Author Topic: This attraction MUST GO!  (Read 12901 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
This attraction MUST GO!
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:51:39 AM »
If you were the guy in charge, and a decision had to be made as to the removal of one of the older attractions to prepare space for something new, what would you choose to remove, and why? FITH? AP? Train? Lost River? Flooded Mine? Tree House? Grandfather's Mansion? It is your choice, and you MUST decide this, even if it is an unpopular move with citizens and guests! GO...
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: This attraction MUST GO!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:07:12 AM »
Flooded mine. It just looks outdated and neglected. Replace it with another dark ride.

lindseytoni

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:49:53 AM »
I'd say the Tree House since it's already not being used, I guess.
It'd still be sad to not see it there.
But I think it's sadder walking past it and no one being able to use it.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
I'd have to say Treehouse for the same reason. I wish they would just fix it. I know it wouldn't meet ADA guidelines, but from someone who is affected by those guidelines - I just don't care!  I remember how fun it was and wish others could experience it as I did.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
American Plunge.  It's really just a shell of its former glory. It's been 2 different rides in its life, but now it's pretty boring. Riding it actually makes me sad.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
Def American Plunge! I'd still be sad though!  :-[
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »
Def American Plunge! I'd still be sad though!  :-[

Only if they improved it and could bring it back to its original glory. I use to lov the tunnel. There are so many easy fixes within the park that would make it great without changing original theming.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
You get rid of AP, you best have a new flume ride lined up cause it's a staple of any self respecting theme park. The new ones go forward, backwards and forward again along with the theming.  A flume is such a natural fit for a park like SDC as well. I've also Sen where Hefema has a whirlpool feature to it's new river rapids mine. Right now, I'd say flooded mine but only in a sense that it needs to be converted to a 4D type ride. I'm sure folks ride it it like we do but there is rarely a wait at all to ride.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 02:40:51 PM »
The guns at flooded mine need to go and they need some new animatronics. The AP needs a serious face life / remodel but I wouldn't get rid of either one. The waterboggan tower and treehouse would have to get my vote, since they no longer serve a purpose.

Hollwood

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »
I've also Sen where Hefema has a whirlpool feature to it's new river rapids mine.

Wild Adventures has one... And you DO NOT want it!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 05:40:27 PM »
WOW! I was surprised to see over a hundred people viewed this thread in the first 12 hours it was started! I guess I'd better chime in here on what I would do...I HATE to see any of the old things go, because, in my opinion, with some TLC and a relatively small amount of cash (when compared to the cost of the latest coaster) I think they all could be revamped and brought back up to par. The Tree House and AP and Flooded Mine probably need the most attention, the tree house would need a wheelchair ramp or themed elevator for ADA purposes, but if completely made over, it could be fantastic. If it came down to an actual decision, I'd guess I would have to say tree house. Since Jack's Sandwich Shop is also "lost" the PTB could revamp that small area with something of high impact. But, I'm old school all the way and would hate to see the restaurant building or the tree house demolished. Repurpose what is there, it could work OK. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
I'll agree with the treehouse but don't remove the ghost trap!  It was actually working this past weekend  :D  I'd vote for the Plunge but ONLY if they replace it with a better plunge.
I'm Your Huckleberry

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »
Another vote for the tree house for the aforementioned reasons. Although I'm not sure how that would really free up enough space for a new attraction. As for FM not having lines, I agree. And I love it. It's the one ride we know we can usually get on without a long wait. Now, on with my slightly off topic tangent: I understand the park needs people to make money. I understand the park wants rides and attractions that will attract more people, more money. However I don't get why they act like it's not ok unless every single square inch of the park isn't elbow to elbow with people and every ride has 400,000,000,000,000,000,000 people standing in line for it every second of every day of every month of the year. Increasing attendance is fine, to a point. Unless they are going to physically make the square footage (or acreage, whatever you choose to call it) bigger at some point they won't be able to fit any more people in there. One of the reasons I enjoy going is because I know when to go when it usually isn't crowded. If that ever stops and there are no "slow days", at that point I will quit going.

"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 08:07:30 PM »
I've also Sen where Hefema has a whirlpool feature to it's new river rapids mine.

Wild Adventures has one... And you DO NOT want it!

Fine by me, I like to one we have , short and sweet.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 11:34:55 PM »
Ah, Junior! This is like choosing which grandparent to send to the nursing home! :D

If I was forced to go with the options presented, and refurbishing was not available, I would go with the tree house. Simply because it is currently nothing more than scenery. Granted, it is scenery that I absolutely adore! But, I suppose I could go without it. If you must!