Author Topic: SDC's Character Meetups (a bit of a rant)  (Read 12790 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC's Character Meetups (a bit of a rant)
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:58:20 AM »
(SDC posted a picture of the Ninja Turtles in front of the SDC entrance logo and, well, I finally hit my breaking point. The following is what I wrote as a comment on that photo)

Ugh. No, I don't want to eat breakfast with the Ninja Turtles at a park themed solely around an 1880s mining town. These character things have gotta stop. This is just way too out of theme.

If you feel you HAVE to have characters, couldn't you try getting the VeggieTales back? I'm personally not Christian, but I know the park is very grounded in Christian ideals and VeggieTales is a Christian IP. Plus, talking vegetables don't really stand out as much against theme as Dora or Ninja Turtles. In fact, the Veggies could have special costumes with cowboy hats and stuff specifically for appearing at SDC.

Just... please, PLEASE. This is not Six Flags. This is not the Mall of America. This is Silver Dollar City, the home of Rocky the Raccoon (now that y'all are partnered with Henson, maybe you could make a movie?) and the Beverly Hillbillies and the new Dalmatian character whose name I don't recall 'cause I've not been to the park since he was added. Add Rocky as a fur character to meet! Maybe create a bat character as his sidekick! Bats are so important to the history and theme of SDC.

Get more face characters! See if you can get a Becky Thatcher and a Tom Sawyer and a Huck Finn! Play up the Mark Twain connection more.

Just please, please try to do something different. Kids don't need characters like these to like SDC; I know I sure didn't when I started coming as a kid. It was the characters at the Saloon and the Sheriff on Main Street and Terry Wayne Sanders as the Deputy that kept me engaged.

I know this whole character thing is not a permanent fixture and only during the summer, but there's a reason I never come for the summer fest. It just feels way too out of place compared to the others (Rudolph for Christmas doesn't really bother me because although that IP isn't from the 1880s, Santa and non-era-specific talking animals are pretty timeless; they don't feel particularly anachronistic).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:02:29 AM by Joy »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's Character Meetups (a bit of a rant)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:12:15 AM »
Joy, I agree with you completely. It sucks the charm right out of SDC. Unfortunately, on this same post you commented on I saw at least 10 other posts of people who are excited for this. Combined with the fact that SDC charges $20 for adults and $16 for children 4-11, it is an easy money maker for the PTB and I don't see it leaving the summer festival.

To me, character breakfasts only make sense and work well with the theme at parks like Disney or Universal. If SDC feels this is something that have to continue doing, then I love your ideas of creating new characters like a bat, or even bringing in the Mark Twain characters, because it works with the theme. And frankly, I don't understand why in the world they would not have Lucky the Dog at one of these breakfasts. He's a character they specifically created for SDC!!! Makes no sense.

SDC, don't be afraid to be different!!!! Make your own magic!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:16:37 AM »
With them in cahoots with the Henson Company to make that PBS show, it just makes sense to me that they could collaborate on creating something that could fit in with SDC as well. A live-action w/puppets or CG-animated theatrical film with characters like Rocky the Raccoon and a bat character and maybe even have those two as friends/sidekicks to Tom and Huck and Becky in a new adventure that can then be translated into fur and face characters at the park. Twain's characters are public domain, IIRC, so why not make a new movie that features the characters in an all-new adventure post-books?

I dunno... maybe I should try writing something? I always have wanted to write books or something for SDC... Maybe I can come up with something that might tickle their fancy.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:26:10 AM »
I completely agree with the lack of originality, and creativity. The picture on Facebook definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully, the Ninja Turtles will be limited to an enclosed breakfast area, and will not be free roaming the park.

I think Silver Dollar City does great job with their character actors. Of course you have Terry, and Mandi, and the other street troupe crew. The train robbers are always a hoot. I would not say that Silver Dollar City has lost touch with their roots. Rather, I think Silver Dollar City wanted a cheap gimmick to entice kids, and parents to come to the park, and spend money on a special breakfast.

Frustrating? Yes. Disappointing? Absolutely. However, as long as the Ninja Turtles are not a permanent staple or focal point, I don't anticipate it being a deal breaker for most.

And frankly, I don't understand why in the world they would not have Lucky the Dog at one of these breakfasts. He's a character they specifically created for SDC!!! Makes no sense.

I agree! However, let's face it. Lucky the Dog just does not have the universal appeal of the Ninja Turtles.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »
I saw that post and had some of the same thoughts Joy....completely understand.

Lets give SDC some credit though....they been doing them for years....they aren't changing any park theming to help promote it....we haven't gotten any Veggietales or Spongebob (which I think is the worst) rides from it.  There isn't even one of those Barney like shows.  It's only a few weeks a year.  It's just a meet and great for those who want to pay for it off in a corner somewhere.  SDC makes a little money from it....and those families create memories....which is kind of one of their goals.

I personally love TMNT and my kids would love that experience no matter where it is at.  My older kids know who the Mark Twain characters are.... but lets be realistic.....they wouldn't get excited about have a meet and greet with them.  They could do the TMNT meet and greet at the new Pizza place....Mikey would love pizza for breakfast....lol
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:58:20 AM »
Rocky Racoon is my second most favorite Beatles song after Let it Be.

These  Character Meet and Greats would have been great for CC while they are not so great for SDC.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:34:59 AM »
It not only encourages me to keep my family away from the park during this time (I'm sure they won't miss me.), it just makes me angry.  TMNT are far from a wholesome addition!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 10:15:24 AM »
I mean, I'll admit, my niece would LOVE to meet the Ninja Turtles. But it wouldn't be a make or break for her in wanting to go to SDC. She's 8 years old and has only been to SDC twice, at age 1 and age 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly), and she's always talking about how much she wants to go back. She barely remembers it, but she hears me talk about it and she knows that there are rides and shows and she wants to go back now that she's older. And character meetups have zero influence on her wanting to go.

That's honestly my main point. I never needed the appeal of "breakfast with [blank]" to want to come back to SDC time and again as a kid. The shows and the rides and the overall atmosphere were enough for me.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 12:25:43 PM »
I agree and disagree with the "furries" - I do feel that the park would benefit from a recognizable IP.  The issue with creating your own (as in what they tried to do with Lucky) is that the kids really cannot connect with him because they have no idea who he is (outside of the park). 
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 12:44:02 PM »
According to Silver Dollar City's website, they plan to host several Character Breakfasts to include Scooby Doo, and Shaggy, along with Sponge Bob Square Pants, and Patrick.

http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Attractions/Shows-Entertainment/Character-Breakfast

I can remember as a kid in the 1990's how prevalent Nickelodeon was all over the park. Being a youngster, I didn't appreciate the theme aspect of the park like I do today. I just recall how much I did not want to end up with green slime on my head! Haha.

I can definitely understand the sentiments voiced here. However, as long as these cheap characters remain hidden in an enclosed breakfast area, and are not roaming the park, then I can look passed it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:49:10 PM by Ozark BBQ »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »
Wonder if they are going to serve magic brownies with Scoobie Doo and Shaggy.  If so  I am in :)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 10:50:14 PM »
I feel the sentiments of it being off-putting for some. However it is technically the kids summer festival right now. For me it's the time I usually stay away. However, the park has a long ways to go before we should start calling it "Six Flags Over Branson". My 2 cents.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 07:21:35 PM »
It doesn't bother me at all. At one point, it might have, back before all the rides and roller coasters were in place. These days it really is just a theme park, and character meet and greets are something that some people really enjoy. You can easily ignore it if it's not your thing.

Home grown characters would be nice, but they don't exactly light up a six year old's face like something they actually know. And they are DEFINITELY NOT going to bring in Mark Twain characters. The SJW's would burn the park down the way things are these days. Before long the baldknobbers will be sanitized out as well.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »
^ Too bad- I'd go to breakfast with Tom, Huck and Becky! Not to mention a Mark Twain impersonator ;D

I'm Your Huckleberry

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 07:10:10 AM »
Home grown characters would be nice, but they don't exactly light up a six year old's face like something they actually know. And they are DEFINITELY NOT going to bring in Mark Twain characters. The SJW's would burn the park down the way things are these days. Before long the baldknobbers will be sanitized out as well.

Ummm... I'm what some might call an "SJW" (I prefer to just call myself a person who fights for equal rights for everyone) and why would anyone protest using Mark Twain characters? Progressives like myself are adamantly against banning books, and those of us who have actually read Twain (sadly, the younger generations aren't as familiar with him) appreciate and cherish Twain's writings. For example, Huck's journey with Jim was all about calling out the culture of the time regarding slavery, something right up a civil rights supporter's alley. Twain is pretty loved by the people in my circle.

Regarding "home grown characters"... That's why I suggested maybe they could commission a theatrical film featuring Tom, Huck, and Becky, 'cause then if it's well-written and well-produced and does decently at the box office, they would instantly have themselves characters they could use in the park that would fit in with the theme/era of SDC. And the movie could feature Rocky the Raccoon and maybe a squirrel or something as animal sidekicks (I'm imagining this movie as an animated kids film), thus adding more characters to SDC's roster.

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I want to sit down and write a script myself. I would be writing it with my nieces (ages 8, 3, and 1) in mind. I've shown them the 1985 claymation movie "The Adventures of Mark Twain" that I grew up on, and they loved it, so I can easily see other kids loving something with Tom and crew.

But again, I just don't see why they need character meetups at all when they've got Terry Sanders and all his characters, and Whoops E Daisy, and the street crew, and the Saloon characters, etc. giving life to the park. As a kid, I never needed the lure of meeting a favorite pop culture character to get me to want to go to SDC.

*shrugs* I dunno. I guess for me these character meetups (in addition to the modern music played during Moonlight Madness) are my personal "Not In Mary's Time" things. LOL