Author Topic: 2016 Trip Reviews  (Read 48023 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
2016 Trip Reviews
« on: March 12, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »
Time to get this started for the 2016 season! Tell us about your trip experiences good and bad, changes you notice at the park, etc.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Trip Reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »
So Opening Weekend Day one: BAG CHECK ALERT! If you are celebrating birthday/anniversary get a button from the general store. The park was not busy until about 2. It was really nice. We got there before the line drop and the Opening Ceremony was with Whoops E Daisy and Terry. Made a beline for OR. It was my sons first time to ride it. The last two years have been a bust for riding it. He LOOOOOVEDD IT!! Was at that moment a walk on. As was TGS. Another first for the kid. Another hit. Park was still not terribly packed. It was absolutly wonderful. FITH was rough. They sped the train through, really wish they would slow it down. The line was not long enough to warrant such speen IMO. The last drop was hard. THUNK THUNK THUNK CHUNK CHUNK. CHUNK. Used to so love that ride. From there we went to FL. Spent about an hour there. Saw a family with a GG refill mug. Want that mug. Son was impressed with the set up. I was glad to sit and let him run. It will be great when I take C and J next month. Rode a few more rides with minimal wait but more and more people kept coming in. There was an especially rude group of teens running amok. :( Took around 150 pictures. Posted to FB. Found the family with the GG mug sitting around the square close to the Taffy house. Asked if he wanted to trade. He just chuckled. I take that as a no. ;) Left around 2. Going tomorrow. I am impressed with the new signs and the attention to the celebration part. Like the way they are putting importance on Birthdays/Anniversary. More tomorrow!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 06:19:59 PM »
This one? I got to work at 3:45 a.m., and left before chain drop...sort of...lol
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 06:30:14 PM »
That is the one! But a family had it??? Like I think it was the same one in FL AND the square. It was nice to pseudo meet you??!!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 07:03:22 PM »
Who can drop some pics of the Saloon FITH area changes?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »
Who can drop some pics of the Saloon FITH area changes?

See SDC thread on TPR
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 08:17:54 PM »
Had a decent opening weekend it looks like, I wasn't able to make it.   
Attendence was fair...sat about 9, sunday about 8.. 
Not a bad start, will be more people next weekend...

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 08:17:40 AM »
All in all it was not a bad weekend. The kid and I really did not have much of a line wait for most rides. We did not stand in line for PK because the lines for that were silly. I dont love PK THAT much. Tried Firefall on Saturday but due to the nature of the ride he line moved so slow. Tried again on Sunday and was able to ride it almost walk on. Did not ride the train this time. I am honestly bummed that the two train robbers are not brothers. This bugs me and I cant decide why. I want A and R to be brothers. Anyhow, it was an amazing weekend to show up. Spectacular.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 07:10:27 AM »
My computer has been in the hospital until last night, so this is my first chance to reply. 

We had a great time Opening Day--arrived about 9 and left a little after 4.  The 12th is our Anniversary, so we got the buttons, the taffy, the brittle, the minicones, and the kettle corn.  All the citizens we met made a point of congratulating us. 

Because of the dreary weather, the Pickers were inside, so we couldn't get into their early show; we got into the second one early, however.  They are in fine fettle--finishing up a new album--and there was not a dry eye in the house when Walt sang "Arlington."

I like the colors on the bunting and banners around the city.  Engine #76 was pulling the train after a long period of rejuvenation, and doing a great job.  Best whistle on the Silver Dollar Line.  It was fun to see the comedy/magic act, and my wife got pulled up on stage to be a helper for part of it.

The crowds were never really an inconvenience, and the only place we wanted to go but wasn't open was the Apple Store.  We had a wonderful time, didn't spend too much money (a necessity for us right now), and got the new season off to a great start.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
We arrived at the City around 12:30 on the 16th.  Had to park in lot 5.  Waited forever for a tram only to have to wait some more getting in.  Bag check is not that bad once you get to the table....but it does slow down the entrance time a bit.  Immediately noticed the new split rail fences all over the place.  Basically walked around and tried to get in some rides.  First time I saw a line to the FM in a long time.  Line extended out to the racks next to the entrance.  I thought we just caught the time right after the train, but the train station was full with a line extending to about Reed Springs!  The train was just coming back into the station, so the FM was just that long.  Since there are only a few shows and shops open....lines are long to all the rides.  We strolled around and took everything in until I had enough of the crowds where it was time to leave.  After all, we were going back the next day....

