Author Topic: Going back to SDC  (Read 71737 times)

Jaykethekid

• View Profile
Re: Going back to SDC
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2020, 10:35:20 PM »
You're not the first person I've seen mention poor ride operations recently. All I keep hearing is how they're only running one train on coasters, one side on barn swing etc regardless of wait times. You'd think that they'd have more than one train to compensate for the lost capacity due to social distancing. I'd hope that they try to at least keep the dispatch times short, but I still don't quite understand their cleaning process. I keep hearing that they
 either clean after every cycle or they clean after a certain number of cycles. I've even heard someone say that they will clean the entire train if they spot someone remove their mask while on ride. I guess I'll just have to see for myself next week.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2020, 10:48:06 PM »
PowderKeg - 1 train. Slow ops. Random cleaning. 
WildFire - 1 train.  Molasses ops.  Line actually went upstairs. 
Outlaw Run - 1 train.  Decent ops. 
Time Traveler - 2 trains.  Good ops.
TNT - 2 trains. Decent ops. 

The most ridiculous....
The Giant Swing - 1 arm.  Loading maybe 6 people at a time. 
Train - every other row.  Must spray down entire train after each run

Closed due to Covid....
Grandfather’s Mansion
Fireman’s Landing play area and Ball area
Tree Climb in HDH

I’ll have a report probably tomorrow. 
The whole entry process was a joke.  I mean even Six Flags can figure this out, so I expected better
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:25:52 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2020, 12:52:04 AM »
I’m new to the forum. I am 27 years old from Oklahoma and have been a SP holder for approx. 15 years. I travel to SDC quite often, but Saturday (June 20) I was at the park. Here’s my experience:

I really felt “things” overall were very efficient. The health screening and security check-in was easy and quick and the ticket takers knew what they needed to see, (reservation and ticket). That was the part that had me worried beforehand, thinking it would take a long time.

I come for the rides so that’s what I did. I rode Time Traveler 5 times throughout the day, maybe waited 20 minutes max the first 3 rides and later in the day I walked on. Outlaw run, even though ran one train ops, was fast as usual. NO, ride ops were not spraying to clean the trains after every cycle on any ride, except for FSDL. I was happy to see that for speed reasons only. All rides did give hand sanitizer to every rider before they went through the station gates. That was great!

I ate at the new Riverside Ribhouse and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and quantity. Mystic River Falls looks wicked cool and can’t wait for it to open.

Now here for the slightly less than great reviews. Let’s start with FITH. The queue line was dumb. Even though the dots are on the ground, it’s still quite a tight space. They need to rework that. (Side note, i know it was changed last year, but the new “FIRE IN THE HOLE” voice at the end, has GOT TO GO! It’s horrible!)

The Barn Swing, even though it’s a balance and personnel reason, needs both swings going. Waited 15 minutes in one spot and didn’t move while 2 cycles went through. Ended up not riding today.

BUT, the biggest disappointment was PK! PK is my favorite ride on park and the best IMO! PK should NEVER run one train ops. Regardless of attendance, due to the the length of one ride cycle, (transfer, launch, lift and brake run), the ride time is long, then add switching riders and cleaning, it took a solid hour until I was able to ride. The queue line was no problem, but get people moving through there. For a ride that can run 3 trains, one train is just slow! Only rode once, WOMP!!! The ride ops did spray sanitize the train every once in a while (I’d say 30 mins or so) and send the empty train around, (I guess to dry it, not sure). Another reason to not have one train ops!

Back to the positives. I really felt the park staff all did their best. The ride ops, especially, having to deal with people directly handled the whole situation well. They get an A in my book for today! Overall, my experience was enjoyable and I did like the reduced capacity, even with a mask. If it means wearing a mask and getting to ride my favorite rides and go to my favorite place, I’m all for it! (No, I don’t like wearing it at all, but SDC > Mask, so I wear it). The park gets a B+ from me today.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2020, 06:40:56 PM »
I’m new to the forum. I am 27 years old from Oklahoma and have been a SP holder for approx. 15 years. I travel to SDC quite often, but Saturday (June 20) I was at the park. Here’s my experience:

Welcome to the group..!!

