Author Topic: 2016 Trip Reviews  (Read 48204 times)

HikerDan

Re: 2016 Trip Reviews
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2016, 01:43:14 PM »
My wife and I really wanted to catch some of the bluegrass shows in the city last weekend but after four consecutive Sundays at the city for the final World Fest we had unfortunately allowed many to-dos pile up around the house, the yard, and had too many of life's errands to run to allow a lengthy visit to SDC on Saturday or Sunday. My wife wasn't too happy about it either as Rhonda Vincent is her favorite performer.

However, we did make the awesome decision to take a late afternoon/early evening trip down to the city and catch Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives in concert down in Echo Hollow Saturday night. 

We arrived in the city around 5 pm and were pretty much floored by the crowds leaving the city at that time. Man that must have been one busy, busy day at SDC on May 7. We were glad we didn't try to mix it up with all the groups of kiddos and such all day long. It must have been crazy.

We made it to the Gazebo in time to catch our second favorite musical group comprised of SDC citizens--Horse Creek (behind only the Pickers).  So glad Horse Creek will be playing the duration of the bluegrass fest, and a little beyond it sounds like. While taking in the Horse Creek show we noticed the line for Marty Stuart forming all the way up into and past Main Street. Fortunately the rope to Echo Hollow was dropped around 5:30 to allow the folks waiting to enter. We spent the $20 for the show lovers pass (10 each) so we could show up when we were ready to. I really didn't feel like standing in line or sitting in the amphitheater seats for two hours before showtime

After Horse Creek we rode a few rides as the park was clearing out. Don't think PK was running yet again. We checked on Echo Hollow around 6:15 to make sure reserved seating was still open, walked around a bit more and eventually took our seats around 6:40.

The place was packed by showtime, and we found out why as the show progressed.  This was our first time for an Echo Hollow concert, besides the Bird Show from a few years back and the Cowboy stunt show the last few summers, and what a first show to attend. It was fantastic, as all those guys really play those instruments well and put on a great performance. We've watched Marty's show on RFD TV many, many times but the live show was absolutely worth the trip and $$$ to see.

We can't thank SDC enough for bringing that group to the Hollow and can hopefully look forward to a return visit from them. Marty also brought Rhonda Vincent and her mother up on stage for a song, and used the Branson entertainer Buck Trent quite a bit throughout the latter hour of the show. It was a great 2 hours in the Hollow on a beautiful warm evening.

We'll remember that one for a long time. If you're reading this, thanks again to those at SDC that made it possible for Marty and his bunch to perform for us!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:46:02 PM by HikerDan »

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2016, 12:14:27 PM »
We went on 5/6 and 5/7 for Bluegrass and BBQ and Founders' Weekend. Saw Rhonda Vincent twice on Friday and twice on Saturday. Saw Nothin' Fancy 3 times on Friday. Also saw Fiddlin' Carson Peters, Breaking Grass, Joe Mullins and the Radio Ramblers, the Pickers, and 2 family groups who played in Red Gold (didn't care for the group on Friday afternoon but really enjoyed the one on Saturday afternoon).

Had the Chicken Fry Bread on Friday. Takes a long time to get food. The chicken fry bread tasted okay but was hard to eat walking around. Don't think we will get it again. Had BBQ in Red Gold on Saturday from one of the SDC booths (not Dickey's). It was fair. Food at Riverside is much better.

Really enjoyed the pre-opening entertainment on Saturday with the Pickers, Rhonda Vincent, and a couple of others and the parade that followed. The Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives concert Saturday night was fantastic.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2016, 09:22:04 PM »
SWOOSH

Clint F

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I visit Silver Dollar City every other weekend!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »
I visited yesterday (21 May 2016), and had a great day!  I was in line to ride Powder Keg at one point and something happened to the air tanks that launch the cars, so they shut down the ride until it could be repaired.  This took about an hour and a half.  I rode Wildfire instead and then went into Red Gold for some barbecue.  I have the SDC App on my phone, and all throughout the day, most ride times were at 25 minutes. 

The park was really full on Saturday, and it was a gorgeous day to be there!  Perfect weather!

The train ride was fun, and they had two robbers as they should have.  The train was very very "jerky" on our ride.  Almost as if the wheels we slipping, catching, slipping catching.  I feel like that was the driver's fault, as I watched him changing pressures constantly (I was in car 1, second row of seats, so I had a good view of the operation of the locomotive). 

