Author Topic: The Globetrotters Summer 2015  (Read 11845 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: The Globetrotters Summer 2015
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
So SDC is currently on the front page of Reddit due to a personal story about the poor handling of the disabled seats at the Harlem Globetrotters Experience: http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/3cfy8u/being_fat_is_not_a_disability/

While neither SDC or the HGE are really being focused on, it doesn't cast good light on either, so I feel like some changes are on the way here. The wheel chair issue is a growing concern... They've been known to run out before because so many guests have simply gotten too big to be able to support their own weight.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 04:19:48 PM »
I've been near the wheelchair rental booth several times when SDC has run out of electric chairs.  I've seen some guests get very angry and throw a fit when they are told that there are no available chairs to rent; the ones sitting there have been reserved for people that called in ahead of time to reserve one.  It is highly suggested by SDC to call ahead and reserve.  I wouldn't want to be one of the workers manning that booth.  That said, what stinks about SDC's wheelchair access area is that the person in the wheelchair must sit separate from the rest of the family.  One person may sit behind the disabled person, and the rest of the family must find seating elsewhere.  When I had to use a manual wheelchair, I do remember getting to sit by my husband at Echo Hollow.  Other places, not so much...which definitely discouraged us from attending any shows or events.  On the other side of this, I've seen a disabled guest show up with 15 others all expecting to get to sit in accessible seating and getting angry when they are told they must move.  Not sure where the happy medium lies.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
I don't get why people always think they need to be by each other during a show or on a rollercoaster. They won't be talking to each other, so why does it matter if they are by each other. It seems like every time I'm at a park I am asked to go in front of someone on a ride just so their whole group can be on the same train.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
It's just sad that people are getting so obese that they call it a handicap, but it's not like places like SDC and other parks offer much that is considered good nutrition either.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 04:40:03 PM »
If I was obese (which I'm definitely not), I wouldn't want to walk around SDC very badly.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 05:12:51 PM »
It's just sad that people are getting so obese that they call it a handicap, but it's not like places like SDC and other parks offer much that is considered good nutrition either.

SDC offers plenty of good nutrition choices - fresh fruit and veggies, tater twists, popcorn, caramel corn, choices of salads and veggies, some lean chicken at the buffet, burgers.  It's up to you to make healthy choices and avoid the unhealthy ones, but they are there if you want them.  They also let you bring in your own food.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »

SDC offers plenty of good nutrition choices - fresh fruit and veggies, tater twists, popcorn, caramel corn, choices of salads and veggies, some lean chicken at the buffet, burgers.  It's up to you to make healthy choices and avoid the unhealthy ones, but they are there if you want them.  They also let you bring in your own food.

Come on you don't really believe that burgers , frited tater twists, theme park popcorn and caramel corn are healthy do you? Let alone a buffet.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 07:47:35 PM »
It's all about moderation, but by the time you're at SDC that's beside the point anyway.

The issue of obesity is probably a bigger issue than what we should delve into here, but the HGTE can certainly do a little more to alleviate the disabled seating concerns here. As many have noted, some of it is probably overblown because you're always going to be sitting behind someone unless you are lucky enough to have front row seats, so maybe there's a little entitlement coming from the father instead of the women. Plus, we don't necessarily know their specific issues...

It was just shocking to me to see SDC at the top of reddit like that.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »

SDC offers plenty of good nutrition choices - fresh fruit and veggies, tater twists, popcorn, caramel corn, choices of salads and veggies, some lean chicken at the buffet, burgers.  It's up to you to make healthy choices and avoid the unhealthy ones, but they are there if you want them.  They also let you bring in your own food.

Come on you don't really believe that burgers , frited tater twists, theme park popcorn and caramel corn are healthy do you? Let alone a buffet.

Compared to funnel cakes, skillet dinners, cinnamon rolls, giant turkey legs, and bakery offerings, yes they are better, more nutritious offerings. They certainly aren't perfect, but if you choose to gorge yourself on higher fat/sugar food, that's your choice.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:43:07 PM by Gilligan »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 09:12:59 PM »
The motorized chairs at Walmart are abused by lazy folk. I pray for the day they are got rid of. Several recent youtube have been seen at Corporate showing the abuse. SDC rents them, it's revenue but often these folks are discourtious at best and plum dangerous at worse. Folks can supply their own, it's a plenty abused Medicare/medicaid program.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 12:25:32 PM »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
The Star-Spangling Banner Festival? It shouldn't be that hard to get the name right.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
Do not be so quick to judge the people riding in those carts.  It may be that the ones who are overwieght are riding for a different reason.

My wife--like I am--is overweight, but that is not the reason that she has ridden in the electric carts, at the City and Walmart, too.  She has ridden because of her artificial hip--she is on the third revision of it--the result of a Giant Cell bone tumor that ate her pelvis and femural head when she was 28 years old.  Now at 44, it looks like loosening of the hardware is pointing her at yet another revision.  That means she'll have to ride the carts again for a while.

The last time, she got some dirty looks and snide, under-the-breath remarks about riding them just because she was fat.  'Fraid not, folks.

Next time you see someone on those carts, think twice before assuming WHY they are using the carts.  "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."  And:  "As ye have done it unto the least of these, so ye have done it unto me."

Hollwood

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 05:25:04 PM »
They are ECV's, Electric Covienance Vehicles. you do not have to be disabled to rent one...

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 07:22:40 PM »
Do not be so quick to judge the people riding in those carts.  It may be that the ones who are overwieght are riding for a different reason.

My wife--like I am--is overweight, but that is not the reason that she has ridden in the electric carts, at the City and Walmart, too.  She has ridden because of her artificial hip--she is on the third revision of it--the result of a Giant Cell bone tumor that ate her pelvis and femural head when she was 28 years old.  Now at 44, it looks like loosening of the hardware is pointing her at yet another revision.  That means she'll have to ride the carts again for a while.

The last time, she got some dirty looks and snide, under-the-breath remarks about riding them just because she was fat.  'Fraid not, folks.

Next time you see someone on those carts, think twice before assuming WHY they are using the carts.  "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."  And:  "As ye have done it unto the least of these, so ye have done it unto me."

You are absolutely right!  And, I'm sorry your wife had to endure sneers and dirty looks from mean-spirited righteous people. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:25:48 PM by Gilligan »