Sounds like you had a good visit.!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2020, 02:29:58 PM »
Most people don't go get tested until they get shortness of breath and start freaking out. A lot of people have mild illness and don't worry about it. Some don't even notice they have it because they are either asympotmatic or the symptoms are so mild they blend into the background of allergies/general fatigue/etc.

The problem is, a person who barely realizes they are sick can pass it to someone who very quickly has a bad case.

Those temperature scans are pretty useless. It turns out only some people get fever, and even then it only comes on days after they are already contagious.

FYI, now is a great time to give blood. Knowing your blood type can be helpful to evaluate risk (O types are apparently at less risk, and A types are at higher risk), plus most places are doing antibody tests for free on the blood. Many places are also in critical need of blood as well.

Tyson had an outbreak in Springdale. They tested everyone. 95% were asymptomatic and would not have have ever known until made to test. How many more are out there? Wake Forrest  in North Carolina has a study now showing an 8 to 10% positive antibody rate there.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:36:59 PM by chittlins »

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2020, 07:13:59 PM »
I noticed the poor ride operations as well.  The first time we rode TGS it took forever to load and unload, and that was with TB passes.  They appeared to have a bunch of new people and one of the people mentioned today was their first day (that was opening day)

JJH

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2020, 10:48:21 AM »
I have read several reports about the social distancing, or more specifically the lack there of.  My question, is it possible to social distance?  I don't want this to turn into why you should or shouldn't.  If it is your choice to social distance is it possible?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2020, 03:15:12 PM »
I have read several reports about the social distancing, or more specifically the lack there of.  My question, is it possible to social distance?  I don't want this to turn into why you should or shouldn't.  If it is your choice to social distance is it possible?

Yes.  They have dots down to help.  People just ignore them. 
Granted, it’s not as bad as Six Flags. 
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2020, 07:49:21 PM »

If it is your choice to social distance then sure you can do it providing the person next to you feels the same way. 

No, it is not possible if you are making an effort and the person next to you is ignoring the fact.

JJH

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2020, 09:01:29 AM »
Sorry I am not being clear, I was not asking about the mechanics of social distancing.  I know if someone else doesn't want to, that is fine, I can walk away.  This was more of a general question, along the same lines as "is it possible to just walk on wildfire? or is it possible to get a seat in Echo Hollow show without waiting?"  So for the people that have visited SDC this year, does anyone social distance?  I know there will always be individuals that don't care, individuals have always cut lines, steal soda, push to the front at parades, sit in the handicap spots without being handicapped, and so on. I am asking "in general" is it possible to social distance. 

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2020, 12:18:06 PM »
Sorry I am not being clear, I was not asking about the mechanics of social distancing.  I know if someone else doesn't want to, that is fine, I can walk away.  This was more of a general question, along the same lines as "is it possible to just walk on wildfire? or is it possible to get a seat in Echo Hollow show without waiting?"  So for the people that have visited SDC this year, does anyone social distance?  I know there will always be individuals that don't care, individuals have always cut lines, steal soda, push to the front at parades, sit in the handicap spots without being handicapped, and so on. I am asking "in general" is it possible to social distance.

Yes, for the most part. We've been three times so far with varying ease of social distancing. Really the only time that it can be difficult is when you are in line for rides or food. It's all dependent on the people behind you. You decide how close you get to the people in front of you and from what we noticed, the people behind us tended to take a cue from that and give some space. Our kids got good about standing on the their blue dot and it was kind of a game to them to go to the next one when it opened up.

We've also been to WW. There you have the added benefit of the rafts forcing some degree of social distancing while in line.

JJH

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »
Thank you, that is the information that I was looking for!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2020, 02:34:11 PM »

It is always your right to ask them to back off also. I would not have a problem in doing that at all.

We had planned to go to the city over the 4th weekend but with the resurgence of the virus its just going to be
a couple days at the pool at our resort. Nice peaceful no stress weekend I hope.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2020, 04:42:20 PM »
Some have been asking about what the park looks like now with the COVID-19 updates.
Here is a photo trip report showing off some of those updates
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2020/06/covid-19-update-sdc.html
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2020, 05:26:46 PM »
Swoosh....do the white lines on picture #8 mean no sitting or standing?  More or less keep moving?