Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157180 times)

Dave

• View Profile
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #345 on: May 19, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
The mine hasn't had a "drop". What you're remembering is, when the loaders release the boats, they drop up to a foot, settling in the water as it enters the main channel.

Fair enough. I was a little kid when I rode it before the guns. Before the 90's I only got to go to SDC every few years.

I'm thankful I got to ride the Diving bell and got to ride the Greedy Brothers canoe ride. I also remember getting to ride the pump car ride.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 19, 2020, 08:14:56 AM »
Because I was just a little guy back then, I always considered it a drop, too.  I had already spent a LOT of time on the water of the lake, and "dropping" in a boat was disconcerting!

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2020, 09:31:45 AM »
Because I was just a little guy back then, I always considered it a drop, too.  I had already spent a LOT of time on the water of the lake, and "dropping" in a boat was disconcerting!

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

It took some convincing for me to ride the flooded mine the first time. I didn't ride my first roller coaster until I was in 6th grade. And the only one I would ride was the mine train at six flags.

pintrader

« Reply #348 on: May 21, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
If capacity is what the park will hold until they start turning people away, then I think that is somewhere around 25,000.  If they are allowed to go half then that would be 12,500, and I think that would be plenty to turn a profit.  There are a lot of days they go over that but there are a lot of days they go under that also, and if they are limiting it to that number then most days would be close if not at capacity.   Now at Christmas & Pumpkin Nights that would be another story altogether and probably have to take reservations or count at the entrance.

Here's the thing though, at crowds of 10,000 you are still dealing with lines, walking near people, and crowds in general. In order to have a crowd free experience you'd have to only let in a few hundred people at a time, which isn't enough to turn a profit.

It's a moot point, because things are opening back up anyway, but for future pandemic planning it's basically all or nothing with these kinds of venues.

When you say "all or nothing" does that mean you think when they do open there will be no limitations to the number of people they allow into the park?  It looks to me like at the present it will be a slow process with a set amount being allowed into the park at one time.  I just don't see them allowing 15,000, 20,000 or more with the chance of starting an outbreak.   I mean technically isn't it still future pandemic planning since they haven't opened the doors?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:49:06 AM by Pintrader »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #349 on: June 25, 2020, 06:18:26 PM »
I will start off by saying I haven't been a huge fan of Vekoma, but some of the new stuff they are putting out (while I haven't ridden any of it yet) does look impressive with the theming and design. They would make a great compact family coaster addition to the park.

https://rcdb.com/16277.htm
https://rcdb.com/17715.htm
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:26:13 PM by sdcfan88 »

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 25, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »
I will start off by saying I haven't been a huge fan of Vekoma, but some of the new stuff they are putting out (while I haven't ridden any of it yet) does look impressive with the theming and design. They would make a great compact family coaster addition to the park.

https://rcdb.com/16277.htm
https://rcdb.com/17715.htm

Well Dollywood got one. It’s very family friendly with no inversions and a low minimum height requirement. If SDC does get one, I hope that they get one that is slightly bigger to accommodate two trains.

https://rcdb.com/16124.htm
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 09:13:11 PM by mg »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 25, 2020, 10:17:53 PM »
Yes that one is a cloned coaster layout. Hopefully SDC gets something unique and well themed.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 25, 2020, 11:22:53 PM »
I can see them going back to some of the other ideas they had for TT and using those with the Vekoma (the mine, idea, perhaps? I can't remember the other ones).

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 26, 2020, 12:58:41 PM »
Could be very possible.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 26, 2020, 01:23:22 PM »
I hoping their next NEW projects (after some tender loving care to the classics, that is) is a family friendly, non-spinning, non-looping coaster and an indoor ride- needed desperately.
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #355 on: June 26, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »
Still holding out for a dark ride.  They did poll this (though the choices were rather generic).
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 26, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »
Still holding out for a dark ride.  They did poll this (though the choices were rather generic).

Time for something other than a coaster. A highly themed dark ride.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 26, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
Just remember any new Dark Ride will likely come at the expense of FITH and FM.

pintrader

« Reply #358 on: June 26, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »

Okay....lets just scrap that idea then... :)   No, actually just bulldoze American Plunge to wherever it needs to go to make room for a highly themed dark ride would be my choice.  Mystic River Falls replaces it and Lost River nicely.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:27:16 PM by Pintrader »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 26, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »

I beg to differ, sir.  The PTB are very aware of how crowded those 2 rides are during inclement weather.  I see a new dark ride (or at least indoor ride) would be an addition and not a replacement.  Fingers crossed anyway.
I'm Your Huckleberry