Author Topic: Never been to SDC  (Read 5003 times)

ParkSutton

• View Profile
Never been to SDC
« on: June 01, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »
Greetings to all,

I have never been to sdc. Normally my family and I, (wife 3 kids ages 10,8,6) go to Disney. However I don't think we can afford that this year so considering sdc. Some questions I have:
1) what are crowds like in early August? like how long is the wait for your basic attraction. We would go during the week.m
2) what do meals cost? Specifically kids meals.
3) is there enough to do and see there to warrant 3 days at the park?
4) What is the feel there? By that I mean is it like Disney, or like six flags?

Any advice from veterans would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Never been to SDC
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »
Greetings to all,

I have never been to sdc. Normally my family and I, (wife 3 kids ages 10,8,6) go to Disney. However I don't think we can afford that this year so considering sdc. Some questions I have:
1) what are crowds like in early August? like how long is the wait for your basic attraction. We would go during the week.m
2) what do meals cost? Specifically kids meals.
3) is there enough to do and see there to warrant 3 days at the park?
4) What is the feel there? By that I mean is it like Disney, or like six flags?

Any advice from veterans would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.

In Aug, you can expect high 80s to a shade under a 100. It's humid most time. Dress light and make sure it's breathable, I suggest newer moisture wicking/ quick dry clothing. You can get wet at SDC.

Crowds during the week will be light with many rides wait or nearly wait free.

Three days? You'll likely have time to catch most shows and crafts demonstrations and not stay open to close to pull it off, mix in a day at White Water and I think you could have three solid days and have it mostly covered. Don't forget the cave tour.

As a rule, 10 bucks a meal for adults, and 6 for kids with a drink. Depends on beverages really. Lots of food options.

Crowd wise, I'd say it's a mix between Six Flags and Disney on the weekends, but during the week a much more laid back and older crowds with families will be expected not many roving groups of teens. Don't expect copious amounts of teenagers as employees.  The theming is much closer to Disney than Six Flags. Lot's of shopping from pottery, to furniture made on park to glass blowing to sweets made before your eyes. The feel is SDC, it has it's own unique feel.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »
Welcome!, you will have a great time. SDC is NOT disney or 6 flags..  Lots of stuff to do and see as you walk around between rides.

3 days? easy! just expect to be able to relax while @ the park..

IF you go the last 4days in july/1st 4 days in August, that is there "Moonlight Madness Event".  The park is acually open unitl 10:00 every night.. otherwise it is 6:00 the rest of the month..

Where r u staying?  As a member of this Forum, You have the option to stay on the west side of branson @ a Motel where we get an excellent rate.  Homestay Inn:  our daily rate is 40.00 per night, any nite or nites you want to stay. We have a complete thread on this topic.  The last 2 years (we) as members have stayed there 300 nites each year. SO we obiuosly like the place.  You must call Homestay direct for this discount, 417-336-2666, talk to Paige.

motel is only about a 10 minute drive on the hiway from SDC.

And if you decide you want to see any shows while in Branson, Paige can get you discounted tickets

http://homestaybranson.com/

Have a great visit!

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
Basically it has been covered. However someone mentioned that the SDC closes at 6 PM. (which it does), but there is an outdoor ampitheatre on SDC property that has a nightly show (after the park closes and is free with SDC admission). It is a live show and is as good as any show you will see on the Branson strip.

If I had 3 days in Branson during the week. I would spend 1 day at White Water (an SDC property) water park, then that evening checking out shopping or a show on the strip. I would spend 2 days at SDC. -- 1 day be at SDC about 30 minutes (at least) before opening. That way you can have a good breakfast buffet at Mollys. Then catch the opening ceremonies. (both on the square inside SDC). That day I would focus on a handful of rides/shows and leave at 6PM (you could do every ride in day during the week fairly easy). The next day I might sleep in a bit, be at SDC when you want. Go do the rest of the rides/shows/stores. Stay hydrated good, and stay for the ampitheatre show that night.

