Author Topic: flooded mine question  (Read 48643 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: flooded mine question
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »
Is it ever specified as to what is being mined? I know the regions folklore is that of the Yocum Silver mine, but did the ride ever tell WHAT the miners were mining? I loved the older ride, but in 90' when the guns came, it really changed the feel of it. You could no longer could hear the effects, storyline-as many of you said on here a while back. Much has been lost of escaping prisoners in a mine, now it is escaping prisoners that we help save? ohh that and see how high your gun can go before your trigger finger goes numb!

stlphotogal

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »
Personally I think they are mining silver but that doesn't explain the saw (which has had the actual tines removed - thank goodness...that scared the crap out of me as a kid! - remember rube? I couldn't sit on the edge.) I do miss when they decorated for Christmas with all of the candy...

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »
Welcome sis! uh oh, even more competition for the where in the park questions now! The dead canary, the "I'm gettin' outta here, no matter what!" the runaway saw, all I feel are lost on todays riders since they cannot experience them with all the shooting sounds. But silver is what I think...

sdcforever

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 02:14:14 PM »
My guess is that they're mining silver.  The only reason I'm aware of the storyline for the ride is from riding it before the guns were installed; you definitely can't hear anything when you ride it now except for gun sounds.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 02:50:40 PM »
They are mining silver, the lucky and unlucky mines of Silver Dollar City. I agree that the story is kind of lost on the Mine now. I liked when the lights would go off after the saw fell. The foam balls that were supposed to be rock fall were funny, but a nice idea. Many of the characters are hard to hear now. The guy manning the pumps is yelling for help. Also the man stuck in the little prison is saying the lyrics to the theme song. 

“…this tiny one man jail, sweat a little water and you’ll sweat a little blood, and you might get out if the mine don’t flood.”

SteamFreak

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 08:42:59 AM »
Luckly enough, most time the ride isn't very busy, and some times we can even get rides alone. (Had a few of those on FITH, lot of fun) It's times like those I lvoe the best cuz you dont have to hear the guns and you can just sit back and watch the effects.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2009, 11:22:26 PM »
It definitely went downhill when they added the guns. The saw and the falling foam rocks (with strobe lights) were good. All the projector faces were good. The signs were good. The canaries (living and dead) were good. Now it's just a lame floating video game for anyone who is playing shoot-em-up instead of watching for the details.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »
While i agree the theme has been lost- they increased the amount of "re-rides" which I am sure was their desire.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »
Remember when we used to get to stand in line for a while, building the anticipation?  Now we can just hop on anytime we feel like it.  It's practically a self-serve ride now.  A lot of people do re-ride, but that's just because the line is short.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »
I believe its main function these days is as a good place to cool off and sit down. The guns give the 3-7 year old set something to do while the 'rents rest their feet.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »
I enjoy the fact we can reride without exiting and having to get back on again.

sdcforever

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2009, 08:35:29 PM »
^Me too.  I know when I was younger my mom used to take my sister and I to the flooded mine after when had been in the park a while; I suspect it was so she could rest her feet for a bit. :)

safetyrs

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2009, 10:44:37 AM »
I definitely noticed that they really cleaned up the characters and got things functioning again this year.  Some of the characters were very worn before.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2009, 01:37:39 PM »
I definitely noticed that they really cleaned up the characters and got things functioning again this year.  Some of the characters were very worn before.
I ran into some of those old characters walking around above the ride.. there are old heads in boxes up there... scary stuff!

I believe its main function these days is as a good place to cool off and sit down. The guns give the 3-7 year old set something to do while the 'rents rest their feet.

As a ride operator and boat loader... i can say that the adults and the geriatrics (lol) love those guns.. they may put them down once inside the ride but when i'm dispatching the boats all the guns are in use.

SteamFreak

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2009, 10:55:22 AM »
Are you not working the cave this season Doc?