring festival. Something like a big easter fest. That could be the next pumpkinfest - eggfest!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 11:28:48 AM »
I'm surprised there are no "Home-Schooled Days".  It wouldn't affect our family, but I know there are many who would like to take part in special exhibits and workshops while also enjoying the City.

Of course, I'd like to see an embracing of local history, complete with seminars, creative entertainment opportunities, and hands-on activities.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 12:36:28 PM »
Thanks everyone- these are helpful.
I'm Your Huckleberry

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 05:32:13 PM »
Flower & Garden
Mardi Gras / Carnivale
Food & Wine

Adding to the food and wine.  How about adding a craft beer food and wine. Pairing of craft beer and food is very popular. Invite small local breweries and offfer tastings and pairings.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 08:55:12 PM »
Surprised they haven't done a full on veterans/military themed festival similar to the cowboy festival. Not just a weekend event around Veterans or Memorial Day.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 11:47:15 PM »
I'm surprised there are no "Home-Schooled Days".

Every day that traditional school is in session, is Home School Day. :)

Not being tied to the school calendar is the ultimate way to beat the crowds and avoid the rush.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 04:30:45 PM »
I’d like to see a worlds fair event. Something tying in to the historical world fairs.

I like the idea of a food and wine fest, but am not sold on having alcohol in the park. There already seems to be an increasing number of unkind guests in the city and I fear alchool would increase that more.
Maybe a home cooking or country cooking festival.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 06:33:07 PM »
^ I agree that there should be no alcohol at the park.  SDC is a great place to take your family.  There are plenty of other places (including some theme parks) where you can get alcohol.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »
^ I agree that there should be no alcohol at the park.  SDC is a great place to take your family.  There are plenty of other places (including some theme parks) where you can get alcohol.

You realize prohibition is over, right?  Literally all parks have alcohol now (even Disney). 
SWOOSH

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
I honestly don't see alcohol ever being served based off the company's (Herschend family's) version of morality/religion. And I would bet that a good portion of the old timers would stop going if alcohol was served for the same reason...

BUT... I could see a lot of "none of the aboves" religion wise really flocking to a beer and wine type festival... queue the BBQ/Bluegrass and brews festival and you'd have something... Although a good portion of the bluegrass musicians might not want anything to do with that for the same reasons as above

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2021, 10:06:32 AM »
I honestly don't see alcohol ever being served based off the company's (Herschend family's) version of morality/religion. And I would bet that a good portion of the old timers would stop going if alcohol was served for the same reason...

BUT... I could see a lot of "none of the aboves" religion wise really flocking to a beer and wine type festival... queue the BBQ/Bluegrass and brews festival and you'd have something... Although a good portion of the bluegrass musicians might not want anything to do with that for the same reasons as above

What religion/morality are you talking about? Catholics are all about alcohol.  Baptists are right there with them.  I think we’re way past the stigma/dogma of alcohol is bad.  And it’s not like people are going to get ####-faced drunk at these festivals
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
You definitely would lose some people if you served alcohol but then again you would gain others.  Human nature tells me you probably would gain more than you lose. 

I don't know....lol...if you take 15 to 20 thousand people and allow alcohol there are always some that are going to get loaded.  Whether it would be a big problem or not I don't know.  It might be something that they might try to test and see how it works out.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2021, 10:59:02 AM »

You realize prohibition is over, right?  Literally all parks have alcohol now (even Disney).

I like to think of SDC having a higher standard.  I like to be able to take family to a park where no alcohol is served.  Just my opinion.
I'm Your Huckleberry