Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146041 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »
In some of the photos that were shared somewhere on FB recently you could see that some of the channel has been stained. I'm sure they'll do the rest before it opens. I don't think they've even built the tower yet, or at last they hadn't as of a couple weeks ago. I think the video was just a test of the pumps.

Lol at the age old "SDC is losing it's character" debate. After almost 15 years of this site, it should be clear by now that the park is simply going to keep evolving. The time to gripe about it was back when they built Wildfire.

I for one, love the effort they go through to keep the SDC spirit alive while constantly raising the bar for new attractions and having to contort themselves to the ever changing whims of modern park goers. You guys know the theme of Mystic River is marvel caves/ozarks, right? They could have done any number of focus-group approved cartoony themes, but they bent over backwards to create a beautiful representation of the Ozarks and the park's history while also building a kickass new ride.

Yes, there are probably going to be wider pathways and a few less trees this year, and that kind of sucks, but we have to live with it. After being stuck in a down-right dangerous crowd for 30mins last Christmas with literally no way to escape, I'm ready to accept it. The park has outgrown itself and it is time to upgrade or die.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2020, 09:49:37 PM »
According to SDC in a reply on a comment on that Mystic River video, the tower indeed "doesn't exist yet."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2020, 10:12:34 PM »
Yes, there are probably going to be wider pathways and a few less trees this year, and that kind of sucks, but we have to live with it. After being stuck in a down-right dangerous crowd for 30mins last Christmas with literally no way to escape, I'm ready to accept it. The park has outgrown itself and it is time to upgrade or die.

So would this be a good time to discuss some of those changes? (Purely rhetorical, I’m going to anyway)

-The new bridge between Glassblowers and Brown’s Candy is approximately 5’ wider on both sides of the former bridge. 
-Two flower beds between Blacksmith & Hotel have been removed.  They think there will be added foot traffic down to Midtown in the morning due to the new Coffee Shop
-The flower bed just outside of Time Traders entrance has been removed.

Waiting on confirmation of more in park path changes. 

Rumor on additional security screenings happening this year at front gate.  Metal detectors might be installed.  Waiting on confirmation
SWOOSH

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2020, 09:38:03 AM »
Anyone else notice how they are just calling it "Pumpkins" now? In today's email and on the website it is just listed as "Pumpkins" instead of "Pumpkin Nights".

I wonder if it is to try and even out the attendance throughout the day some instead of it getting packed after dark.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:40:05 AM by mg »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
Anyone else notice how they are just calling it "Pumpkins" now? In today's email and on the website it is just listed as "Pumpkins" instead of "Pumpkin Nights".

I wonder if it is to try and even out the attendance throughout the day some instead of it getting packed after dark.

A wise move. More crafts people are being brought back too. They saw they don't want to lose the demographic that came for that. They were well aware of last years complaints.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:31:26 AM by sdcfan88 »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2020, 07:29:19 PM »
You guys are more than welcome to go find a new hobby since going to SDC causes you such grievance. 

Oh, please.  That's just a little childish.

Well, remember who you're replying to.  ;) ;D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2020, 08:18:22 PM »

I wonder if that’s just a placeholder name.  The whole “Pumpkin Nights” moniker Mae it sound like there wasn’t anything to do during the day - so wait and come out at night instead. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2020, 10:44:08 PM »
The park released a video of the new MRF rays today on their social media platforms
SWOOSH

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2020, 08:49:04 AM »
Tour of the new Rivertown Smokehouse and views of Mystic River Falls at the end.
The video is mirrored so keep that in mind when trying to get orientated.

I think that it is interesting and a good move that they went back to traditional soda fountains instead of the freestyle machines. They seem to just create longer lines when they are the only ones available. I would be happy to see them make the switch inside of Crossroads Pizza too.

I am also impressed to see the level of landscaping that they have done on the ride. All of the trees and rock work look great. It also appears as if the full channel has been painted/stained and doesn't have the grey concrete look that was seen in their first sneak-peek video.

It doesn't look like the lift and raised channel are up yet... maybe I'm just not seeing it though. They did say that it is planed for a late May opening.

https://www.facebook.com/sdcattractions/videos/541963353091887/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:01:21 AM by mg »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2020, 01:06:15 PM »

It doesn't look like the lift and raised channel are up yet... maybe I'm just not seeing it though. They did say that it is planed for a late May opening.

https://www.facebook.com/sdcattractions/videos/541963353091887/

They are going to flatten it by late May? :o

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2020, 07:50:10 PM »
I bet it is a lot more expensive than the old ribhouse was.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2020, 09:50:47 PM »

I think that it is interesting and a good move that they went back to traditional soda fountains instead of the freestyle machines. They seem to just create longer lines when they are the only ones available. I would be happy to see them make the switch inside of Crossroads Pizza too.

I hate the freestyle machines - not only do they take longer because of snot noise kids picking 6 favors....single use at a time (no multiple fills at once) - but they require everyone in the restaurant to touch there grimy fingers on the same screen directly before and after (refills) they eat. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:52:35 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2020, 12:00:29 AM »
I was looking at video of the new restaurant and it appears to have metal siding. Kind of bums me out. The restaurant is very country contemporary looking. The video showed the light fixtures hanging from the foyer ceiling, and I didn't see 1880s anywhere. However, time marches on and the park has to accommodate over 2 million folk per year. Change must occur. The high quality is still there. I am chomping at the bit to get to see the new Rivertown area. Of course, I spent most of my time on park in that area at the diving bell, 1979-1984. Pretty much everything I remember in that part of the park has been wiped clean and all is new there. The only building original to the 1977 opening of the Deepwoods...later Riverfront...now Rivertown, is the old Wagon Works Barn, now called the White River Warehouse, which is adjacent to Tom and Huck's River Splash. March 17th is just a sneeze away. I'm excited about 2020 for SDC!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2020, 12:10:26 AM »
The park continues to post up teaser clips of MRF running:
https://www.facebook.com/sdcattractions/videos/236590617505521/

OutlawRun

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2020, 09:36:45 AM »
Ride Engineers Switzerland posted an animation of Mystic River Falls recently on YouTube. The "elevator" looks really cool and efficient if it functions as seen in the animation.  MRF will be a blast! I'm sure we will have more fun than the riders in the animation!   :)

Here's the link to the animation:

https://youtu.be/lOx1E_LQnOI
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:51:48 AM by OutlawRun »
You have a great past ahead of you!