The next day, we arrived at the City around 9am.  Parked in lot 2 next to the loading area.  Crowd was just as bad.  (I was surprised that we were able to walk straight into the Mill for breakfast)  Caught the Pickers on the porch and they were great as usual.  Lines to the rides were long again.  First time I stood in line for TNT all the way out in the zig-zag area!  PK had a line that began nearly at FITH.  I caught the pickers afternoon show at the shed while the kids stood in line for the rides!  ;-)  Numbers were around 10k on Wednesday, and I never did ask, but was at least 10k yesterday.

warp9p65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »
Arrived at the park early this morning hoping to enjoy the day, but it just couldn't seem to warm up any and the wind was howling.  So, only managed to attend church, take a few photos, make a purchase at the mill, then head back out.  I hope next weekend is more pleasant than today.  Brrr.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
I arrived at a SDC at 9:00 AM and looked around the square for changes and tried to warm myself in the sun.  Before rope drop both Woopsie and Terry do a little number about the new promotion "Celebrate" and it was for the kids but the insertion of Celebration by Kool and the Gang and Happy by Ferrell was a little jarring.  I was impressed they gave out a few prizes to the kids and threw t-shirts.  I went to Outlaw run no line and checked out the new Fry Bread stand.  Honestly I don't know who decided to put that in there the way they had it but I am sure there is less room in that btl neck now than before.  They didn't move the booth back as I suspected and encroach on the flowerbed in back they actually left the building where is was and made it deeper.  Therefore removing part of the flowerbed and they drove posts into the concrete to create a Q.    I could see the stripes for the parade faintly and there is now NO space to stand along the parade route anywhere near the saloon.  Its worse than it ever was. Not shifting this back closer to the saloon was a huge error and I cant see why they would make it tighter and not open it up. Profit before guest comfort and accessibility. I paced the park and noted small changes,   They replaced the water wheel but that was the only change at sulivans mill.  They are also putting stickers on things that say " SDC Home of Americas Craftsmen" or something like that.  when I asked at the pottery shop they said if it had the tag it was made there (SDC) but I have my doubts.  A lot of the pottery was marked, and there is not often a potter really cranking it out.  I see them in there working but I doubt they are making everything marked.  And what interested me is none of the stickers actually said ( Made in Silver Dollar City) They eluded to it but didn't say it.  I would have scratched made in SDC USA in the back of each one during the currant political climate it couldn't hurt.  I also noted that most of the taffy in the shop had the sticker but I didn't notice a new machine and I am aware that the machine they had wrapped a different shape of taffy.  More of a stick, and all the taffy looked like last years shape.  I am a stickler on the taffy.
On my way out of the park a cpl things crossed my mind, it was early and the lines were out the front of the rides.  shops were shuttered and not all the restaurants were open.  I left a little about noon, on my way out they had filled parking 5 already and the line of traffic went past the Ozark mtn highroad turn off. Although this time of year is a crap shoot for them with the weather they may want to claim that not all the shops ect will be open but do what they have to do on busy days, certainly on Saturday. Open them up just to serve the crowd with a distraction.  There were a lot of people but no shows or anything to eat them up so they were all waiting in long lines for a ride.  I enjoyed myself but reminded myself not to go back till they are really open for the season.
Friday night when I checked into the Classic they were full, I got the last room, the open hotels in town were no vacancy so they are doing well.  No upward progress on any of the new attractions with the acception of the adult jungle gym thing on the corner, I usually don't drive anywhere near there its such a snarl so I didn't see it.  Wheel is still on the ground with no cabins present.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:10:24 PM by mhguy77 »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 09:18:23 PM »
the insertion of Celebration by Kool and the Gang and Happy by Ferrell was a little jarring

I'll say.  Come on SDC; you can do better!

(Sorry, I know this isn't the gripe thread, but good grief, these things aren't that hard.)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 09:22:09 PM »
We arrived at the City around 12:30 on the 16th.  Had to park in lot 5.  Waited forever for a tram only to have to wait some more getting in.  Bag check is not that bad once you get to the table....but it does slow down the entrance time a bit.  Immediately noticed the new split rail fences all over the place.  Basically walked around and tried to get in some rides.  First time I saw a line to the FM in a long time.  Line extended out to the racks next to the entrance.  I thought we just caught the time right after the train, but the train station was full with a line extending to about Reed Springs!  The train was just coming back into the station, so the FM was just that long.  Since there are only a few shows and shops open....lines are long to all the rides.  We strolled around and took everything in until I had enough of the crowds where it was time to leave.  After all, we were going back the next day....

