Author Topic: Lighting at night throughout the park  (Read 2137 times)

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Lighting at night throughout the park
« on: July 01, 2021, 11:10:44 AM »
After attending moonlight madness a few times as well as the pumpkin festival - I quickly learned that there is almost no ambient "Period"  General lighting anywhere in the park. There are "porch" lights and such from most shops and food stands but general "see things around you" lighting. there is none - I think this is a great missed opportunity.

The park is amazing during the day at keeping the 1800's alive but at night it looks like you are wandering through some dark neighborhood where 1/2 the lights are off. You totally lose the feel of the time period. I realize that in the past the park closed early enough that night lighting was unneeded in the summer. Now with Christmas, Halloween, new year, and moonlight madness, I think they should upgrade the entire park and put in substantial lighting to make the nights look as good as the day.

Does anyone know if this is in the plans anywhere?.

With advances in LED lighting it would not be difficult to make the buildings stand out without huge floodlights or intrusive fixtures -  example - the newer lanterns placed in the flooded mine - they added a ton to the look. and fit in perfectly.  Similar lamps could be placed all over and and really bring beauty and excitement to the nights in the park.     anyone feel differently?

pintrader

Re: Lighting at night throughout the park
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 12:11:33 PM »
I don't like stumbling around in the dark but I think the lighting now is pretty adequate.  When you say "put in substantial lighting to make the night look as good as the day" seems to me would effect Pumpkin Nights and Old Time Christmas in a negative way.   OTC especially since they should rely on their own lights for effect.

I would need to see it implemented to really make a judgement on it but as I picture it in my head now I would say no.  I mean in the 1880's the lighting could not have been too good on the streets at night  :)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 02:03:00 PM »
With the makeover of the Rivertown area, they did add themed general lighting to the area. I think that we will see them gradually work around the park updating general night lighting. Really, they never needed it in the past because OTC was about the only time that they were open late and the Christmas lights provide enough lighting that general street lighting isn't needed.

I agree that some areas of the park could really use some nice, themed general lighting fixtures though.

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 03:21:44 PM »
this is what I had in mind - enough lighting to see the buildings under awnings ans such - lights in the upper windows and sign lighting would not have to be extreme to make a difference.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 03:17:58 PM »
The park is amazing during the day at keeping the 1800's alive but at night it looks like you are wandering through some dark neighborhood where 1/2 the lights are off.

All the lights being off is very period appropriate for the 1880s. Kerosene cost money, which is why people used as little artificial lighting as possible.