Author Topic: Attendance 2014..  (Read 20561 times)

Graybeard

• View Profile
Re: Attendence 2014..
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
They are a privately held company and are not required to be as open with attendance and sales as a publicly traded company.

Hollwood

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
Thank you sir Swoosh. We might not always see eye to eye but I really hate it when people, outside of PR personnel, post attendance figures. It is important that those numbers stay internal only because the company wants them too. There is no other explanation nessissary.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
I was under the impression that you could get estimated attendance figures just by calling the park or asking any given park official who would know, but I've never actually tried. I know they have never actually published definitive yearly figures, but I haven't seen any indication outside of this thread that they would care about the unofficial daily figures. I'm sure things have changed since the downturn though...

I do understand at least a few of the worries concerning having too much of this information out there. A lot of potential competitors/investors like to cite published attendance figures from nearby attractions in their business plans and proposals.

I guess I should finally get a definitive answer on whether this thread is appropriate or not.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:27:47 PM by shavethewhales »

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2014, 04:37:06 PM »
Back in my days no guests asked about the figures. Nobody cared to ask, anyway. Hardest day was a 20,000 day, a hot summer day with a packed house. The park today sometimes gets over 25,000 per day...I was on park one such day last year. That is a big crowd. We had a chart hanging on a bulletin board with estimated attendance, used to staff at the appropriate level. Sometimes I looked at it to figure how hard we would get beaten each day...Saturdays always were worst. The PTB don't like the figures released...they consider it private info, and don't like competition to know many details, either.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »
Whenever we ask someone - store operators, tram drivers, etc. - they tell us the number.  It seems that it must be easily available on their computers.  That may help them in making determinations about the number of employees they need for the day.  Sometimes they will tell us they haven't heard yet, but they have never told us they weren't allowed to give us that information, and they have never told us that they didn't have access to it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2014, 06:12:18 PM »
Because knowledge in the amusement industry is money
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2014, 07:40:04 AM »
A few years back there was a phone number that could be called at any time from the " in house" phone system that would give you the number of guests on park.   I would not see why it is not still in operation.   Private business information should be respected however if they are doing well they should not be too upset.  After all people flock to where others are so the knowledge of popularity works for the park.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2014, 06:41:43 PM »
Hey all,

Thinking about taking a super nice family with us to SDC on the bring a friend passes (We needed 5 and had four).  We were going to take them Friday, but had a change of plans. 

Thinking about taking them Saturday, but since they don't get to go very often I didn't want to take them unknowingly during a mega crowd Saturday.  We haven't went on a Saturday in years and was wondering if anyone knows what to expect this Saturday Sept. 13?

thanks in advance!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2014, 07:28:03 PM »
opening weekend of Fall Festival? Sat? Cooler weather? sunny.?   

I would expect there to be several people there, wont be a record day.  But expect lots of people...

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2014, 07:52:10 PM »
Thanks Sand,

Really appreciate the heads up!  I was kind of figuring that to be the case, but....thought maybe school being back in would make it less of a Summer crowd. 

I really wish SDC hadn't been closed so much the first of September! 

Thanks again

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »
Opening weekend seemed to be a little weak, with only about 16-17,000 people there both days.

I am sure the PTB were hoping for more..

Sunday only had about 6100 people, I hope that is the count when I am there in 2 weeks.

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »
Any guess on the attendance the day before Thanksgiving?  Headed that way for a family SDC Thanksgiving.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2014, 10:13:55 PM »
Opening weekend seemed to be a little weak, with only about 16-17,000 people there both days.

I am sure the PTB were hoping for more..

Sunday only had about 6100 people, I hope that is the count when I am there in 2 weeks.

Halloween on a Friday plus lows in the 20s.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Attendance 2014..
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2014, 10:27:31 PM »
Kids hunt opening weekend
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Attendance 2014..
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2014, 06:42:04 AM »
that's right Swoosh,  and opening weekend for Quail and Pheasant is this weekend.