Author Topic: Branson Debates Diversification  (Read 24711 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Branson Debates Diversification
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »
There is a plan, or at least some ideas being kicked around for 76.

http://bransonspiritof76.com/

I would highly suggest bleacher seating at roundabout intersections, 1 buck per hr. watching bluehairs lose it. I've seen this first hand when Fayetteville put one in by the hospital. I love them and understand them but it's completely foreign to folks over 50. Some hate them so much that they avoid them. I know the one down by the landing is nice but that's not bluehair way.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »

I would highly suggest bleacher seating at roundabout intersections, 1 buck per hr. watching bluehairs lose it. I've seen this first hand when Fayetteville put one in by the hospital. I love them and understand them but it's completely foreign to folks over 50. Some hate them so much that they avoid them. I know the one down by the landing is nice but that's not bluehair way.

Hey, Im over 50 and have no trouble with roundabouts. They work great and are a great improvement over idling at a stoplight.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »
We have an intersection near our house that is being converted to a roundabout.  It will be the highest-trafficked roundabout in the state when completed in the fall.  We'll see if their MODOT's predictions are accurate about this being a good idea.  I shall reserve judgment.

I just can't get Chevy Chase out of my head:  "Look kids:  Big Ben, Parliament!"  (European Vacation).
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2014, 02:18:54 PM »

Hey, Im over 50 and have no trouble with roundabouts. They work great and are a great improvement over idling at a stoplight.

You are an exception, not the rule.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »

I think roundabout intersections work pretty good if you have one major roadway, with a minor roadway intersection. So basically your movements continue to flow properly. If you have a turning movement that is extremely heavy in one direction (like an on-ramp for a highway) the roundabouts can actually cause a bigger backup than the traffic light. So I think these would work okay for the minor intersections along 76 but would be nightmares at 76 and Indian Point Road, or 76 and Ozark Mountain High Road.

One other issue would be the size of the land it would take to make a roundabout work properly, so along the developed areas of 76, some businesses might have to be purchased for right-of-way purposes.

But if done properly and in the right locations, these definitely help with traffic flow and can serve as traffic calming measures too (plus if videoed they could provide some free entertainment).

Jay

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »

I think roundabout intersections work pretty good if you have one major roadway, with a minor roadway intersection. So basically your movements continue to flow properly. If you have a turning movement that is extremely heavy in one direction (like an on-ramp for a highway) the roundabouts can actually cause a bigger backup than the traffic light. So I think these would work okay for the minor intersections along 76 but would be nightmares at 76 and Indian Point Road, or 76 and Ozark Mountain High Road.

One other issue would be the size of the land it would take to make a roundabout work properly, so along the developed areas of 76, some businesses might have to be purchased for right-of-way purposes.

But if done properly and in the right locations, these definitely help with traffic flow and can serve as traffic calming measures too (plus if videoed they could provide some free entertainment).

Jay

The newest one in Fayetteville has a feeder from the interstate and it can get "interesting." The state nixed a proposed one at a heavy traffic intersection. The local Progs moaned loudly over that one.  I can see traffic circles being a bit adventurous where they are proposed and some land will have to be taking, maybe a business or two.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2014, 11:20:39 PM »

So, where does this stand right now? When I clicked on the project schedule it only went to December of 2013....what's going on with this?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."