Author Topic: Branson Strip 2020  (Read 16061 times)

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Branson Strip 2020
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »
Dannas is good. Really good. I do wish they had some wait staff walking around asking if you’d like another beer though. Their process is fast and efficient but not conductive for 2-3 beers. Only go to branson west location.

Gettin basted was good when I tried it but it’s not like it took my breath away. I’d go back.

Havent tried Big Ds.

Pickin porch grill is somewhere I’d like to get back to soon.

I absolutely cannot believe someone put branson center stage as their favorite. Ugh. Horrible service and rank establishment.

As far as SDC, their prices on actual meals are really reasonable, especially considering you can get icewater free. In a theme park their prices are pretty good. I too believe quality at times lacks, it seems it’s hit or miss. One sad thing is the wagon works grill. Maybe its just bad luck, but the last three times I’ve been there the burgers and fries have been blah. They used to have delicious burgers hot off the grill. Didn’t have a bad meal there for 20 years and then BAM the last three times have been burnt and blah.

I won’t do cinnamon bread again because of the new place and price. Treats will be at eva and delilahs or hannahs ice cream.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 12:05:33 PM »
I’d also agree some places in Branson strip have seen better days.
Branson just has a surplus of hotels, they have for years. Now you add all the new condos and homeaway, airbnb, etc. and the market for places to stay is oversaturated. I never understood staying on the strip myself with a lake so close by and I think more people are doing that now along with less visitors, but I usually stay in a hotel one night over christmas before moving out to a condo for a few more nights.

Quality went way downhill on a few hotels, too. Theres a few hotels I miss that deserved to stay and more than a few that should have gone bye bye.

Some of the eyesores in branson are so easy to fix. Parking lots full of cracks and weeds at active theaters. Heck give me five bucks and I’ll go spray those weeds for ya and pull stuff and be done quick. Take some pride in where you perform!
 Also it doesnt take much to pour asphalt over the lot.

Theres good too so it isnt like its all bad.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2020, 12:20:20 PM »
I just checked my receipts.  It was $19.25 for 2 meats 2 sides AND a refill.

I sure did remember 19.99 or 20.00 but maybe I am mistaken  Did you get a discount?  You prepaid for a refill?
Maybe it is 20.00 for lunch or dinner with a drink.  For my pocketbook  thats a steep price for what you are getting.  Value is a personal perception.  What may seem steep to me may be just right to you.  It will all flush itself out in the end.  I still think eating a late breakfast is the best value in the park.

Other than the normal season pass discount on food, no.  The 2 meat + 2 sides + 1 regular mug refill (at current price) is $19.25 for a season passholder.  This is right on par with almost every park I’ve been to this year and still bellow Universal and Disney for similar items. 
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2020, 12:32:59 AM »
When it comes to on-park prices, you're not just paying for the food. You're paying for not having to leave the park and have a two hour round trip to eat somewhere else.

I get that.

Meat prices have soared this year. Import restrictions, the 'Rona, panic buying... it's all part of it. Regardless, meat prices for restaurants are higher. Customers will pay that price.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »
I absolutely cannot believe someone put branson center stage as their favorite. Ugh. Horrible service and rank establishment.

Ha ha! Agreed. I went to Center Stage this week because I read on here that it was good. The food was average, but the entertainment and sound system was awful. We won't be going back there. Terrible atmosphere.

We also went to the new restaurant at the Shepherd of the Hills and enjoyed it. The food was good, and it is a nice atmosphere. We will go back.

We went to Wonder Works, and I felt like I was in a Covid factory. No face masks on anyone, and every exhibit was hands-on.

We enjoyed the new BBQ joint at SDC. I didn't find the prices unreasonable, and the food was good. The cinnamon bread is good as usual, but the new shop feels like it was decorated by HGTV. I would describe the interior as "Ozark Chic". It just feels sterile. In the future, we will enjoy our cinnamon bread in the dining area next to MRF.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »
We went to Center Stage last year and the service was pretty slow even though the place was empty. Steak was not cooked correctly and the singer up there sounded like a cow dying in a pasture.  I hate to be mean but that is the facts.  That said we would probably try them again, maybe. 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »
We went to Center Stage last year and the service was pretty slow even though the place was empty. Steak was not cooked correctly and the singer up there sounded like a cow dying in a pasture.  I hate to be mean but that is the facts.  That said we would probably try them again, maybe.

That's better than the steak sounding like a cow dying in a pasture.  That's a little too rare in my opinion.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2020, 06:56:10 PM »
I’d also agree some places in Branson strip have seen better days.
Branson just has a surplus of hotels, they have for years. Now you add all the new condos and homeaway, airbnb, etc. and the market for places to stay is oversaturated. I never understood staying on the strip myself with a lake so close by and I think more people are doing that now along with less visitors, but I usually stay in a hotel one night over christmas before moving out to a condo for a few more nights.

