Author Topic: Going back to SDC  (Read 71811 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Going back to SDC
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2020, 07:04:07 AM »
Wow I really didn't expect it to go in this direction...

Considering this is the second most politicized topic behind the current presidential administration, I’m not sure why you thought it wouldn’t end up like this.  There’s a major line drawn between the ones who are scared to death and the ones who are convinced this is overblown.  There’s no convincing these two groups otherwise.  Interestingly enough those groups correspond almost perfectly with “orange man bad” and “MAGA” which should tell you where they get their news/info from. 

SWOOSH

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »
If SDC could only operate at, say, half capacity, it would help with overcrowding, but I also wonder about lines for various things in the park. Some lines end up right next to people just walking down the path or next to other lines when there are even a modest amount of people in the park. I wonder if and when SDC opens, will they keep certain things closed to help with the concentration of people in any one area of the park.

Jaykethekid

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2020, 09:51:11 AM »
I think it would be reasonable to expect many shops and stalls being closed considering a good chunk of the employees who work them are elderly. I would imagine the only shops and food places being open will be the most popular and easiest to social distance in as well as ride gift shops.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2020, 09:58:03 AM »
I think it would be reasonable to expect many shops and stalls being closed considering a good chunk of the employees who work them are elderly. I would imagine the only shops and food places being open will be the most popular and easiest to social distance in as well as ride gift shops.

That's a good point about many older employees not working, at least initially. Many older visitors who frequent some of those stops and stalls may also not be there as well. It may start out temporarily being like Midnight Madness and Pumpkin Nights where many of the shops were closed at night, except in this case being the whole day.

pintrader

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2020, 10:39:45 AM »
If I was opening SDC tomorrow or in the near future I would have everyone wear masks.  I would keep sanatized everything possible that wasn't a major hindrance to my visitors.....rides especially.  I would try to max out attendance at possibly 6,000 and close the gates at that point.  As much as I hate to say it, I would throw social distancing out the door.  I think that would be close to impossible to implement and be successful with. Also, I could see a lot of fighting taking place because visitors didn't think others were social distancing the way they should.  I am not taking the road they should or should not open, just the what if.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:27:11 AM by Pintrader »

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2020, 10:47:32 AM »
Wow I opened up a whole nest of murder hornets when I started this thread, huh?  I really didn't expect it to go in this direction but was hoping for maybe innovative ideas for the City to make it more safe.

Ok I'll throw out a potentially completely implausible idea. Inspired by online ordering and curbside pick-up at most restaurants these days, how about an online/app ordering system for shops, allowing guests while visiting the park to pick from a menu in the app for the most popular shops/items and have their purchases available for package pick-up when leaving. Then you don't have to open shops to guests which would eliminate some close-quarters contact opportunities in high-traffic areas, while also generating some revenue. You could also give elderly/at-risk employees a chance to work as "pickers," fulfilling orders without direct contact with guests/coworkers.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »
Wow I opened up a whole nest of murder hornets when I started this thread, huh?  I really didn't expect it to go in this direction but was hoping for maybe innovative ideas for the City to make it more safe.

Ok I'll throw out a potentially completely implausible idea. Inspired by online ordering and curbside pick-up at most restaurants these days, how about an online/app ordering system for shops, allowing guests while visiting the park to pick from a menu in the app for the most popular shops/items and have their purchases available for package pick-up when leaving. Then you don't have to open shops to guests which would eliminate some close-quarters contact opportunities in high-traffic areas, while also generating some revenue. You could also give elderly/at-risk employees a chance to work as "pickers," fulfilling orders without direct contact with guests/coworkers.

Now this is an idea I can get behind.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2020, 02:00:40 PM »
If I was opening SDC tomorrow or in the near future I would have everyone wear masks (if that does help).  I would keep sanatized everything possible that wasn't a major hindrance to my visitors.....rides especially.  I would try to max out attendance at possibly 6,000 and close the gates at that point.  As much as I hate to say it, I would throw social distancing out the door.  I think that would be close to impossible to implement and be successful with. Also, I could see a lot of fighting taking place because visitors didn't think others were social distancing the way they should.  I am not taking the road they should or should not open, just the what if.

According to most everything I've read beyond the mass media nonsense is that prolonged, close in contact is the main driver for transmission. That is why we see meat packing plants and cities with crammed public transportation get nailed but grocery stores somehow escape mass break out. Shows and queue lines are the trouble spots for SDC. Ride time reservations and uutdoor entertainment with some spacing would be the way to go.

pintrader

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2020, 03:30:11 PM »
According to most everything I've read beyond the mass media nonsense is that prolonged, close in contact is the main driver for transmission. That is why we see meat packing plants and cities with crammed public transportation get nailed but grocery stores somehow escape mass break out. Shows and queue lines are the trouble spots for SDC. Ride time reservations and uutdoor entertainment with some spacing would be the way to go.