SDC has many employees (citizens) that are older folks. Hardly any teenagers work there. The older folks really do give you a "welcomed" feel. They make it very clear that they truly appreciate you being there, and will do anything they can to make your visit pleasant.
--truthfully the whole Branson strip is filled with older employees. Branson is a tourist town, and not so much a residential complex. Thats not to say that folks dont live in Branson. Branson population is like 5000, but not a lot of families, mostly workers. The whole Branson/SDC experience is something that words alone can not describe. It is a vacation spot that makes you feel like your family neighborhood. They make you feel not only welcomed, but wanted. Like the only reason they stick around is so you can visit.

I have not personally stayed at Homestay Inn. However I do have plans to on my next visit. If you dont stay at Homestay, there are a couple other places for $40 a night though. Gretna Inn is one of them. Most $40 motels there now offer Micro & Fridge in every single room. (Gretna does, I dont think Homestay does-call Homestay to double check).   Some even offer a full breakfast. (Gretna does not-I think Homestay does)

Have fun in Branson (OH one more thing) If you do visit us in Branson and SDC---you will throw rocks at Florida and Disney.  Just sayin.   Be careful-God Bless
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
I love SDC, but your kids may get bored by the third day, especially if they are used to visiting Disney.  It is definitely not Disney, but I view that as a good thing. I would take two days at the park and one day at Whitewater (a water park owned by SDC). Check the internet for additional things to do.  Ride the Ducks will get you on the lake, and I've yet to meet a kid who didn't like it.  Your kids might also enjoy mini-golf and go-carts.  I'm sure the food is less expensive than Disney. This is Missouri - so - it is normally hot, hot, hot and considerably humid.  Someone mentioned earlier to take the cave tour.  That would def be on my "do not miss" list.  It will be cool on a hot day and very interesting.  If I were you, I'd take the afternoon tour when it starts to get really hot and kids start to get grumpy.   

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
Homestay Inn:

Does have fridge,microwave,coffee pot in every room.

Breakfast includes, cold cereal, milk, OJ, Coffee, Make your own Waffles, Instant oatmeals, toast, english muffins, donuts and other assorted pastries, fresh fruit.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »
Homestay Inn:

Does have fridge,microwave,coffee pot in every room.

Breakfast includes, cold cereal, milk, OJ, Coffee, Make your own Waffles, Instant oatmeals, toast, english muffins, donuts and other assorted pastries, fresh fruit.

And my question has been answered. Thanks Sanddune!!!

I will say this to Parksutton.  I have heard only great things about Homestay Inn. To the point that I know that is where I will be when I finally get to return to Branson.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 03:05:43 PM »
You're not, by chance, the person from Disboards who said they were considering SDC for a family vacation, would you?! ;)  If so, welcome to the SDCfans forum! :D

I would personally do 2 days at SDC and 1 day at Whitewater. SDC has lots of festivals.  My favorite is World Fest (because of the FOOD!!!), but unfortunately, that one's over.  Now, Kids Fest is getting ready to start, and there's a lot of great entertainment for the kiddos, so do check out some of the shows.  It's a great way to take a break from the heat and enjoy some quality entertainment at the same time!

Again, welcome to the forum and I hope you have a wonderful trip!  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:39:17 PM by Makayna »