Quality went way downhill on a few hotels, too. Theres a few hotels I miss that deserved to stay and more than a few that should have gone bye bye.

Some of the eyesores in branson are so easy to fix. Parking lots full of cracks and weeds at active theaters. Heck give me five bucks and I’ll go spray those weeds for ya and pull stuff and be done quick. Take some pride in where you perform!
 Also it doesnt take much to pour asphalt over the lot.

Theres good too so it isnt like its all bad.

Also with the crackdowns on the absentee owner extended stays, Branson is looking a little rough. I haven't been down through there since I transferred to a new work location in Springfield, plus COVID didn't help that. Branson has got some work to do to get parts of it cleaned up. Working on the homeless and meth problems would also go a very long way to making the place look better. When I worked in Branson we would be running homeless off daily, and deals for meth and opioids would take place in the parking lot constantly. And that's not even mentioning the amount of times police would come by looking for surveillance footage for yet another tourist that had their credit cards stolen because they left them in their unlocked cars at theaters.

My parents still live in the Branson area and have said that its not looking good and the amount of places closed because of COVID. Its probably going to take a couple of years before the area recovers.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »
I agree that the strip looks tired and worn out.  But, I don't think it will take Branson long to recover when you look at other aspects. It's impossible to rent a boat, a boat slip, find a paddle, or a last minute room/condo.  Pt. Royale is full every night. The lake has exploded this summer.  Yes, it's flooded, but we parked a quarter mile away to get to our marina last week.  A guy pulling up behind us couldn't find a spot on the side of the road, so he parked in the road. Unfortunately, many new boaters and those renting a boat for the first time have kept the water patrol busier than they have been in five years.  That's straight from their mouth - not a guesstimate by me. Ex.: a couple jet skiers noticed an 8yr. old child bobbing in the water.  They picked the poor freaked kid up, and took off to find the boat that he fell out of.  He was delivered safely to a boat that didn't know he fell out.  Seriously!  How can that even happen??? We have friends that wanted to stay at Big Cedar for a week, and they can't get in until after Sept. They're on a waiting list.  A few others wanted to camp and said finding a camp space is no picnic either. Dogwood Canyon is packed out every day.     
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:23:47 PM by Gilligan »

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2020, 01:45:21 PM »
People are definitely coming the area more and more for nature than anything else. That's a big part of the reason why the strip is dying. Wonderworks and the new aquarium will hopefully help. The biggest problem I feel is the lack of new types of attractions. You can only do the museums, shows, mini golf, go carts, etc so much. So much of the tourism that Branson relies on is repeat visitors. SDC and the lakes are the big draws now.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »
People are definitely coming the area more and more for nature than anything else. That's a big part of the reason why the strip is dying. Wonderworks and the new aquarium will hopefully help. The biggest problem I feel is the lack of new types of attractions. You can only do the museums, shows, mini golf, go carts, etc so much. So much of the tourism that Branson relies on is repeat visitors. SDC and the lakes are the big draws now.

The 76 plan seemed to include dressing up the strip.  It would greatly improve the strip to plant some trees and do some nature work in the areas that are lacking interest.  Maybe just some "bones" ( Trees, Roses, Shrubs) that time and nature would improve upon.  The intersections and those congested "waiting areas" could use some plantings and this would seem to go with the nature vibe of Branson.   Maybe this plan has died or they are just unable to afford some minimal investment in the future.  It seems the strip of blinking lights from the 80's is dead and maybe out of favor?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:53:35 PM by mhguy77 »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
Dogwood Canyon is packed out every day.   

Maybe Johnny Morris will start buying up The Strip and turn it into something worthwhile again. Love him or hate him he does have magnificent properties.

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2020, 06:26:11 PM »

The 76 plan seemed to include dressing up the strip.  It would greatly improve the strip to plant some trees and do some nature work in the areas that are lacking interest.  Maybe just some "bones" ( Trees, Roses, Shrubs) that time and nature would improve upon.  The intersections and those congested "waiting areas" could use some plantings and this would seem to go with the nature vibe of Branson.   Maybe this plan has died or they are just unable to afford some minimal investment in the future.  It seems the strip of blinking lights from the 80's is dead and maybe out of favor?

Last I remember is that the city had run out of funding for the project. They got as far as burying a lot of the utility lines and that was it. I think the overruns, both time and budget, on the downtown revitalization really derailed the Spirit of 76 project. I still enjoy seeing all the lights on the strip, brings back memories from when I would vacation here as a kid. Seeing some trees and shrubs along 76 would go a long way to improving the look of it.

Edit: Yep, lack of funding is what put it on hold

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Branson-but-brakes-for-now-on-Spirit-of-76-streetscape-project-428083533.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:28:37 PM by Citydweller84 »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2020, 10:14:05 AM »
Weren't they expecting federal money for the revitalization of the strip, but they started before the money was in hand?  I remember discussions about needing to finish the small section they started and struggling to fund that without the feds money.