Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 124186 times)

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 12:36:26 PM »
Also, if you want a different view of some land clearing and construction equipment that isn't on the train, go to the pumpkin plaza whenever it opens and go to the left of the giant screen. Look through the fence and you'll see a lot of clearing and digging. I'll get pics when I go back to work on Tuesday.

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
Any idea what the space created by demolishing FITH could be used for?

pintrader

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 01:12:00 PM »
I was thinking someone mentioned that might be the location of the new train station.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 05:52:14 PM »
I'm sure they COULD save the old FITH if they wanted to, but the issue here is return on investment. Spending upwards of $10 million to re-model an existing ride only to end up with a somewhat updated version of that ride is not going to generate nearly as much hype or ticket sales as building a large new ride for $15-20 million, not to mention all the theoretical logistical improvements from having a bigger, better, modern space that is designed for the crowds SDC has now and not the crowds they did back in the 60's.

They could have simply replaced the lost river in place as well with new troughs and a new water supply, but Mystic River got them national attention whereas even yearly visitors may not have noticed an upgrade to Lost River.

There has been speculation that they want to build a new train station since the old one doesn't even fit a full train load and has always been a logistical sticking point. They don't even use the store space hardly anymore, and few people can get to the concession booth inside. I don't know though, they might just tear down Flooded Mine one of these days along with the train station and build a big new train station across the two spots. Anything is possible at this point. There are few left at the park who care about preserving anything vintage SDC. All we can ask is that they at least don't completely ignore the theme when they build a new ride. I still say I like the marvel cave tie in to Mystic River and that they did a good job with that one. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 06:30:56 PM »
I was thinking someone mentioned that might be the location of the new train station.

I doubt that would happen, thats is some prime real estate for another ride/attraction.

pintrader

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 07:11:06 PM »

I doubt that would happen, thats is some prime real estate for another ride/attraction.

I think their thought was it would be closer to the round house for the engineers.  Then open up for redevelopment the area of the old station and FM when removed.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 09:16:22 PM »

I think their thought was it would be closer to the round house for the engineers.  Then open up for redevelopment the area of the old station and FM when removed.

Thats a lot of area where FITH is now, Be a lot of space to reuse, be interestingto see drawings of that proposal.

IF they did make it the new station,
then the old station and FM would probably be revamped all at 1 time into an all new attraction..  Another interesting drawing to see..

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2021, 09:07:01 AM »
Removing FITH would open up the opportunity to run a pathway/crossing back there and connect to Outlaw Run's area. Would make it a bit less of a confusing dead end, which is something the park has been working slowly towards removing. Eventually we'll be able to walk around the lake, from GE to FL, and maybe even from Wildfire to Powderkeg one day.

There is a lot of space there, so I'm sure they could try to shove in another ride as well. Maybe a drop tower like DW's?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2021, 09:29:43 AM »
Removing FITH would open up the opportunity to run a pathway/crossing back there and connect to Outlaw Run's area. Would make it a bit less of a confusing dead end, which is something the park has been working slowly towards removing. Eventually we'll be able to walk around the lake, from GE to FL, and maybe even from Wildfire to Powderkeg one day.

There is a lot of space there, so I'm sure they could try to shove in another ride as well. Maybe a drop tower like DW's?

Oh. I think they would for sure put something else in there besides just the station.. too many square feet for just the train.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2021, 08:41:16 PM »

Oh. I think they would for sure put something else in there besides just the station.. too many square feet for just the train.

It would also allow for the huge line for the train at Christmas.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2021, 09:40:31 PM »
FITH area will be home to the new train depot.
Queue for Saloon will be put into that area as well.
Ben talk about Opera House getting new entrance over there as well.
Fry Bread might be removed with the new revamp of this area.

Basically nothing is sacred in this area and don’t expect to recognize it once it is completed

Working timeline
2023: new FITH opens / walls go up around old / demo by summer / construction of new depot to follow
2024: new depot opens / old depot closed off / demo by summer / natural look by fall
2025: SW26 construction begins
2026: SW26 opens
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2021, 08:04:24 AM »
Fry Bread might be removed with the new revamp of this area.

I always think every time I walk by that Fry Bread eatery that this is the craziest place to put something like this.  I mean right in the middle of the walkway.  Maybe their idea was....well they can't miss this.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2021, 08:55:07 AM »
2025: SW26 construction begins
2026: SW26 opens

Any hints?  :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2021, 09:04:57 AM »
I notice no one is crying out for Fireman's Cemetery, lol! That is one of the last remnants of the tongue and cheek old SDC that I barely notice myself anymore, but will miss. That particular brand of humor defined the park for the first few generations, but now it probably seems sacrilegious.

pintrader

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2021, 09:36:05 AM »
It's kind of hard to imagine we are going to lose Lost River, FITH, Train Station, FM and probably AP within a 10 year period.  Who would have thought that just a few years back.