Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 180309 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #465 on: August 28, 2016, 11:07:49 PM »

It reminds me a lot of the new Dollywood sign

Goodbye Silver Dollar City.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #466 on: August 29, 2016, 12:10:02 AM »

It reminds me a lot of the new Dollywood sign
Goodbye Silver Dollar City.

Seems rather extreme that you're leaving because of a sign.  Bye Felicia
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 29, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »
Seems rather extreme that you're leaving because of a sign.  Bye Felicia

I am not going anywhere yet but this seems to be a trend.  With the pics you posted of the new game (I think that was your site).  The Kettle Corn Booth, Ice Cream Booth in the GE and now the sign out front have that generic Branson Bell sign look that Dollywood uses, it appears they are going in that direction.  My issue is they are not the same park and I don't think the formula in DW is magic I think its a combination of things including the area population, ride investments and the Dolly name doesn't hurt them.  SDC however is a different park, what was changed to make SDC TN into DW is now showing up in SDC.  Look at the building styles.  The problem with this style is it belongs in SF, this is not what SDC was built on and I don't know that's what the SDC audience are seeking out.  It seems to me that with the loss of SDC style and character it will also lose some fans.  Maybe the young ones that don't care will fill in the gaps and I am not thinking broadly enough but going from the 1800s to something patterned almost directly from a Roller Coaster Tycoon game is changing directions.  I question the direction and the long term effects.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 29, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
I know what you're saying mh, I'm not going anywhere either, but I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 29, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
I'm not going anywhere either. BUT, the PTB clearly seem to want to guide the park in a new direction. If that's the case, then do it. Quit saying you are an 1880's Ozark Mountain village and the "Home of American Craftsmanship" if you really want to be Six Flags Branson.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 29, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
Agreed.  Slowly starting to lose the charm bit by bit. 

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 29, 2016, 02:03:28 PM »
Guess you're taking the new sign as a sign of a complete park change?  lol

To quote Ulysses from "oh brother": "Yessir, the South is gonna change. Everything's gonna be put on electricity and run on a paying basis. Out with old spiritual mumbo-jumbo, the superstition and the backward ways. We're gonna see a brave new world where they run everyone a wire and hook us all up to the grid. Yessir, a veritable age of reason - like they had in France. And not a moment too soon..."

lmao....It's just an updated sign and new paint on the dumbos (which was needed)

What would the reaction be if they announced a hyper that run down that road....lol

To be fair....the old sign was iconic so I get why the change might be emotional.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:16:44 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 29, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »
You guys crack me up.  You know if Mary was still alive the park would be completely Art Deco by now.  Each decade was another version of the park with Mary in charge.  It just so happened to stop at 1880s. 

You might as well embrace the fact the theme has changed.  The new people they brought into the front office don't get the 1880s theme - shoot most guests don't either.  They do get generic mining and cowboy themes and that's what we have now. 
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 29, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »
You guys crack me up.  You know if Mary was still alive the park would be completely Art Deco by now.  Each decade was another version of the park with Mary in charge.  It just so happened to stop at 1880s. 

You might as well embrace the fact the theme has changed.  The new people they brought into the front office don't get the 1880s theme - shoot most guests don't either.  They do get generic mining and cowboy themes and that's what we have now.

To be totally honest did the park ever have a set theme anyway? It always seemed to be a moving target. As a example what 1880's Ozark village ever had a saloon based on something out of Deadwood or Dodge City. Then you have the mining sub theme mixed in too.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 29, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
SDC however is a different park, what was changed to make SDC TN into DW is now showing up in SDC. 

Dolly did say she wanted to open another Dollywood.............

Jay

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 29, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »
SDC however is a different park, what was changed to make SDC TN into DW is now showing up in SDC. 

Dolly did say she wanted to open another Dollywood.............

Jay

^^^ That is a completely different situation.  I'd be upset about any type of rebranding SDC by adding Dolly to it.  Especially if they would go full on Dollywood-Branson

Dolly just doesn't have the pull around here like she does in her home region.  I think that would be a horrible move both short term and long term.  Who is going to care about Dolly around here in 50 years anyway.  Keep building the SDC name.....Dolly's legacy will only work long-term in TN.

SDC has a rustic Ozark hillbilly brand....only SDC diehards understand the 1880s timeline.  Just think about the show that help put SDC on the national map....the Beverly Hillbillies capitalized on the conflict between the old (country/poor) and new (city/rich).  My thoughts are that SDC brand should continue with the foundation of creating family memories but to do that with those conflicts in mind to add entertainment value. 

Here a dangerous thought (for this board).....I don't believe the past we visit at SDC has to stay static in the 1880s.   Just keep spirit of visiting the Ozark past in whatever is done.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #476 on: August 29, 2016, 07:20:02 PM »

To be totally honest did the park ever have a set theme anyway? It always seemed to be a moving target. As a example what 1880's Ozark village ever had a saloon based on something out of Deadwood or Dodge City. Then you have the mining sub theme mixed in too.

To my knowledge they always targeted the theme of recreating Marmaros. I thought the whole "keep the city exactly 100 years in the past" thing was a brief experiment from the late 80's. Gaslight Square was introduced in 1989... Maybe some ideas are getting crossed here, but I think Mary always wanted to develop the park as a respectful, romanticized example of a historic Ozark mining town.

The sign is not the type of thing that gets me up in arms anymore. Years ago when this site was getting off the ground, we were still pointing out things like inconsistencies in architecture and exposed cash registers, but we knew we were fighting a losing battle. That era has come and gone. It pretty much died with Wildfire (I know we can argue the exact year, but that's not the point).

Swoosh is right that the people in place now simply don't and can't get the "old" park and all it's nuances that made it special and unique not just among theme parks but among special places in the world. Just like with everything else, those memories are literally dying off with the passing into a new generation. Kids growing up now have always know the park as a place full of rides rather than a crazy hidden tree village with various attractions.

Instead of letting myself get hung up over the inevitable changes that come from growing into a multinational corporation, I focus on the big things. As long as they keep going above and beyond with the effort to stand out from among other theme parks, I'll be a fan. There are still many things that will get me up in arms, such as the seemingly inevitable demolition of the Flooded Mine and FITH, but we'll see how that all plays out.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 13, 2016, 08:40:12 PM »
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 13, 2016, 09:29:52 PM »
Progress continues on the new signs
https://midwestinfoguide.blogspot.com/2016/09/park-update-sdc.html

Thanks for the pics! Do you think it'll be totally done by the end of next week? I'm gonna be at SDC on Friday the 23rd and would love to see it finished by then.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 13, 2016, 09:41:14 PM »
The log and axe might be up by then but I imagine there is still quite a bit to do on the sign.  The West sign is a long way from being done. 
SWOOSH