Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 180306 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2016, 07:10:36 PM »
Now I wish I had taken photos.  You guys know I don't complain.  I generally stay out of things and just post reviews and occasionally on a random post.  But it was reported more than once by more than one person on this board that everything had new paint, etc and that is far from the truth.  The pirate ships were bubbling and peeling.  The wave carousel was paint was faded.  The metal on many rides was rusting and the railings in the tea cup air were dirty and chipping.  I don't think I would necessarily notice these things but since it was touted on this board as "everything got attention" I was looking forward to it.

You obviously know best. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2016, 08:08:21 PM »
So it sounds like some specific items were addressed, but the whole area didn't necessarily receive a make-over. Some of it is a work in progress I'm sure. Probably just a head start for what they'll do later this year if they are indeed putting a new ride in this area.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2016, 10:14:21 PM »
Like tin man said there is a relatively small team that is working on the entire park.  They did a lot of work on GE.  Now maybe both tinman and myself are too familiar with the area that we noticed the minute changes while others haven't. Idk.  But I'll post photos when I get home.  We leave TN in the morning
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 28, 2016, 07:34:56 AM »
So it sounds like some specific items were addressed, but the whole area didn't necessarily receive a make-over. Some of it is a work in progress I'm sure. Probably just a head start for what they'll do later this year if they are indeed putting a new ride in this area.

^^^^
What he said..^^

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 19, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
Do you guys think the park would ever expand the train loop or maybe even add more trains to the system?
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 19, 2016, 02:36:31 PM »
Do you guys think the park would ever expand the train loop or maybe even add more trains to the system?

They may have to  reroute it. To expand would mean huge crowds much more often due to capacity needs. they'd have to expanded it long enough to time a three train operation. That would mean a tressel/bridge or two due to topography. I imagine that would be very costly.

I have maintained that SDC should build an authentic style roundhouse and turntable so the whole train operation would be open and that would allow that back stage area to be opened for expansion and connectivity. A row of tall store buildings and a dark ride should be used to block 76 out.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #426 on: May 19, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »

They may have to  reroute it. To expand would mean huge crowds much more often due to capacity needs. they'd have to expanded it long enough to time a three train operation. That would mean a tressel/bridge or two due to topography. I imagine that would be very costly.

I have maintained that SDC should build an authentic style roundhouse and turntable so the whole train operation would be open and that would allow that back stage area to be opened for expansion and connectivity. A row of tall store buildings and a dark ride should be used to block 76 out.

I love the roundhouse idea, even if it were a complete facade.  76 and parking are way too visible from the train in a way they didn't used to be.  A "roundhouse" could even be used as an entertainment and retail venue, or at the very least, a new part of the waiting area for the ride, complete with interactive elements.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 19, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »

I love the roundhouse idea, even if it were a complete facade.  76 and parking are way too visible from the train in a way they didn't used to be.  A "roundhouse" could even be used as an entertainment and retail venue, or at the very least, a new part of the waiting area for the ride, complete with interactive elements.

Take away 1/3 of this, but shows a park like setting as it's a museum

While in keeping with the 1880s it could open up the area for a more industrial area like how Outlaw Run opened up the Wild West. Think of the Ice House concept of the past,. You could even do something to meat packing  complete with a sitdown steakhouse

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #428 on: May 29, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
Has anyone reported on the new photo booth at the depot, or is it just new?  The portable building sits on the other side of the FM entrance and appears to be set for selling photos of people on the train.  Are they taking this photo at the holdup, during the holdup, before the ride begins, or what?  Does it take time from the presentation?

I'm assuming this is sort of a test, since they could have built something more permanent during the off-season.  It's obviously a fork-lifted structure that doesn't belong there.

Also, how long have the vending machines sat center queue at Lost River?  They tried to mask two drink machines, but it's too hard to hide the fact that Coke machines do not belong in the 1880s.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #429 on: May 29, 2016, 03:14:19 PM »
Not sure about those. And yes the coke machines are a bit out of place. They could build something to hide them better or something.

Also something else I recently noticed was while at the top of the lift hill on Wildfire is I have noticed several of the log boats from American Plunge sitting off in the dirt in the back lot down the hill a bit. I first noticed them on founders weekend. Since going to the park the other day the number of them has increased and the other ones have been gutted for parts. So they are either sacrificing boats for parts or they are in the early stages of phasing out the ride.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2016, 05:04:48 PM »
Has anyone reported on the new photo booth at the depot, or is it just new?  The portable building sits on the other side of the FM entrance and appears to be set for selling photos of people on the train.  Are they taking this photo at the holdup, during the holdup, before the ride begins, or what?  Does it take time from the presentation?

I'm assuming this is sort of a test, since they could have built something more permanent during the off-season.  It's obviously a fork-lifted structure that doesn't belong there.

Also, how long have the vending machines sat center queue at Lost River?  They tried to mask two drink machines, but it's too hard to hide the fact that Coke machines do not belong in the 1880s.

I think they're just taking train photos "pre ride".  That's theonly time  I've seen them take pics.  And I believe the coke machines have been at the Lost River for years now.  I agree they could've themed them up some but i guess they were afraid they'd get missed if they did it too much.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 29, 2016, 05:52:29 PM »
Has anyone reported on the new photo booth at the depot, or is it just new?

In case you missed it:
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=3309.msg65503#msg65503

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 29, 2016, 06:28:01 PM »
Not sure about those. And yes the coke machines are a bit out of place. They could build something to hide them better or something.

Also something else I recently noticed was while at the top of the lift hill on Wildfire is I have noticed several of the log boats from American Plunge sitting off in the dirt in the back lot down the hill a bit. I first noticed them on founders weekend. Since going to the park the other day the number of them has increased and the other ones have been gutted for parts. So they are either sacrificing boats for parts or they are in the early stages of phasing out the ride.
Who knows about American plunge...it could be nothing.
What is certain is what they've allowed to happen to that ride is a shame. irresponsible shame. It's hard to believe the ptb still give a hoot when you look at what that once great ride has become.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2016, 06:34:34 PM »

What is certain is what they've allowed to happen to that ride is a shame. irresponsible shame. It's hard to believe the ptb still give a hoot when you look at what that once great ride has become.

It was my second favorite ride, Fire In The Hole being first, and I'd rather see it go away than decline any further than it's present state.  I loved the name of it, the entertainment, the tunnel, and the drop was enough of a thrill to keep me coming back.  *sadness*

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2016, 07:12:32 PM »

It was my second favorite ride, Fire In The Hole being first, and I'd rather see it go away than decline any further than it's present state.  I loved the name of it, the entertainment, the tunnel, and the drop was enough of a thrill to keep me coming back.  *sadness*
I refuse to believe it would be that hard to spruce up. it could easily be wonderful again.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.