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
As for the "feel" of SDC in comparison to other parks, I agree with others that there is no comparison.  It's neither Disney nor Six Flags. It's Silver Dollar City, which has its own feel entirely.  In regards to rides, you've got a really good mix of thrill rides and family rides.  For thrill rides, there's Powder Keg (similar to Mr. Freeze at Six Flags), Wild Fire (a roller coaster that goes upside down 5 times), and Outlaw Run (brand new wooden coaster this year that goes upside down in a corkscrew and is an absolute blast!), which have 48-52" height requirements depending on the ride.  A lot of your other rides are family rides with height requirements of 42" or less.  In the Grand Exposition, you're going to find rides similar to Dumbo and the Tea Cups along with other rides with sort of a "World's Fair" feel to it.  It truly is unique in that the park's theming is unlike any other park out there.  Definitely, on one of your days (or split up between the days), spend some time checking out some of the craftsmen and women at the park.  You'd be remiss not to!  There are blacksmiths, candle makers, glass blowers, candy makers, pottery makers and much, much more.  And a lot of the things you can buy on the park were made right there by these craftsmen and women!  It's hard to describe the feel of the park to someone who's never been there because it's just so different!  And that's definitely a good thing!  I really hope you enjoy your vacation!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »
SDC is an "idealized Ozark mountain village." If you have read the quaint "Arcadian" literature, history and folklore by such writers of years past like Vance Randolph, Amos Harlan, Otto Ernest Rayburn, or Cora Pinkley Call, you know they presented the Ozarks of times past as a hardscrabble but beautiful country, where men and women worked hard, living off the land, surviving by their wits, and a people rooted in Elizabethan Era speech and folkways. That is the way the founders of the park initially came up with in terms of their theme. Look at the SDC logo, an axe in a log with the Sun setting behind it, the letters of the park appear to be carved into the side of the log. Of course, since the 1990's, the park has been turned over partially or fully to others now who operate by looking at the bottom line. Nothing wrong with that, because if they are not profitable, they go the way of Dogpatch. The heavily themed rides of years past such as Flooded Mine, Fire in the Hole, Diving Bell, all are/were hidden inside a themed building. The outside rides like the train and float trip blended into the woods and surrounding terrain. Today, we have the Grand Exposition with its worlds fair theme, and big roller coasters, that no matter how well done, still feature elements that don't mix as well as the older themed rides. However, the "Ozark mountain village" area of the park remains well intact, with the more modern rides on the edge of the park, surrounded by woods. So, in the end, it all works out OK. I still wish certain elements were better themed, but understand why things are as they are. SDC is still a superior product than many other places out there one could go to. So I say "hats off" in salute to the current "citizens" who work so hard to entertain us and give us a good vacation day or two!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
The line for these are never as long as Dumbo:

Tea cups neither:

And I wish this vomit inducer

was this with a hill

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:15:54 PM by chittlins »

ParkSutton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »
 Thanks  everyone,  it looks like we will be going to sdc for two days.

and yes it's the same parksutton from the Disney dashboard.

thanks

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »
Definitely closest to Disney; Six Flags doesn't even come close.

I've been a fan of SDC for 20 years now, but I recently had the opportunity to have a week at WDW both Jan 2011 and Jan 2012. I have to say that I may just be more of a Disney fan than SDC fan now (omg, I know, blasphemy!). However, I acknowledge that the difference between the two is really how much money each has invested in it. Disney parks obviously have way more money behind them, so of course they can hire more employees and keep theming up-to-date more, etc.

I'd say the best comparison for Disney and SDC would be Tom Sawyer Island at Magic Kingdom. When my friend and I went there last year, I felt like I was at "home." TSI is more rugged than the more traversed areas of Frontierland, and therefore is more in line with SDC's more "re-enactment" feeling of theming versus the "Disney" feel.

What SDC has going for it is line waits. If you go on pretty much any day other than a Saturday, you're looking at 45min tops for any given ride, and that'd probably be just for the big rides like Powderkeg, Outlaw Run, and Wildfire (though WF goes pretty quickly these days because of its large capacity [four seats per row as opposed to two]). If there on a Sunday, don't expect many or any line waits.

As for food... well... I really feel like in terms of getting the most for your buck, Disney wins. We got the free meal plan that came with staying at a Disney resort on the off-season. It wasn't even the one with table service. Just snacks and quick service, but that more than fed us. I wish SDC had some kind of meal plan, but of course, I also wish they had their own "resort" nearby as well. As for quality, SDC has some great food that you can't find at other theme parks. The skillets are the best, IMHO.

But anyway, I think you'll like SDC. It isn't Disney, but not in a negative way. If you're a Disney fan, you'll enjoy the immersive theming of SDC.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:47:52 PM by Joy »