Author Topic: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports  (Read 77401 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
^ there’s a reason it’s referred to as “Mistake River Fails”

Just think, if everything you said about MRF is common knowledge, just think what isn’t common. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2021, 09:41:55 AM »
Likely couple a 400lb. heifers at the very front the raft.

Was that mean? Likely, but possibly true.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2021, 01:10:47 PM »
Mystic River Falls has been reporting wait times since just before 10 this morning.
Anyone know if the fence is still up?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2021, 03:31:33 PM »
They couldn't keep LR, but literally no one asked for the giant drop. I get that it looks cool and was a big marketing thing, but man what a blunder this whole ride has been. 2 years into operation and they can't even run enough boats, let alone even fill them to capacity with a full 8 riders. I am curious what the end result will be. The new fencing going up around the ride implies that they are going to make structural modifications to the ride again. Let's pray that it works this time. Otherwise it may end up like Buzzsaw Falls - limp around for a few years and then get reconstructed into a new ride - "The Revenge of Mystic River Falls"  ;D

Anyway, back to crowd discussions: apparently crowds were pretty light this weekend. This seems to be typical for SDC on major weekends. Often people expect it to be super crowded so no one comes, lol. Plus the heat with few water rides running...

I may be in the minority here but I like MRF.  I think it's an improvement on Lost River and part of that is the drop.  I didn't always get wet on Lost River but I always do on MRF which is why I ride a water ride in the first place.  But of course, I loved Buzzsaw Falls as well  :P
I'm Your Huckleberry

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2021, 07:27:08 PM »
 ;D ::) lol with Buzzsaw Falls being brought up again I think its safe to say when it comes to SDC any water ride with the word "Falls" in it's name is gonna be doomed to be cursed with problems.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 07:29:21 PM by sdcfan88 »

Bogart

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2021, 07:51:18 PM »
So I had my first (and probably last) experience with MRF today.  Kids and I had been excited about the ride and this was our first opportunity to see it. When we got in line, we were informed that the ride had broken down but they were currently testing boats so it was assumed that it would be fixed shortly. We went ahead and got in line and waited about 15 minutes before it was up and running.

At that point, we waited another 1hr 15min and were about 2/3 through the line to the loading area.  They were only running maybe 6-8 boats. The lift only had a boat on every other platform when it would go up.

After 1hr 30min total wait time at that point, it was announced that the ride had broken down again. They said they had no idea how long it would take to fix and since the park was closing in an hour, it might not be running again.  The group in front of us said they would wait it out because they were in line yesterday when it broken down then and this was their only chance to ride it.  Kids and I figured 1.5 hrs of our day was sufficient to waste on standing in line and moved on to fire in the hole.

If we are there next time and there doesn’t happen to be a line at the time, I might try it but probably not. Looks like a fun ride but if it breaks down every day and sometimes multiple times, not worth the risk to me of wasting all that time with nothing to show for it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2021, 08:09:53 PM »
I'm surprised it was open again with that fence around it. So maybe they just want to block views in case there is ever another "incident"  ::)

Running with just a handful of half full boats is embarrassing. This ride was supposed to be a people eater. Lost River had an order of magnitude better put-through. The more I look through guest experiences, the more disappointing stories of waiting for hours I see. It's crazy how bad they screwed this up.

We mumbled about it last year, but at that point it was a new ride and the pandemic took most of the attention off it anyway. I figured they would work on it significantly over the off season and figure it out for this year. Now it seems like it runs even worse than ever. I think it would probably be better if they just shut it down until they can make it work as originally intended, but then I guess that might be a PR disaster too. Not sure which is worse at this point. 

;D ::) lol with Buzzsaw Falls being brought up again I think its safe to say when it comes to SDC any water ride with the word "Falls" in it's name is gonna be doomed to be cursed with problems.

Honestly it's pretty much any water ride at this point. The waterboggin was a fiasco of it's own after they attempted to "improve" it around 2003. I'm surprised they didn't screw up Tom & Huck's, although they didn't push any limits with it except the amount of theming that they don't take care of.

SDC just needs to add a couple water rides that are well themed but otherwise standard in every way.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2021, 08:37:56 PM »

Honestly it's pretty much any water ride at this point. The waterboggin was a fiasco of it's own after they attempted to "improve" it around 2003. I'm surprised they didn't screw up Tom & Huck's, although they didn't push any limits with it except the amount of theming that they don't take care of.

SDC just needs to add a couple water rides that are well themed but otherwise standard in every way.

With the Waterboggin in its early life before the "improvement" I had thought it was alright? Though to be fair I was still pretty young during those days. I do remember it being closed most of the time in its later years after though. (A classic case of if it ain't broke don't fix it.) I do think if SDC wanted another big water slide ride they should've just taken that big splash boat ride that opened towards the end of CC's life and relocated it up there around Lake Silver or around the former Waterboggin site. Wasn't it open for like 1 season down there?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:22:38 PM by sdcfan88 »

pintrader

« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2021, 09:02:58 PM »
The problem with the Waterworks Waterboggan was quite a few injuries at the end of the ride with an abrupt stop that was throwing riders into each other.

As far as MRF running with half full boats is because they were asking the day we rode if we wanted to ride alone or with someone.  We had a total of 2 people in our group and could have rode by ourselves but thought it would be better with a group.  They could start trying to fill the boats fuller and maybe make a difference on the long waits.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2021, 09:49:20 PM »
”a raft didn’t have proper weight distribution which resulted in the raft almost tipping when it reached the bottom of the drop. There was a collar bone related injury”. They went on to explain that the walls were put up to preserve the theme of the area, while the ride was being tested with weighted dummy riders to determine what happened. Apparently they were happy with the test results, and/or any adjustments made, as Mystic River Falls was said to have reopened to riders once again on Monday.
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2021, 08:25:51 AM »

You could have made the point without being insulting.  If you feel the need to insult others like this, I suggest you re-examine your motives.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2021, 08:10:52 PM »

You could have made the point without being insulting.  If you feel the need to insult others like this, I suggest you re-examine your motives.

Guests of larger proportions were situated on the same side which caused a discrepancy in weight distribution on the raft causing an incident
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2021, 09:33:57 AM »
Screamscape now telling people that a ride op told them the issue was caused by low water level. Doesn't seem to alleviate many concerns... either way it seems the ride wasn't designed well. After a 1.5 years of operation you'd think they'd have things like the drop sorted out better, to say nothing of the capacity issues.

Feels like it'll be a busy weekend in Branson this weekend. Nice and warm, but not oppressively hot. 89 for Saturday, and only 81 for Sunday.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2021, 01:32:28 PM »
When I rode MRF a couple of weeks ago, it appeared like most of the boats were full or near full. It still was a long wait though...probably about an hour.

pintrader

« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2021, 02:13:07 PM »
I would say an hour or more will be the norm since we are now in midsummer and basically still a new ride.  Even on Lost River in the latter years there were long waits when the weather warmed up.