Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 124366 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
What are the chances this could be what that construction is for behind Fireman's Landing? Think Mystery Mine but with FITH's theme.

https://amusementtoday.com/2021/10/gerstlauer-to-build-one-of-a-kind-infinity-roller-coaster-in-the-united-states/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:11:57 PM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2021, 03:20:41 PM »
I would think the chances are basically nil if they are really rebuilding anything similar to FITH. The RMC powered coaster prototype rumor seems most logically sound.

Plus it would be an odd choice after Time Traveler, especially with two other looping coasters in the park already. They don't need anymore inverting coasters unless it is something unique like a flyer or an invert or something. The park is in far more need of good family coasters. Plural.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2021, 03:24:37 PM »
I would think the chances are basically nil if they are really rebuilding anything similar to FITH. The RMC powered coaster prototype rumor seems most logically sound.

Plus it would be an odd choice after Time Traveler, especially with two other looping coasters in the park already. They don't need anymore inverting coasters unless it is something unique like a flyer or an invert or something. The park is in far more need of good family coasters. Plural.

Agree, they need a tightly woven mess of noniverting Intamin fun.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 07:49:40 AM by chittlins »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2021, 12:54:14 AM »
I was merely going by the logic looking at the parks recent track record. They could have simply rebuilt Lost River as it was with a new layout but they went for the attention getting tallest/wettest/longest by adding a high thrill element with that tower and drop feature on MRF. I have a feeling the FITH rebuild will follow this same pattern.

I would love to be wrong on this one tho.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 12:57:51 AM by sdcfan88 »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »
^ If they change anything I would hope they would go with animatronics.  Nothing too scary for kids but it would be nice to see the Baldknobbers move like the Pirates of the Caribbean.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2021, 07:41:56 PM »
^ If they change anything I would hope they would go with animatronics.  Nothing too scary for kids but it would be nice to see the Baldknobbers move like the Pirates of the Caribbean.

Don’t count on Baldknobbers.  I’d expect a theme more like Blazing Fury where they focus on firefighters putting out fires around town.  No explanation on how they started
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2021, 08:41:06 PM »

Don’t count on Baldknobbers.  I’d expect a theme more like Blazing Fury where they focus on firefighters putting out fires around town.  No explanation on how they started

I expect that the Baldknobbers are done for. Not because they require too much explanation, because even 50 years ago they were highly local lore, and much of the park's theming explained the story of Marmaros and the Baldknobbers for those "foreign" visitors from places as remote as Springfield and Arkansas.

No, I expect they'll be gone because people no longer want explanations, and don't have the patience for it.

People today become outraged by seeing capirotes worn by Spanish penitents. They don't have time to learn that the auto-da-fé was what you oughtn't to do, but do anyway. ;)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2021, 09:58:03 AM »

I think the best that we will get is some Easter eggs thrown in. But, with the old ride operating until the new is opened even that might not happen.

As for animatronics, I am hoping they go with screens and projection mapping. The new attractions coming out with this technology are simply amazing. Hopefully it is not cost prohibitive and less maintenance to go this way.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2021, 11:44:33 AM »
So is this the last year for FITH?  Will they definitely tear down the old building next year?  Or keep it open until the new ride is finished? I can't imagine them going through a whole year with the loss of one of the few indoor rides they have.  Of course this is all assumption that the new ride will be the FITH replacement.  We still don't know anything officially.
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2021, 01:17:09 PM »
While at the park on Saturday, I overheard one of the guest craft vendors tell another visitor to enjoy FITH because it will be gone after this year.

So this year is possibly the last year of FITH instead of next year?

No.  We have heard FITH2.0 could open either 2022 or 2023.  A lot depends on how the new ride system responds.

Well I asked pretty much the same question without a clear cut answer.  When Pudgy Jones says rumor says "it will be gone after THIS year"  I figured this means after the 21 season and next would be after the 22 season.  Swoosh mentioned the 22 or 23 season but was talking about when the new ride would open and not when the old FITH would close.

The best I can determine is when the new FITH opens whether it be 22 or 23 the old FITH would immediately shut down and cease operations.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2021, 10:48:04 AM »
I am expecting the announcement to be made in August next year and to see FITH close down around then so they can start demolishing the area and constructing the new train station or whatever they have planned. Hopefully they'll give everyone plenty of advanced warning, but they didn't when FM was torn down... They only gave a couple weeks warning before taking down geyser gulch.

I hope they do have some practical effects, animatronics, and plenty of goofy mannequin scenes like the old ride. If they don't preserve the red flander's scene then we'll know they really don't care about anything SDC anymore.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2021, 12:34:57 PM »
I am expecting the announcement to be made in August next year and to see FITH close down around then so they can start demolishing the area and constructing the new train station or whatever they have planned. Hopefully they'll give everyone plenty of advanced warning, but they didn't when FM was torn down... They only gave a couple weeks warning before taking down geyser gulch.

I hope they do have some practical effects, animatronics, and plenty of goofy mannequin scenes like the old ride. If they don't preserve the red flander's scene then we'll know they really don't care about anything SDC anymore.

When you say FM, I assume you mean LR.

I've been thinking about the Red Flanders scene and wondering if, at least, it might still mention the Bald Knobbers, even if Bald Knobbers do not appear in the ride itself.  Might that still be an approach to keep the historical and geographical theme and not simply make another generic ride focused on fire fighting?

Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2021, 01:44:52 PM »
Judging how long the wait lines have been for FITH I would say most, if any, are not offended by the Baldknobber theme.  As you said earlier, HB, the only negative things we've heard have been on this site.  But SDC does need to keep things in the queue line explaining the story.  I would hate to think they would get rid of the iconic picture to the right of the queue line when you come into the building explaining the fire- even if it's not that accurate to history as to the burning of Marmaros.
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2021, 03:39:51 PM »
I would suspect if they would of had too many complaints about the Baldknobber theme that it would have disappeared by now.  At least in the past it seemed things were smoothed over when it came to hillbillies and guns.  Still they may take the road to try and stay pc and just not have them in the new ride.

I saw somewhere that someone said the saloon part of FITH was going to be incorporated into the new FITH which would be pretty nice.  Now if they would just bring everything else.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2021, 06:14:15 PM »
Oh, there are plenty of comments you can overhear just from people waiting in line. It only takes one dingus to make a stink for it to go "viral" that SDC has a "KKK ride". It's dumb obviously, but it's exactly the type of dumb thing that they might be worried about. It would be nice if they could keep a few baldknobbers around with a little context added, but SDC has gotten worse about telling stories well through theming. Remember how TT's queue was supposed to be a "clock factory"? lol

Anyway, just noticed Carr Excavating has posted some fresh photos from the dig site. Looks like they are still in the throes of uncovering electric lines and laying utilities.