Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 124248 times)

tmstephe

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2022, 10:52:13 AM »
Here's a quick picture of the FITH building from Hwy 76 on 4/21

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2022, 10:53:36 AM »
Not sure what I was expecting but this is way closer to the road than I thought it would be.

Here's a quick picture of the FITH building from Hwy 76 on 4/21

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2022, 04:08:59 PM »
Wow, thank you for the updates Swoosh! Yeah, the building does look taller but it could be a matter of perspective. Has anyone gotten wind of SDC interior designs? I'd love to have an actual animatronic or two in the ride versus the 40+ old mannequins. I don't want to give my hopes up too much as I know SDC typically goes pretty minimal with set dressing for cost/time but technology has advanced so much in the last few decades.

The dark ride pitches from a couple of years ago were pretty inclusive with the technology (At least they seemed to be.), but they weren't with a FitH theme.  It seems we're headed to the fire theme - at the least with its location - but hopefully the tech and dressing are full-on inclusive.  Do you put in something halfway in the dark ride department these days?  You can short-change the theming on a roller coaster and the public won't miss it, but I think the audience will know if you cheap out on this one.  Dark rides are all about theming.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2022, 08:02:45 PM »
I wonder how much bigger this will end up?
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2022, 08:12:19 PM »

The building will be twice the size of the current FITH (height and square footage)
SWOOSH

Fergy328

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2022, 10:20:12 AM »

The building will be twice the size of the current FITH (height and square footage)

wowzers. I am very excited for this.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
SWOOSH

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2022, 10:32:28 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/uc0nqy/fire_in_the_hole_v20_sdc_different_angles_of_this/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Very intrigued on how they're going to get the track in there if they're building the show-building first

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2022, 10:34:42 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/uc0nqy/fire_in_the_hole_v20_sdc_different_angles_of_this/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Very intrigued on how they're going to get the track in there if they're building the show-building first

I’m guessing the same way any indoor coaster is built.  For reference see Tron or Guardians of the Galaxy Construction photos
SWOOSH

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2022, 09:08:17 PM »

I’m guessing the same way any indoor coaster is built.  For reference see Tron or Guardians of the Galaxy Construction photos

To be fair Tron had its track erected and then the building. GoTG’s building is much bigger and could accommodate a large crane easily. This will def take some ingenuity and is a reasonable question for someone to have.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2022, 09:50:20 PM »
They could leave half the building incomplete (open) and bring the track in through that opening. The current open area is close to the maintenance area, roadway, etc. - so maybe they just leave that open for a while? If it is an RMC, they do know how to thread the needle with their track construction so they have that experience going for them.

I find it interesting they do not have a large number of bolts/footers in the concrete slab, so maybe the track system will be somewhat self supporting (kind of like a traveling coaster) or they could end up using a Hilti type system to attach the supports to the building foundation? It will be fun to watch this go up this year.

So with that one side of the building going up, do you think they go ahead and remove the shipping crate wall and project the pumpkins on the side of the building?

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2022, 10:59:31 PM »
They could leave half the building incomplete (open) and bring the track in through that opening. The current open area is close to the maintenance area, roadway, etc. - so maybe they just leave that open for a while? If it is an RMC, they do know how to thread the needle with their track construction so they have that experience going for them.

I find it interesting they do not have a large number of bolts/footers in the concrete slab, so maybe the track system will be somewhat self supporting (kind of like a traveling coaster) or they could end up using a Hilti type system to attach the supports to the building foundation? It will be fun to watch this go up this year.

So with that one side of the building going up, do you think they go ahead and remove the shipping crate wall and project the pumpkins on the side of the building?

Jay

The cement slab base is full of rebar and is essentially one big footer
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2022, 04:33:50 PM »
Correct Swoosh, the comment was in regard how the were going to attach the track system to the very large footer. Will they be using a self supporting sytem or one that attaches using a bolt anchoring system such as a Hilti epoxy where they drill bolts and anchor with epoxy.

As an engineer, it’s those “nerdy” things that we like to watch.

Jay

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2022, 02:36:35 PM »
More steel has arrived and is being prepared to be put up. There is also more concrete being poured on the NW end of the area. I’m guessing that it is the station area.

underdog250

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2022, 08:50:01 AM »
I'm starting to get really excited as construction continues. I had no idea how much larger the show building was going to be. As a HUGE dark ride fan I can't think of a dark ride or at least indoor rollercoaster with theming that's been completed in this area since well..Flooded Mine? Worlds of Fun has zero dark rides and Six Flags has Justice League (formerly Scooby-Doo! Ghostblasters). Driving to Dollywood for Mystery Mine & Blazing Fury was definitely worth it seeing.