Author Topic: The SDCFans Lounge  (Read 129313 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: The SDCFans Lounge
« Reply #330 on: January 27, 2009, 10:38:54 PM »
Thanks, Zephon.  I wondered what put food on your table in the winter.

BOO!  I want a snow day :'(

We've had two snow days counting Wednesday.  That just pushes the end of the school year into June.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:41:18 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #331 on: January 28, 2009, 09:34:53 AM »
We still have two built in snow days.  We can afford one more, it would be made up on the Tuesday after President's Day.  That week is "courtwarming" so having another day added to spirit week would be all right with me and would allow my band one more day to get ready for our courtshow that week. 

We've only had one thus far and we had to make that up on MLK day (which urked me as I could have used the day off).  January has been a very long month for us teachers as well as for the students.  Usually I dislike February the most out of the school year, but I find myself looking forward to turning the page of the calendar from January.

SWOOSH

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 28, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
Well...the precip stopped sometime during the night.  We were fortunate enough to not have lost power, many did.  We have about 4" of sleet and ice on our driveway.... no cleaning it off.  It's worse a little south of us in Arkansas.

Swoosh, I know what you mean about the seemingly long stretch of Jan-Feb.  It's a bummer.  We don't get holidays off per se, though once you reach three years of employment, I think it is, you start accruing paid holiday days that you can use to take off on other days of your choosing, as long as it can be worked out with your supervisor.  I can't remember the last time I was actually off on Memorial Day, the 4th of July, or Labor Day.  We do get Christmas and New Year's Day off though.  I'll have to use some of that paid holiday time this week to round out my 40-hour week.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

7OA

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 28, 2009, 05:42:32 PM »
Wonder how the City looks right now.

Here in West Plains, we have trees falling somewhere every 20-30 seconds. Branches are also crashing on the roof. A relative in Branson (actually, Hollister) said they have an inch of freezing rain, with more sleet and snow.

It can't look good right now in the City. One half of my yard looks as if a hurricane came through.  :o

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #334 on: January 28, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »
So I had a wild time in the ice on Monday.

It started icing here before noon, but work places and schools didn't let out until exactly 3:05. Everyone. All at once. I waited through this massive gridlock for about an hour, inching forward and then sliding to a stop, praying I didn't slide into the cars in front of me. At certain points my car started sliding sideways, bouncing into the curb. Luckily the cars to the side of me didn't follow.

As I got closer to my house, I started seeing cars littering ditches. Everywhere I looked there were overturned vehicles, or vehicles that had completely sliden off the roadway and hit things. My town is divided by a flood plain, so you have to go up a hill to get to the major neighborhoods from downtown. Unfortunately, not a single car in front of me was able to get up it. It was gridlock for a long while, until I had the bright idea to make a break, take a lone side street, and cut through a hilly neighborhood. I knew it would be treacherous, but it was a large neighborhood, and the gravel trucks had already been through a lot of it. Unfortunately, not only is this neighborhood hilly, but it also only has one through street, yet none of the streets are marked as dead ends. I took what I thought was the only through street, only to find myself at the top of a hill with a cuvlesac (sp?) at the bottom. Too late, I tried to stop and turn around, but I was already sliding. I slide probably 200ft or more all the way down this hill, slamming the break all the way. Thankfully, my car stopped at the curb at the very end of the street, rather than jumping it and diving down into the valley below. I ditched my car there and trekked over to a relatives' house. Later that night we returned with several bags of ice melt and melted the whole hill. I have 4-wheel drive, so it wasn't too bad getting out of there once the ice was melted.

Yeah, it wasn't a fun day for me either, and my area wasn't even hit that badly.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 28, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
Oh my lands, STW.  Sounds like you not only had an adventure, you had the whole safari.

^^I think I'll be going to work tomorrow.  Gonna take the camera and try to get some pics.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 28, 2009, 11:16:06 PM »
Here in northeast oklahoma we had three inches of ice and most will be without power until next monday. Getting ready for our third day out of school for the storm and have been told friday will most likely be out also.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 29, 2009, 11:51:56 AM »
These stories sound exactly like Springfield two years ago. Luckily, we got little freezing rain compared to sleet and snow this time.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 29, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »
And here I am thinking I, as a teacher, was the only one to benefit from huge amounts of snow! I do have to make the day up at the end of the year though... our 6-8 inches in StL took us out for 2 days...

sdcforever

« Reply #339 on: January 29, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »
Luckily the bad weather missed us up in northeast Missouri.

Watched the Mizzou game last night against Kansas State.  Boy, when they're bad, they're really bad.  Just a terrible game.  That loss hurts, especially since they have to play Baylor and Texas next. :-\

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 29, 2009, 09:20:27 PM »
Speaking of college sports...

Arkansas is on a heckuva roll for football recruiting. Ronnie Wingo from St. Louis was a HUGE get for RB. They also got Cobi Hamilton from Texas High (Texarkana), who wasn't highly touted, but is going to be a fantastic WR (6'3", 190, basketball star, track star, one of the top 200 meter sprinters in Texas).

On the basketball front, the Hogs aren't doing so great. At least not in the SEC, that is... but they're 2-0 against Top 10 Big 12 teams.  ;D

sdcforever

« Reply #341 on: January 29, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »
^I'm actually watching Arkansas play Alabama right now, and they're well on their way to their first SEC win! :)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
OMG! OMG!  Mizzou Beat Baylor!!!
Also K-State beat Texas in OT. 

Wow.  What a Saturday!!!
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2009, 10:58:12 AM »
OMG! OMG!  Mizzou Beat Baylor!!!
Also K-State beat Texas in OT. 

Wow.  What a Saturday!!!

Yep, Mizzou did what you thought they couldn't do, Swoosh. :)  And that K-State loss doesn't look as bad now.  Actually, IMO it still looks really bad because we weren't competitive at all.  I just can't figure Mizzou out; one game they'll look unstoppable and the next they'll play so bad it seems like a DII school could beat them.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
Hey now they are undefeated at home... it's the road games that give them fits.  How is that an enigma?
SWOOSH