Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146136 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »
Looks like they are aware of a lot of the backlash that was being posted on various sites/social media regarding the lackluster 2019 season and they are responding appropriately to it.

Lackluster? A new huge festival and a new tree are far from lackluster and the crowds during the fall and winter echo that point

And a new million dollar "show".
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2020, 10:07:29 PM »
Considering we saw a lot of people complaining on social media and on this very forum last season (most notably the crafts and cowboys during the fall festival being "lackluster"), it looks like they listened and addressed that.

Depending on who you ask, some found it "meh". (I didn't get a chance to see it, so I cannot pass judgement on it yet.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:12:34 PM by sdcfan88 »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2020, 10:26:51 PM »
Considering we saw a lot of people complaining on social media and on this very forum last season (most notably the crafts and cowboys during the fall festival being "lackluster"), it looks like they listened and addressed that.

Depending on who you ask, some found it "meh". (I didn't get a chance to see it, so I cannot pass judgement on it yet.)

"Meh" is a higher rating than it deserves, so I consider this part of the season to be less than lackluster.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »
We are now almost a month out from opening day. 
Just wanted to prepare you for some of the major changes that have happened this off season that won’t be broadcasted by the park and might catch you off guard. 

Please note that I haven’t received clearance to talk about all of them yet (and it’s killing me). 

Today, let’s talk about the Playhouse.  It has a new roof and several new outer walls.  I’m sure you’ve heard me talk about how bad of shape the whole place was in the past, so I’m very happy that they’ve put some work into it this offseason.  I’m not sure how much the GP will notice has “changed” with this project, but it was much needed
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2020, 10:48:15 PM »
Yeah I already saw some talk about the old Valley Road bridge being torn out and replaced. Not sure about anything else so I will refrain.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
Yeah I already saw some talk about the old Valley Road bridge being torn out and replaced. Not sure about anything else so I will refrain.

Ok since you mentioned it, I’ll confirm.  Yes the Tressel bridge has been removed and a new bridge that’s about 10’ wider has replaced it.  There’s still more...
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »
It will be very interesting to see how it all looks in person on opening day for sure.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »
What exactly was wrong with the old bridge?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2020, 06:42:02 AM »
What exactly was wrong with the old bridge?

Probably just age.  It was actually supposed to have been replaced the year before
SWOOSH

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »
Does the new bridge attempt to maintain the character of the old bridge? Is the toll house still there? Will we still hear the sound of horse hooves? Inquiring minds want to know!

Fergy328

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »

Ok since you mentioned it, I’ll confirm.  Yes the Tressel bridge has been removed and a new bridge that’s about 10’ wider has replaced it.  There’s still more...

Wow, 10 feet wider? That's a huge difference

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2020, 03:26:29 PM »

That will be much wider, and will change the approach from both ways quite a bit..    But that has been needed for a long time. 

Hope they kept the "ambience" of the area, sounds, hooves, trees and so on

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2020, 03:43:37 PM »

That will be much wider, and will change the approach from both ways quite a bit..    But that has been needed for a long time. 

Hope they kept the "ambience" of the area, sounds, hooves, trees and so on

They could easily make it so generic that you don't even know you're on a bridge.  Hopefully, wiser and more nostalgic heads will prevail, and they will keep it with its current theme and effects.  It is one of the little things that keep me returning.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2020, 04:38:39 PM »
They could easily make it so generic that you don't even know you're on a bridge.  Hopefully, wiser and more nostalgic heads will prevail, and they will keep it with its current theme and effects.  It is one of the little things that keep me returning.

Yes Fingers Crossed these updates that have been teased were done right. I hope the PTB continue to realize its the atmosphere that sets SDC apart from the other theme parks, even Dollywood.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
I cannot see how making the bridge wider will help.  The choke points are along the street uphill and downhill from it.  It's sort of like installing a 4" diameter pipe between two 2" diameter sections.