Author Topic: The Globetrotters Summer 2015  (Read 11850 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
The Globetrotters Summer 2015
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:09:16 AM »
Has anyone been to the Globetrotter Experience show yet? The email I received from SDC said that in addition to the 30 minute shows, the players would be available for a meet and greet after each show.

Here's what Branson Tri-Lakes has to say about the Globetrotters:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_c6a80f06-0ee0-11e5-9c3b-03aff537a82b.html

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Re: The Globetrotters Summer 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »
Interested in seeing the Globetrotters. Must ask this question: What do the cartoon characters have to do with the 1880 Ozarks? Answer: NOTHING!    NOT in Miss Marys time. Just sayin...  Poor Miss Mary must be spinning in her grave. Then again, what do the Globetrotters have to do with the 1880s Ozarks? Noting, but at least they are inside a theater. Oh well, guess I cannot live in the past... ;D
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:41:46 PM »
Aren't the cartoon characters inside too?
SWOOSH

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:54:02 PM »
I realize that the globetrotters have nothing to do with the past.  They aren't a draw for us so we probably won't go for the summer mo tha.  It's too hot and we have white water passes. 

But the summer festival hasn't had anything to do with the past for a very long time.  Let's face it.  This isn't Miss Mary's time anymore.   If it were, we wouldn't have the basketballs or games (can't we get rid of those?),  the grand expo, or fireman's landing.  Both of those were good expansions.  We would still have the tree house and the ropes and the ball pit.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »

I have become an avid kayak er during the warm months.  I dont miss the city in the heat and I dont miss the kids stuff.  The Globetrotters are now so politically correct they have a woman now, notice in the adds.  However they do not have a white person.....I guess that White Privaledge i keep hearing about only gets us so far....... ::) ::) ::) ::)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
From what I have heard but not seen this is just a exhibition. They are not actually playing a game ( cough cough ) like normal. So just a few tricks and some stunts. The Globetrotters have been bought and sold so many times the last few years I wonder if this is a last ditch effort by Herschend to make them relevant again. Sort of like the Circus I think that their time is past.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »
Sort of like the Circus I think that their time is past.
Relevant and on target, I agree

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 09:13:30 PM »
The circus has just evolved.  The "circus" is now "CIRQUE du SOLEIL"
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 09:19:50 PM »
To paraphrase William Shakespeare,

"All the world's a circus, and the men and women merely clowns..."
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
From what I have heard but not seen this is just a exhibition. They are not actually playing a game ( cough cough ) like normal. So just a few tricks and some stunts. The Globetrotters have been bought and sold so many times the last few years I wonder if this is a last ditch effort by Herschend to make them relevant again. Sort of like the Circus I think that their time is past.

The overseas leagues have cut into the quality player pools from which to draw from. Arkansas has an alumnus that could easy be playing in the  NBA but he is making tens of millions as a Euroleague all star for a team in Russia. Back in the day when the NBA was half of the teams it is today and no other place to play, the Globetrotters were very talented.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »

The overseas leagues have cut into the quality player pools from which to draw from. Arkansas has an alumnus that could easy be playing in the  NBA but he is making tens of millions as a Euroleague all star for a team in Russia. Back in the day when the NBA was half of the teams it is today and no other place to play, the Globetrotters were very talented.

I meant that the whole concept was old and worn out. They do the same things they did in the 70's, and 80's. You cannot even compare the NBA and the Globetrotters.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »

I meant that the whole concept was old and worn out. They do the same things they did in the 70's, and 80's. You cannot even compare the NBA and the Globetrotters.

Not to the young, that's the primary target. I was making note that back in the day they were very talented ball players, now not so much.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 11:32:30 PM »
They're still talented in their own right, but as I understand it, the Globetrotters are now focused on being a show and less of a showcase. It has evolved more with the times than some of you guys may be willing to give it credit for since you aren't part of the target audience.

I was curious about the Globetrotters addition to HFEC at first, but now I think it's brilliant, and their performances at SDC should fit in well. It sounds like a fun and positive show that will engage a lot of kids.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 07:31:38 AM »
They're still talented in their own right, but as I understand it, the Globetrotters are now focused on being a show and less of a showcase. It has evolved more with the times than some of you guys may be willing to give it credit for since you aren't part of the target audience.

I was curious about the Globetrotters addition to HFEC at first, but now I think it's brilliant, and their performances at SDC should fit in well. It sounds like a fun and positive show that will engage a lot of kids.

Around 200 they were playing some D1 college teams, name teams, in competitive exibitions and winning them. They beat the Cuse once.

kate475

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
We went this past Friday. It was pretty fun.  My kids (ages 8 to 12) loved it. It was a little cheesy, but I expected that kind of thing with the Globetrotters. There was a meet and greet after the show.