Yes I agree, I think shows would be a big problem.  Actually shows inside would be completely out of the question at this time.  Should social distancing be in place??  Probably so with everything we know at this time, but the work load for employees would be overwhelming, and the SDC experience would pretty much go down the drain.  Also, I just don't see how it could possibly work. So I guess SDC will have to weigh all that out when they think it's time to open. 

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
Back to watching Sweden, the large weekend dip is now showing  a decline as testing results ramp up during the week as well.

Being at home is safe?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/05/06/majority-of-new-coronavirus-cases-in-new-york-are-from-people-staying-at-home-not-traveling-or-working/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:18:29 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »

Yes I agree, I think shows would be a big problem.  Actually shows inside would be completely out of the question at this time.  Should social distancing be in place??  Probably so with everything we know at this time, but the work load for employees would be overwhelming, and the SDC experience would pretty much go down the drain.  Also, I just don't see how it could possibly work. So I guess SDC will have to weigh all that out when they think it's time to open.

Oh no... no Reuben’s Swashbuckling Adventure this summer? Whatever will we do
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »

Oh no... no Reuben’s Swashbuckling Adventure this summer? Whatever will we do

Well that's one positive result!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2020, 08:18:01 PM »
And then there are the credible sources that claim that everyone wearing masks and isolating themselves is the complete opposite of what to do and it actually leads to decrease in immunity to diseases.  One thing is for sure, hospitals are getting paid something like $13k for patients that they say have covid.  That seems like a reason for inflation of what the real numbers are.  Who knows.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2020, 08:33:43 PM »

Considering this is the second most politicized topic behind the current presidential administration, I’m not sure why you thought it wouldn’t end up like this.  There’s a major line drawn between the ones who are scared to death and the ones who are convinced this is overblown.  There’s no convincing these two groups otherwise.  Interestingly enough those groups correspond almost perfectly with “orange man bad” and “MAGA” which should tell you where they get their news/info from.

I guess I didn't think it would end up like this because I didn't ask about the moral decisions about going to a theme park/large venue.  I was honestly trying to decide when they open will I feel safe going back?  There have been a lot of good suggestions for what the park could do.  I know safety, at best in almost any situation, is an illusion.  I ride things like Outlaw Run knowing that something could happen but at the same time knowing that daily safety inspections are done.  Accidents do happen however because humans are involved and humans make mistakes.  It's just at what point do you feel comfortable with the odds of what's going on.
I'm Your Huckleberry

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2020, 08:20:13 AM »

I guess I didn't think it would end up like this because I didn't ask about the moral decisions about going to a theme park/large venue.  I was honestly trying to decide when they open will I feel safe going back?  There have been a lot of good suggestions for what the park could do.  I know safety, at best in almost any situation, is an illusion.  I ride things like Outlaw Run knowing that something could happen but at the same time knowing that daily safety inspections are done.  Accidents do happen however because humans are involved and humans make mistakes.  It's just at what point do you feel comfortable with the odds of what's going on.

If you know anything about Ark 265/Crossover Rd in Fayetteville you know as yo go down the big hill to the intersection with Ark 16 there is a curve in the road at the top of the hill. The cars coming up the hill in the inside lane have tendency to drift into the inside downhill lane. Over last 15 years people have died here and been permanently disabled. The ADOT had admitted they screwed up the design years ago. NOTHING has been done to remedy the situation.  I have made it a point to avoid the inside lanes on that stretch of road and have drilled it into my wife's and kid's head as well as we all traverse this road daily, sometimes multiple times.

Yet I got caught not being able to get over before decending last and sure enough a pick up coming up drifted over a foot foot into my lane. Luckily I was far enough away to slow down immediately, without slowing down he would have never corrected back over in time. That curve is a greater danger to me and my family than Wuflu.

On masks...

If you are infected or carrying the Wuflu, wearing a mask all the time while your body is trying to shed the virus only makes you intakeb more of the virus. It is like taking virus steriods. This is why you see the huge outbreaks in close up confined places like meat packing lines and nursing homes. Wearing a mask is the ultimate confined up close space. It can make a person that could have likely been asymptomatic  intake more and more of the virus till it finally take hold. To all the Jethros out there this isn't rocket surgery.and why it wasn't mandated in the first place.

The homemade masks are useless for the most part. They have gaps, too thin to really capture anything as small as a virus. Unless they fit snugly and you have Macgyver'd some better homemade filtration like using clean hepa vaccum bags or coffee filters to layered between the fabric. It is all just feel good, false sense of security garbage. The reason it became such an issue is the media used it to criticize Orange Man Bad and feed their TDS, an ax in which to take hacks with.

And... before you call me a Republican, I think Boozman is a wasted suit, Wommack a Chamber of Commerce/Big Business hack, Cotton is a War Monger(though he is on the money with China).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:24:06 AM by chittlins »