Author Topic: 2014 Schedule has posted, and there is a new Logo.  (Read 11991 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Schedule has posted, and there is a new Logo.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 10:28:20 PM »
History buff, as much as I like good ole rock and roll..... I agree with you.. No rock concert at the city..  just wouldn't be right... LOL..

Now maybe set up a stage out in the parking lot........ ;)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »
History buff, as much as I like good ole rock and roll..... I agree with you.. No rock concert at the city..  just wouldn't be right... LOL..

Yes, I totally agree.  Nothing against rock and roll (well, maybe some of it), it just does not belong within shouting distance of SDC.  I hope that's not the kind of "stars" they will be spangling at this festival; they already play the stuff at Midnight Madness, which I refuse to attend.  Many will, but I will not.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 03:50:59 PM »

Yes, I totally agree.  Nothing against rock and roll (well, maybe some of it), it just does not belong within shouting distance of SDC.  I hope that's not the kind of "stars" they will be spangling at this festival; they already play the stuff at Midnight Madness, which I refuse to attend.  Many will, but I will not.

Isn't it already being done with the contemporary christian rock in the spring? I just do not see a issue. We already have Southern Gospel which is way off theme and Gac Country nights is a loud high energy show that is off theme.
A separate ticket event you could choose to or not to attend.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »
I guess I'll play devils advocate here.  Many of us here are in an uproar about "no rock music at SDC", but when they take away the crafts (which is the main thing that sets SDC apart from the rest) and build another roller coaster, we have no problem with it and cast it off as "progress".  How many true craftsmen are left in the park?  Compare that to the...say....mid 70's or 80's or even the 90's.  I know, I know...many of you will say that they simply outlived their time.  I refuse to believe that.    This was (and still is) an 1880's theme park.  If the powers to be keep taking away what makes it unique to the 1880's, then we are simply left with a wooded Six Flags.  I must agree...I see NO place at SDC for rock and roll, but it also turns my stomach to lose the demonstrations.  Many argue that it is a matter of money.  Well, could be....maybe not.  Who knows for sure.  Think of it this way....how much money do they make with the teens and twenties crowd getting into the park, buying a couple of drinks, maybe lunch but spends the entire day waiting in line to ride one or two rides several times?  Compare that to an older couple that will basically do the same thing, plus purchase a few bars of soap, a broom, etc.  I believe if SDC would pay the craftsmen (and women) more of a wage where they don't depend so much on sales, the demonstrators could lower their prices and sell more goods.  Win...win.  SDC maintains the "GREAT PAST AHEAD OF YOU", demonstrators make more money, customers still get demonstrations AND cheaper wares.  Whether we like it or not, SDC is losing what made them truly unique.  I refuse to cast that off as progress.

I don't know, I just found it strange that it doesn't seem to bother us when they take away the good ol stuff to (God forbid) put up another rollercoaster.  Alright, stepping off soapbox now.   ;D

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 09:21:19 PM »
I guess I'll play devils advocate here.  Many of us here are in an uproar about "no rock music at SDC", but when they take away the crafts (which is the main thing that sets SDC apart from the rest) and build another roller coaster, we have no problem with it and cast it off as "progress".  How many true craftsmen are left in the park?  Compare that to the...say....mid 70's or 80's or even the 90's.  I know, I know...many of you will say that they simply outlived their time.  I refuse to believe that.    This was (and still is) an 1880's theme park.  If the powers to be keep taking away what makes it unique to the 1880's, then we are simply left with a wooded Six Flags.  I must agree...I see NO place at SDC for rock and roll, but it also turns my stomach to lose the demonstrations.  Many argue that it is a matter of money.  Well, could be....maybe not.  Who knows for sure.  Think of it this way....how much money do they make with the teens and twenties crowd getting into the park, buying a couple of drinks, maybe lunch but spends the entire day waiting in line to ride one or two rides several times?  Compare that to an older couple that will basically do the same thing, plus purchase a few bars of soap, a broom, etc.  I believe if SDC would pay the craftsmen (and women) more of a wage where they don't depend so much on sales, the demonstrators could lower their prices and sell more goods.  Win...win.  SDC maintains the "GREAT PAST AHEAD OF YOU", demonstrators make more money, customers still get demonstrations AND cheaper wares.  Whether we like it or not, SDC is losing what made them truly unique.  I refuse to cast that off as progress.

I don't know, I just found it strange that it doesn't seem to bother us when they take away the good ol stuff to (God forbid) put up another rollercoaster.  Alright, stepping off soapbox now.   ;D
Actually, I think it's well documented that many of us here lament the demise of the demonstrations, roaming characters, and the shows with corny Ozark humor.  I can still enjoy and appreciate a well-themed ride attraction, but it must be balanced with things that appeal to the older members of the family, as well.  Otherwise, parents and grandparents just drop off their kids or grandkids, rather than pay admission and go in with them.  A couple of paintings, a piece of pottery here or there, a blown glass item delivered to the front, or a knife shipped home - these are the icing on the cake.  Most SDCFans long for a time when we can be passing by a true Ozark craft being demonstrated and just stop for a couple of minutes to watch and listen.  Even when I was a kid, I found those things - lye soap, basket weavers, carvers, blacksmithing, et al - fascinating.  Kids today would also be interested in those things if they were there and entertaining enough.

