Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 181379 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2015, 05:54:42 AM »
2017 will be resort announcement and all of 2017 will be spend highlighting the progress of the 2018 opening. And 2019 will be the "next big thing" to help fill the rooms.
I don't look to SDC opening a resort at this time.  I may be wrong but hotels like to stay around 90-95% capacity and with the shorter season in Branson that's just not in the numbers.  It also seems that Branson is still overbuilt in the hotel area.  If you juxtapose DW and SDC you would notice on a map that #1 DW is closer to the rest of Pigeon Forge than SDC is to Branson proper or just other attractions.
#2 DW SC is in the same parking lot so the resort can be centrally located between these offering a convenience that is tangible.  SDC and WW are not close to each other and even with a  tram to move guests to WW it would not be considered convenient.  As far as SDC is from town there must be more to draw you to the resort to stay  the night.  I used to stay at the BW in Branson West right behind the city and it was convenient but if you needed to go to Branson it was inconvenient, ultimately the Classic won out not only for price but for quick access to the malls, restaurants in Branson.   I don't see a resort as a good investment.  If WW was at the same location I could see the possibility but otherwise they don't have any convenience to sell with a resort.   

I also don't see a resort in the "near" future. 
There is already another resort being build on IP. that would be direct competition.  Would make more sense for the PTB to work with new resort and make "deals/packages" for their customers.
As MH said, HFE just does not own enough "attractions" in 1 area to justify that expense.... IF WW was relocated AND partially enclosed, IF SDC had a longer season? Maybe..   

With Branosn basically shutting down for 3 almost 4 months every year.. No, I don't see it..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
Just a clarification. SDC closes the last week of December and opens Mid-March. 
At most this is 8 weeks.  8 weeks would not make or break a resort and it would allow for major cleaning and renovations that normal hotels wouldn't be able to do elsewhere.

If Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point can make it with an even shorter season, I don't see the issue here.
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #212 on: August 05, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
If they did build a resort, they could build an indoor water park or maybe even a smaller indoor amusement park to draw people in during the off-season.  But, I don't think it is necessary for SDC to invest that much money into a resort when there are so many hotels and resorts at Indian Point for people who don't want to stay in Branson. The money is better spent elsewhere.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 05, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »
Just a clarification. SDC closes the last week of December and opens Mid-March. 
At most this is 8 weeks.  8 weeks would not make or break a resort and it would allow for major cleaning and renovations that normal hotels wouldn't be able to do elsewhere.

If Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point can make it with an even shorter season, I don't see the issue here.

Add an indoor waterpark and it's a moot point.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 05, 2015, 01:12:52 PM »
2017 will be resort announcement and all of 2017 will be spend highlighting the progress of the 2018 opening. And 2019 will be the "next big thing" to help fill the rooms.
I don't look to SDC opening a resort at this time.  I may be wrong but hotels like to stay around 90-95% capacity and with the shorter season in Branson that's just not in the numbers.  It also seems that Branson is still overbuilt in the hotel area.  If you juxtapose DW and SDC you would notice on a map that #1 DW is closer to the rest of Pigeon Forge than SDC is to Branson proper or just other attractions.
#2 DW SC is in the same parking lot so the resort can be centrally located between these offering a convenience that is tangible.  SDC and WW are not close to each other and even with a  tram to move guests to WW it would not be considered convenient.  As far as SDC is from town there must be more to draw you to the resort to stay  the night.  I used to stay at the BW in Branson West right behind the city and it was convenient but if you needed to go to Branson it was inconvenient, ultimately the Classic won out not only for price but for quick access to the malls, restaurants in Branson.   I don't see a resort as a good investment.  If WW was at the same location I could see the possibility but otherwise they don't have any convenience to sell with a resort.   

I also don't see a resort in the "near" future. 
There is already another resort being build on IP. that would be direct competition.  Would make more sense for the PTB to work with new resort and make "deals/packages" for their customers.
As MH said, HFE just does not own enough "attractions" in 1 area to justify that expense.... IF WW was relocated AND partially enclosed, IF SDC had a longer season? Maybe..   

With Branosn basically shutting down for 3 almost 4 months every year.. No, I don't see it..

You say Branson shuts down 3 to 4 months, well that's a bit misleading. In fact the few times the past few years we have stayed in Branson proper were in Jan and Feb to break cabin fever with an indoor pool. If places like the  Dells, Ohio, Poconos, Smokes  can operate year round,  that's on Branson.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 05, 2015, 05:01:31 PM »
Give a good discount during the winter months of you have a season pass and put in an indoor water park.  It would be fine.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 06, 2015, 07:32:08 AM »
I feel an indoor water park at SDC or really close to it would almost cheapen the experience. The short break is nice for workers. Its great for getting maintenance done. There just is no reason for one. Think about the many weeks they spend putting the Christmas lights up? And all of it must be down within that short period of time! The break is needed!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 06, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »
I feel an indoor water park at SDC or really close to it would almost cheapen the experience. The short break is nice for workers. Its great for getting maintenance done. There just is no reason for one. Think about the many weeks they spend putting the Christmas lights up? And all of it must be down within that short period of time! The break is needed!!!

What does an indoor waterpark have to do with taking down Christmas lights.

