Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 124263 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #450 on: February 20, 2023, 09:39:38 PM »
ON TOPIC: Here are several photo updates of current projects

Parking Lot
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2023/02/city-update-parking-sdc.html

Sign / Icon
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2023/02/city-update-sdc_19.html

Dorms
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2023/02/city-update-dorms-sdc.html

——

OFF TOPIC: SFSTL vs SFOT
STL has a better wooden coaster collection. 
STL has the better Freeze (especially now that oT’s goes fwd not backwards)
Both parks have dead areas.
STL has better parking
Both have terrible ride ops
OT is horrible to get to with all of the construction and not the best neighborhood
Honestly the coaster collections are pretty similar, OT does have Titan which gives it the edge barely.
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 21, 2023, 12:58:30 AM »
ON TOPIC: Here are several photo updates of current projects

Parking Lot
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2023/02/city-update-parking-sdc.html

We've heard that this project won't be completed until this summer, so it will be interesting to see where they will park everyone here in a couple of weeks when the park opens for the season on March 11th

Understatement of the year? Decade? Century?

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 21, 2023, 08:14:28 AM »
There will be Food Trucks & Fun At The Plaza in the area that has been used for Pumpkin Plaza. Seems like a great way to add more room and food options.

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/events/spring-break/

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 21, 2023, 08:26:51 AM »
It also looks like they will somewhat be celebrating the 50th season of the saloon show.
This season it is opening on April 6th.

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/attractions/shows-entertainment/new-saloon-show/

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 21, 2023, 10:33:12 AM »
It's also the 30th anniversary of Thunderation.  Hopefully it will get the TLC it's been needing for a while!  Less bumpy please.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 21, 2023, 03:59:22 PM »
It's also the 30th anniversary of Thunderation.  Hopefully it will get the TLC it's been needing for a while!  Less bumpy please.

I would get as many rides in as you can while you still can. 
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 21, 2023, 04:18:02 PM »
With everyone else's mine train coasters staying in their parks for years....why would SDC be thinking about replacing theirs so early? And it's a good ride, despite being a bit bumpy.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #457 on: February 21, 2023, 04:52:42 PM »
TNT is more forceful than most mine trains and has required a lot more maintenance to my knowledge than most of its type. They have had to essentially retrack portions of it several times, and at one point in my memory they replaced the headers and some supports. S&S is still servicing Arrow stuff, but the company has changed hands so many times you wonder how they are doing these days.

In any case, TNT's tunnel section has been a sore spot for years now and I'm guessing a real fix won't be cheap. Not to mention the jarring turn before the lift hill. It's been a source of injuries and lawsuits I'm sure.

Will be another major kick in the childhood as well as coaster history to see it go, but out of all the classics SDC will have removed/replaced at that point it will be one of the most understandable.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 21, 2023, 06:58:57 PM »
Yea, I really like Titan too.  Their problem seems to be about half the rides are closed on any given day.

——

OFF TOPIC: SFSTL vs SFOT
STL has a better wooden coaster collection. 
STL has the better Freeze (especially now that oT’s goes fwd not backwards)
Both parks have dead areas.
STL has better parking
Both have terrible ride ops
OT is horrible to get to with all of the construction and not the best neighborhood
Honestly the coaster collections are pretty similar, OT does have Titan which gives it the edge barely.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2023, 11:08:25 AM »

So is that a hint that Thunderation 2.0 is on the board?  :)
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2023, 09:32:02 PM »

Just a removal.  I wouldn’t count on a replacement. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #461 on: February 23, 2023, 09:35:01 AM »
There's no way they'll remove yet another popular and storied attraction such as TNT without a replacement of some sort. Probably won't be a real replacement though, just another 'family' coaster. They need to add another family coaster regardless. Something like Firechaser has always been my hope.

Somehow I don't think we'll have to worry about it just yet though unless there is something really wrong with it that would cost a ton of money to fix. I know the tunnel is a pricey repair, but obviously they can still run the ride with the bump, and unless there is a sinkhole under it (actually a high probability) then surely they can cut and reweld the track to smooth it as they have done before.

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 23, 2023, 01:52:13 PM »

Just a removal.  I wouldn’t count on a replacement.

Does this have anything to do with the accident last year?

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 23, 2023, 01:57:42 PM »
There's no way they'll remove yet another popular and storied attraction such as TNT without a replacement of some sort. Probably won't be a real replacement though, just another 'family' coaster. They need to add another family coaster regardless. Something like Firechaser has always been my hope.

Somehow I don't think we'll have to worry about it just yet though unless there is something really wrong with it that would cost a ton of money to fix. I know the tunnel is a pricey repair, but obviously they can still run the ride with the bump, and unless there is a sinkhole under it (actually a high probability) then surely they can cut and reweld the track to smooth it as they have done before.

A sinkhole?  Wouldn't that sink right into marvel cave?  It's basically on top of it.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #464 on: February 23, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »

I am skeptical too (at least within the next 5-10 years) considering they did a huge amount of structural repairs and retracking a year or so ago. From a business perspective it would seem impractical to invest in repairing something that you are just gonna rip out anyways in a couple years unless something really bad was discovered in the process.