That said, we should probably keep this thread on topic and move further comments to the "lye soap" thread for now.  I only brought up the idea of rock concerts on speculation that the PTB have experience with booking such concerts at "sister" parks like Wild Adventures.

Runner, I'm not saying those concerts are any more in line with the theme.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 02:08:46 AM »
Well I must agree with NO ROCK MUSIC in our SDC park.   As far as the GAC shows or even the Gospel shows. Realize this. This park is supposed to reminese back to the 1880s. Back then Christianity was a major factor in the good ol USA. Gospel music was a bit different back then. Just like Rock N Roll was different in the 50s (rock music in its infancy) than it is today for sure. So is Country music much different.

Also realize that rock music is considered to be (how do I say this) -- I guess not a very "moral" music.  Here at SDC they still have the gumption to mention "Jesus" and the purpose he served. Gospel music reinforces that. Country music doesnt really reinforce that, but doesnt really deny it (well some modern day country just might).
Now "right-or-wrong" a lot of folks seem to think that Rock music (at least in some way) doesnt really honor God at all. -- I guess that is about as close to preaching as one should on these forums.

But I feel (Yes I said I THINK-just me) that having rock music in a place that still declares Jesus would be an oxymoron

OH BTW-I do agree with Dewey Balds post. Very well spoken.

Lets bring the rock concerts to the Grand Palace!!
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »
Both of my kids - twenty something and a thirty something were in the park recently.  Both of them noticed changes without me pointing them out.  They both liked the new rides - OR, Riverblast, Powder Keg (they haven't been to the park in awhile as both of them live out of state, but they also stated that it doesn't look like it used to look.  My daughter wanted to buy a broom for her mother-in-law but no broom shop.  I suggested a pottery bowl for son's girlfriend's mother.  We were able to find that.  What was interesting was that they both noticed there were fewer craftsmen in the park.  We started talking about the changes, and both of them thought the changes were going to lead to a downward spiral away from the 1880's theme.  I asked them if they would keep visiting the park and both of them thought that they wouldn't come back if it changes too much because they want to remember the way it was as kids - as an 1880's town.  I just found that interesting - from a twenty and a thirty something.  Oh, and they both noticed the amount of "junk" merchandise for sale.   

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »
I just found that interesting - from a twenty and a thirty something.  Oh, and they both noticed the amount of "junk" merchandise for sale.   

As a 26 yearold myself, I have to chime in and AGREE completely.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »
Also, could this new "Americana" theme for the summer festival mean that we might get a nice revamp of the American Plunge??  ::)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
We can do it together  ;D

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
I hate to see craftsman falling to the wayside. Its dang depressing. As for the Christian weekend (which I am thankful they have) the music is loud. There was one group that was over by the rib house and they were SCREAMING the music. It was uncalled for. Just not good stuff at all. YCW is not something we will attend again. Too loud, too crowded. I would also hate to see the music veering off from gospel, country, bluegrass. SDC isn't about the next biggest rock star. Its about families being together and enjoying a good wholesome environment. I miss the corny street performers and politically incorrect humor. Its nice to have new attractions I do admit, but is it worth the cost of the roots we are loosing?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
I agree that even oldies rock & roll would be out of place -- but guess what? So is Southern Gospel. It's no more in theme to 1880's Ozarks than Sha-Na-Na would be.

Period hymns, shape note acapella, acoustic instrumental... that's great, even if it's church music, because that's period. But, we can't give a pass to gospel just because it's Christian. It's either in theme, or it's not.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »
I agree that even oldies rock & roll would be out of place -- but guess what? So is Southern Gospel. It's no more in theme to 1880's Ozarks than Sha-Na-Na would be.

Period hymns, shape note acapella, acoustic instrumental... that's great, even if it's church music, because that's period. But, we can't give a pass to gospel just because it's Christian. It's either in theme, or it's not.

Completely agree.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
It's either in theme, or it's not.
Maybe we can look forward to some Allison Krauss and the Union station or something along those lines.
If the PTB are moving bands through the other parks maybe they think its about time to get SDC in on the action.  How many does Echo Hollow hold?  I remember concerts there in the past at the end of the day to stand in for the normal show.  Maybe that's the plan.  Regardless it seems that there is a great " No - Rock" movement here.  I understand that the park folks read the blog so I bet they are getting the message.

Hollwood

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
Echo Hollow holds 4,000 comfortably, standing room you can get upwards of 4,500. We all have to remember why the Grand Palace did not survive... Too big for small groups, and too small for big groups. That being said, what if Silver Dollar City brings in, let's say, Luke Bryant? Luke can pack out a 40,000 seat stadium, and the stadium can charge $100+ for good seats, and $40+ for crappy ones. Even if Luke charges $125,000 (on the cheap end), the stadium made A LOT of money (not to mention $10 beers). If Silver Dollar City only holds 25,000 people, and the venue only holds 4,500... And the only revenue would be a limited amount of Show Lovers, and $4 Cokes, then the park would loose money. I guess what I am saying is that there are not a lot of performers that fit the Echo Hollow bill. If Silver Dollar City brings in bigger names, they are going to have to charge per seat, then we will have to hear more complaints about how times are changing...