Explain have an indoor waterpark for guests of the hotel cheapens things especially one with the HFE touch. I'll hang up and listen.

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2015, 08:58:32 AM »
They put up Christmas lights with visitors in the park. They could take them down. And during that short break, the employees have to file for unemployment to get through. I'd hope they would rather work than "make do" with unemployment. (Just FYI -- almost the entire town of Branson goes on unemployment in Jan and Feb during that "break" most shows/attractions take.)

And if you think an indoor water park would cheapen the experience, you haven't been to Wisconsin Dells. We stayed at The Wilderness last year and there were 3 indoor water parks. They were amazing and made Great Wolf Lodge in KC and certainly Grand Country look tiny and cheap. Indoor water parks can be done well and keep interest going. Great Wolf in KC seems to do well year round. I'm sure they're slower in Jan/Feb but it probably all balances out.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
They put up Christmas lights with visitors in the park. They could take them down. And during that short break, the employees have to file for unemployment to get through. I'd hope they would rather work than "make do" with unemployment. (Just FYI -- almost the entire town of Branson goes on unemployment in Jan and Feb during that "break" most shows/attractions take.)

And if you think an indoor water park would cheapen the experience, you haven't been to Wisconsin Dells. We stayed at The Wilderness last year and there were 3 indoor water parks. They were amazing and made Great Wolf Lodge in KC and certainly Grand Country look tiny and cheap. Indoor water parks can be done well and keep interest going. Great Wolf in KC seems to do well year round. I'm sure they're slower in Jan/Feb but it probably all balances out.

If you consider offering 30% off rooms in slow periods of 200 buck rooms a bad thing.

The Great Wolf in KC is not as impressive as others.and it's way better than anything in Branson. The one in the Metroplex has a smallish wavepool and fetches a 3rd more a night and stupid rates at peak times, try to book a room between Christmas and New Years, 300 plus a night.

Some renderings of other

There  are dozens more. How something like those would cheapen anything is a headstratcher
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:14:09 PM by chittlins »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2015, 12:52:13 PM »
If I'm going somewhere in the winter it sure is not going to be Branson, MO. It will be a warm weather climate. Probably Mexico or somewhere in the Caribbean. I guess these indoor water parks have their  fanboys but its not for me. Not much of a fan of the onsite resort idea myself. Try as they might HFE and Branson will never be Disney. I would rather see the capital invested in the park itself.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2015, 01:49:51 PM »
There was a time, not too long ago, when Branson would shutter up for the winter in November. There was no Old Time Christmas, no Christmas shows in Branson, etc. Branson was essentially closed almost 5 months of the year. As it is now, only January and February are closed and the Christmas season is one of the most busy times of the year. They gave us a reason to come during those months and the people responded.

So, give us something to do in January and February and we'll come. Indoor waterparks, world class aquariums, family fun parks, etc.

Jay

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »
There was a time, not too long ago, when Branson would shutter up for the winter in November. There was no Old Time Christmas, no Christmas shows in Branson, etc. Branson was essentially closed almost 5 months of the year. As it is now, only January and February are closed and the Christmas season is one of the most busy times of the year. They gave us a reason to come during those months and the people responded.

So, give us something to do in January and February and we'll come. Indoor waterparks, world class aquariums, family fun parks, etc.

Jay

FEC? Like this?

I spy, go carts, ropes course, mini golf skee ball, ect, ect, ect....

As for Feb...

Case in point, my trip to Orlando this was the second week of Feb. Why? Many of the elementary schools in Fayetteville operate on the alternate, more of a year round schedule with several more breaks/ weeks off in between the shortened summer breaks. That was good news for us cause that's a slow period for Orlando. The on site resort rates were lower as well as the crowds and the weather worked out for a trip to Typhoon Lagoon with the heated water. In the year prior, it was spent in KC at Great Wolf and Lego Discovery/Sealife for an extended weekend.

Fayetteville isn't only district to have schools on this schedule either. Seems more and more are converting to it. This yearr Fayetteville made a  Middle School this schudule well due ro complaints from parents that had kid's in both schedules. Sadly,  not the one in our attendence zone. We had the option of sending or now middle schooler to the alternate schedule Middle School but it's across town and we are responsible for taking them as there is no bus service for those outside of it's zone.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:00:58 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2015, 04:04:30 PM »
Wow is this thread off track... maybe Shave / FM could split off posts so that we can get back to the point?  Some good stuff here, just don't know how it relates to 2016.

Guys I really don't think we will see much in 2016.  If I was a betting man, 2017 will be THE year.  But I'll talk about that in the correct thread.

====

2016.  If I had to guess, I would imagine we'll see more changes going on in Midtown and I am going to go out on a limb and predict that we see some changes in Grand Expo.  I have nothing to back either up, just gut hunches (and selfish reasons).
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »
2016.  If I had to guess, I would imagine we'll see more changes going on in Midtown and I am going to go out on a limb and predict that we see some changes in Grand Expo.  I have nothing to back either up, just gut hunches (and selfish reasons).

Getting something (anything) in Grand Expo would be a good thing I think. The last few trips we've made to SDC we never went back to that part of the park because there just isn't anything "new" or that "we have to ride" that draws us back there.

Jay