Author Topic: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports  (Read 76159 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »
I hope all involved are ok.. We will be at the park this Thursday & Friday. Going with my wife, my brother, 2 of my nephews who are in their 30s, and their girlfriends. Gunna be a trip! Gunna try to make a picture video of our trip, will post it when it is done. Anyone else be there?!
Live life like it's the last day!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2021, 11:42:04 PM »
OR has reopened
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2021, 02:45:48 PM »
Has anyone that has visited this summer seen the Rainmaker show?  We were there last the first Fri-Sat of June and I was told then that they planned to bring the Rainmaker show back during the summer.  Just curious.
I'm Your Huckleberry

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2021, 03:07:08 PM »
Made it to the park Thurs & Fri. Didnt go to the park Thurs until around 7p, it was freaking HOT - HUMID!! We had relatives from Tenn with us, so we just walked around the park. Rode FITH & walked through GM, & watched the fireworks show. They went to SDC breakfast and got the rotating table. lol! Enjoyed opening ceremonies & headed for MRF's. Waited 30 minutes for the actual ride to open. Got on, got wet.. Then hit one of the corners of the ride & my wifes cheek bounced off my shoulder. She was ok, but, just as we got to the lift, it stopped. Waited about 10 minutes & they got us all off the ride. They did give us a voucher for a free ride of our choice. Had some other relatives from Springfield meet up with us, & all of us rode FITH. After that we all sat around & talked for an hour or so. Got some slushes, walked through some of the shops, & enjoyed just hanging out with family. The wife & i left around 1p, got something to eat in Branson West, & went swimming in the motel. Our other folk rode FM & used the vouchers for another ride on MRF's. Thursday was busier than Friday. Friday seemed bearable, temp wise. They got back around 3p, we ate & went & played mini golf & called it a day. Went to bed early, got up early, & headed home. All around it was a great trip. We may not have done much, but it was fun just being with family at SDC. Considering our parents took us back in the 70s. I made a picture video of our trip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5bqHDQbwhI That is the link to it on YouTube. Did see the John & Amy Burton folks walking by, but just didnt have time to say hi. We have figured out that maybe next time we will go when it is a little cooler, but we are all ok. Till next time, see ya later & have fun at SDC!! :)
Live life like it's the last day!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2021, 06:42:32 PM »
Finally made it for the first time in two years.  Not much has changed (outside of the riverfront).

We were pleased with MRF and thought it was a tremendous improvement over LR.  The ride was smooth (not bouncing off the channel walls), and we enjoyed the spinning (didn't think it was too much).  I did have to hold on to the rail pretty tightly coming down the fall (didn't expect that).  Feet got soaked, but not too wet otherwise; the folks across from us got drenched.

I was far from pleased, however, with the queue.  First of all, a few signs on the wall counts as theming, but I want more immersive theming.  Secondly, the queue was filthy, and I mean Six Flags 1999 filthy.  It was 11am, and clearly, no one had been through there for any kind of trash pickup or thorough sweeping.  The edges around the walls and props were all kinds of gunky with refuse.  That would be unacceptable if I was managing the area.

It's Wednesday, and we were all ridden out (no shows or shops this time around) and home (two hours away) by 6:15.  Pretty much walk-on to everything except MRF (40 minutes).
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2021, 07:55:23 PM »
I was far from pleased, however, with the queue.  First of all, a few signs on the wall counts as theming, but I want more immersive theming.  Secondly, the queue was filthy, and I mean Six Flags 1999 filthy.  It was 11am, and clearly, no one had been through there for any kind of trash pickup or thorough sweeping.  The edges around the walls and props were all kinds of gunky with refuse.  That would be unacceptable if I was managing the area.

Wow!

That's not a "back in Miss Mary's Day" issue, that's something I would never expect at SDC no matter who's in charge.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2021, 11:08:20 PM »
Finally made it for the first time in two years.  Not much has changed (outside of the riverfront).

We were pleased with MRF and thought it was a tremendous improvement over LR.  The ride was smooth (not bouncing off the channel walls), and we enjoyed the spinning (didn't think it was too much).  I did have to hold on to the rail pretty tightly coming down the fall (didn't expect that).  Feet got soaked, but not too wet otherwise; the folks across from us got drenched.