I finally got to ride all the coasters in the park after Powder Keg re-opened. 

I was at Sullivan's Mill during the opening ceremony (before the chain drop), and the younger guy who bakes in there (sorry, I don't know his name) came out and led the group in the pledge and singing of the national anthem, which I found moving. 

In all, it was a fantastic day!  I had some friends with me, one of which had never been to SDC.  It was like seeing the city through new eyes again, and I loved every minute of it!  I can't wait to go again. 
I Love SDC!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
Had a great time on Saturday. It was a short trip - just one day is hardly enough to do most things at SDC, especially during a festival. Bluegrass and BBQ is a really special event for people who love bluegrass. I spent most of my time show hopping. All the bands were good, but I especially liked Blue Mafia and Williamson Branch. I saw several other groups plus the saloon show and part of the Echo Hollow show. I got at least one ride on all the big rides as well, so I really got my money's worth on this trip. 

Everything seems to be humming along in great shape at the park. I noticed a lot of improvements here and there such as new fences and some freshened signage. It looks like they re-handpainted the sign by the corkscrew water feature. The new landscaping by the Riverfront Playhouse is really nice too. I'm glad they kept the TNT arch the same instead of dumbing it down - it looks really good now. Didn't try the fry bread stand this time, but it looks like a minor improvement to the area at least.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
I got a whole new perspective of SDC this past Saturday.  I took my crew (wife and 3 kids) and lead my parents through a day at SDC together.  My parents (live by KC) gifted our family season tickets this year cause they knew we loved going to the park so much.  They hadn't been to SDC in 30 years and we got them in with the guest passes.  They are also big bluegrass fans and made a big weekend out of it by going to the Dailey and Vincent show of Friday too.  It was funny to see my Mom get all star struct about getting to go see them....guess they are the heartthrobs of bluegrass.

Anyway....I met them at the gate at 9 Saturday and got them the electric scooters that they reserved.  My dad is a big big guy and has heart issues...my mom too has some mobility issues and tires quickly.  It's awesome the park has these available.  It really made me realize just how drastic the topography of SDC is. 

We caught the end of the flag raising as they also started to get used to the scooters.  At robe drop we trekked over to FL first to get some kid rides in before the huge Saturday crowd hit.  I got two walk on rides on firefall....good way to wake up in the morning....it seemed to put back down harder than my previous rides on it.

We made our way over to the Saloon show and that my parents enjoyed.  Performers did a good job and actually heard a few new jokes:)  We then split for awhile to let my parents watch the operia house show as I took the family to the BBQ place for lunch. 

After the Opera Show we got 'stuck'.....we tryed to head up the hill by tom and Huck but my Dads scooter didn't have the power.....we turned and went overty by american plunge....and got stuck their too.  My Dad ended up have to walk up the hill (followed by rest) as a drove it.  Later in the day we figured out I could push it to get it going to get up that hill and the one by the dockside theatre up to EH.

Ended up riding TnT 3 times.  My 11yo daughter rode with me and as soon as I hit the Queue line I was looking for stacks and flags.  She was so confused....so I got to tell her about what they mean....after calling me a dork....she ended up being the one who spotted first the construction off the TnT lift hill :)

My parents went to the Amanda Smith (?) show and my dad ended up talking to standup bass player (which he also plays) after the show for like 30mins.  Found out they where both from the same small KY town.  He came back from that show with a huge grin on his face.

Had to talk my Dad out of riding Lost River....he has a pacemaker...Talked him into riding the Train with the parents....they got a kick out of the 'yankee money' and robbery.  Only one robber for us....and someone shouted to him where his brother was. 

Kids got some GE rides in and we were ready to hit the road. My parents stayed for the EH show.  They watched from the top but said the sound quality was terrible and show was boring.  They left 15 mins into the show.

Pretty good day at SDC....very crowded but the rides seem to move pretty well all day.  But it was exhausting for me to keep up with the wants of the kids and the big kids (parents)....lol  My dad would take off on the scooter through the crowd and would lose him...I wanted to put a flag on him....lol  Other times on the hills I'd be pushing him and the scooter up it. 

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2016, 09:28:24 AM »
sounds like a great family day.. grats!!