The next day, we arrived at the City around 9am.  Parked in lot 2 next to the loading area.  Crowd was just as bad.  (I was surprised that we were able to walk straight into the Mill for breakfast)  Caught the Pickers on the porch and they were great as usual.  Lines to the rides were long again.  First time I stood in line for TNT all the way out in the zig-zag area!  PK had a line that began nearly at FITH.  I caught the pickers afternoon show at the shed while the kids stood in line for the rides!  ;-)  Numbers were around 10k on Wednesday, and I never did ask, but was at least 10k yesterday.

I can echo this. I arrived at around 1:30 and had to park in lot 5 which was near full. Waited 20 mins for a tram but a white school bus arrived instead. Haven't rode in or seen one of those running around in a while as I usually manage to get a ride in a tram or one of their newer tour buses. Thought it was quite odd but I guess they were pulling out extra transports to handle the crowds. There was a bit of a wait for the bag checks too. The park was bustling in the usual areas as expected but I was surprised at how busy it was for a Wednesday. It felt more like a Friday or Sunday in the summer. All the rides had fairly long wait times (20 mins minimum) until the end of the day. Even FM WF and TNT were long. I take it they are having a really good start to the season.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »
Time to make my first trip review on this board.  Wife and I took our 4 kids Saturday morning to the park for our first trip in 2 years.  Family was Christmas gifted season passes from the grandparents this year!!!!

We left NWA early to try to make rope drop but it's tough to get a crew of 6 dressed and ready to go.  I did manage to make parking around 9:30....got to use preferred parking tickets that was also gifted.  Not sure if it is worth the extra costs.....actually seems like more working from those spots to the gate and the kids didn't get to ride the trams.

Told the little ones today was all about getting them on the new rides.  I'll probably theme most of our trips and/or get 1 or 2 top to dos from them to try to help manage expectations.  It's can be hard to keep a family of 6 happy when they all want to do different things.

We headed straight to FL and we all where impressed.  My oldest (11yo) and I headed to firefall and the younger ones started riding all the flats.  I wasn't expecting much from firefall but it does pack a fun little punch.  Was more intense than I thought.  Wish it could be taller and/or have another tower to help with capacity.  My 11yo felt like a bigshot riding it too:)  The little ones all liked the other flats....overall the area was a big hit!

Looked through Lucky's toy store then went back up to GE.  Kids got a few rides in.  My 7yo was begging to win a basketball but I didn't want to have to drag it around the park with me (or pay for it).  Was going to grab the kids some food from the stand in GE but the line was huge and not moving.  Ended up walking back toward the front of the park.

Oldest and I stopped at TnT as my wife stopped and talked a neighbors we ran into by the ride.  TnT seemed to be running fast for a cold morning!!!  Ended up eating at the hamburger place off main street.  Service was friendly but slow!!!!  It is painful to watch the 60yo worker slowly prepare food...one item at a time....as the whole line and 4-5 other workers wait on her.  Probable a 30 min wait to get our food with only 6-7 people in front of us.

After lunch walked up by PowerKeg that had a huge line....then FiTH had a line running out of the building.....then to Outlaw Run that had a 45 minute wait.  I skipped them all:(  We kept running in to friends from NWA and did a lot of chatting.  Park was packed and with the shows closed and a lot of shops not open the rides where packed.  Ended up going over to try to catch the train but ended up on FM.  My two little boys love FM and wanted to go twice.  We let the kids play in that area by the train station for awhile as we talked to yet another set of NWA Friends while waiting.  Finished the day by going to the candy store and getting some funnel cakes.  We left the parking lot around 2:30 and people where still coming in.  I was able to get us home back in NWA in time to see my Jayhawks play at 7:)

Pretty good day at the park...I anticipated the rides being crowded and park being pretty full due to decent weather and the first day of spring break for a lot of people.  I wasn't expecting to get a lot of rides in on the coasters and we got the kids on most of the flats they where wanting.  FL was a big hit....kids excited about going back.  It was more crowded that I thought it would be.  We didn't get to do as much as I hoped for but part of the beauty of having seasons passes is that we can pace yourself each trip and don't have to feel rushed to get your monies worth. 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"