It's Wednesday, and we were all ridden out (no shows or shops this time around) and home (two hours away) by 6:15.  Pretty much walk-on to everything except MRF (40 minutes).

Regarding theming in MRF queue, at least there is some.  There wasn’t any in LR’s.

As for the trash upkeep.  There’s a reason.  Not my place to go into too much detail.  Been a rough year. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2021, 12:25:04 PM »
I actually really liked the MRF theming apart from the weird billboard. It's about an average level of theming for a ride at SDC. The rockwork is truly stunning.

At least you made it on the ride! How long did you have to wait?

Those staffing issues are still a problem and it isn't getting better. In fact, I have heard it is actually getting worse as people burn out. SDC has been trying band aid solutions for too long. They should pulled a Cedar Fair and built employee housing. They actually used to do this at one point. They simply can't get enough people right now. I don't know what they'll do this winter...

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »
I actually really liked the MRF theming apart from the weird billboard. It's about an average level of theming for a ride at SDC. The rockwork is truly stunning.

At least you made it on the ride! How long did you have to wait?

Those staffing issues are still a problem and it isn't getting better. In fact, I have heard it is actually getting worse as people burn out. SDC has been trying band aid solutions for too long. They should pulled a Cedar Fair and built employee housing. They actually used to do this at one point. They simply can't get enough people right now. I don't know what they'll do this winter...

40 minute wait since we got there at 10:40.  We were two riders, so they called us to jump the line about three boats.  By that time, the line had extended to about twice the length (as the day was getting hotter).

The ride is stunning.  It's just the queue.  I wish SDC would invest in more than signage.

As for the filth in the queue, it's the only place I noticed in the park that was in that condition.  I realize staffing is weak at this point, but it's not a job that would take that long.  Delay the opening of the ride for 15 minutes if you have to.  This has not been cleaned for a long time - probably all season.  Just to sweep it once a month would be an improvement.  An area host might need to make some rounds to notice.

All in all, we had a great (albeit hot) day.  That was really just one comment about an otherwise enjoyable time.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2021, 08:14:07 AM »
They should pulled a Cedar Fair and built employee housing.

Dollywood just announced that they are building new onsite seasonal employee housing.
https://www.wvlt.tv/2021/08/12/dollywood-constructing-housing-seasonal-workers/

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2021, 08:38:21 AM »
^Of course, DW seems like they are always on their game. Not sure why SDC doesn't have the same amount of vision behind it. Maybe it's because HFEC management is too busy buying aquariums that don't even make money. These guys have been around long enough to know what the park needs. Back in 2003 they brought over hundreds of foreign workers because that's what it took with both CC and SDC open at the same time. Whatever it takes.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2021, 01:00:50 PM »
^Just a small issue with bringing in foreign workers right now … borders are closed to new visas.  Why do you think ALL parks are having issues with staffing this summer.  SDC did pull in some larger groups from around the country to work this summer but they’re all gone now since college is starting back up.

Cedar Fair is going to be announcing worker dorms at most of their properties soon.  This will probably be the way parks have to go to survive
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2021, 01:17:51 PM »
Yeah I'm aware of the visa issues, just saying they have gone to lengths in the past to keep the park staffed, but now I'm not seeing the same level of effort. I feel like they aren't offering enough incentives, and haven't been focused on retention very well for a long time. Even before covid hit retention was an issue.

Which will SDC get first - dorms or a resort? We needed both years ago, IMO.

The park is advertising kids prices this weekend. Will be interesting to see if that packs it out like the $35 thursdays used to sometimes. It's going to be stormy off and on though.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2021, 08:40:37 PM »
J-1 visas are for "cultural exchange", and sticking those workers in back-of-house roles is a big no-no. They're supposed to engage directly with American culture, even if language (or other) barriers don't make them well suited for that.

It happens, but sponsors also get their host status revoked when it's called out.

Sponsors have to line up housing and guarantee transportation.

They get a tax break, because they don't have to contribute the employer's portion of FICA.

tmstephe

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2021, 07:10:37 AM »
I know this year has been atypical for crowds, but what might I expect on opening day/weekend of OTC (Nov. 6-7)?  We’ve been there many times on Thanksgiving weekend and one time the week between Christmas and New Year’s, but want to try going earlier this time. Thanks.