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
Went on Wednesday. As I came up the Red Route I saw lightning to the west and thought it was close to SDC. I turned at the light going to Indian Point Road, turned the corner, and saw green cones, in the right lane. So it wasnt hard to find that construction. Couldnt get pics at that time because I wouldnt be able to get close enough. Got in the park at 9:30 and it was raining. Went to PK to see how close the lightning was and to get some BBQ jerky. Found T-Bone there again as I have many times this year. Went to FITH but they said they were closed for some kind of work on the 3rd floor where they cant see or get to and it would only take 1 hour to fix. Later found out they were welding something.

The street show performers told me they wont do shows in rain or lightning. Went through Grandpas mansion with a lot of teenagers. I was hoping the threat of rain would scare crowds away. Went to Taffy shop, Apple Butter shop, and candy shop. Rode Flooded Mine and found out they were playing the theme, even in the station. By this point I was running out of things to do, so I started walking around the park. Looked around the green picnic tables hoping to find flags but found nothing but dirt. Heard that the ball pit is open even when lightning is near. Heard there was a cloud circling above us with a tail, kind of in the shape of a drowning skunk. Rode FITH, which was going thru the long way, but I think they were running 3 trains because it only took 20 minutes to get on. Hannah was seating people.

By now it was 11:00. Decided to see the 11:30 saloon show. The rain started to slow down as I was in line. It was "Mean Murphy", but they shouldve called it 8 year old Murphy. Because the girls asked him to be nice and he said ok. I felt like I was watching a western version of Barney. It was way too childish, but I heard some old people liked it. When the show was over, it stopped raining. Went to Wildfire. It was already running, so I went to the exit and heard they were going thru long ways 1 & 2, with only 1 train. That would take about 2 hours to get on. TGS already had a long line and was still doing test runs. OR had a small line with 1 train. Train station was half full so I rode it in car 4. Saw they had a 4th train at the roundhouse on track 3. It was an all black engine with a black coal tender. Next to it, off the tracks, was a yellow diesel engine. Got in line for TNT. Started seeing flags before the tunnel, but didnt take pictures. Line was backed up after the tunnel. Saw more in the big viewing area going to the EH bathrooms, as well as a trail. Saw orange paint making a trail from the corner of the TNT station going down the hill. TNT was running the green train and going thru half of the long way. Took about 45 minutes but I chose to ride anyway just to see construction. As I rode I sat on the left side, saw no flags, not even after the tunnel. I did see the big clear area, where they put a lot of gravel and a long trailer on top of that, to the left of the hill.

By now it was 2:00, so I left. As I was driving away, I stopped on the side of the road and got these pictures. They were working earlier but I didnt see any action now. They also removed the cones.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:12:34 PM by Laroy »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
The Saloon show has been crowded and standing room only for Mean Murphy every time I've been to it.  And it wasn't just "old" people that enjoyed it.  You're a hard one to please Laroy
I'm Your Huckleberry

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
My twenty something nieces want to see the Saloon Show every time regardless of what's presented.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2016, 09:48:03 PM »
Im actually very easy to please. I like anything that is actually good. Im very glad we FINALLY have an EH show worth staying for, for the first time in over 5 years. I dont mean to be a harsh critic usually. I just want everything done right and everything to look nice. Is that too much to ask? WW is perfect in every way. If only SDC would look at WW and see how much better they are, and start playing good music like WW does. Or even The Castle of Muskogee, which I just got home from an hour ago.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:57:35 PM by Laroy »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2016, 10:02:28 PM »
Im actually very easy to please. I like anything that is actually good. Im very glad we FINALLY have an EH show worth staying for, for the first time in over 5 years. I dont mean to be a harsh critic usually. I just want everything done right and everything to look nice. Is that too much to ask? WW is perfect in every way. If only SDC would look at WW and see how much better they are, and start playing good music like WW does. Or even The Castle of Muskogee, which I just got home from an hour ago.

???  :o  ::)
"I think SDC needs a Medieval themed section"
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »

To each his own I guess...
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2016, 10:10:03 PM »
That would be a good idea. Maybe call it A Step Back In Time. Or have it themed to a man who made a time machine and went horribly right when he first tried it out, sending everyone to medieval times.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:11:41 PM by Laroy »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2016, 10:44:32 PM »
That would be a good idea. Maybe call it A Step Back In Time. Or have it themed to a man who made a time machine and went horribly right when he first tried it out, sending everyone to medieval times.

No. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:02:29 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH