Author Topic: 2014 Schedule has posted, and there is a new Logo.  (Read 11992 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Schedule has posted, and there is a new Logo.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 10:23:14 PM »
Echo Hollow holds 4,000 comfortably, standing room you can get upwards of 4,500. We all have to remember why the Grand Palace did not survive... Too big for small groups, and too small for big groups. That being said, what if Silver Dollar City brings in, let's say, Luke Bryant? Luke can pack out a 40,000 seat stadium, and the stadium can charge $100+ for good seats, and $40+ for crappy ones. Even if Luke charges $125,000 (on the cheap end), the stadium made A LOT of money (not to mention $10 beers). If Silver Dollar City only holds 25,000 people, and the venue only holds 4,500... And the only revenue would be a limited amount of Show Lovers, and $4 Cokes, then the park would loose money. I guess what I am saying is that there are not a lot of performers that fit the Echo Hollow bill. If Silver Dollar City brings in bigger names, they are going to have to charge per seat, then we will have to hear more complaints about how times are changing...

The sightlines and size of echo hollow are similar to Mud Island just slightly smaller, The Band Perry played Downstream last month.  Now, the problem with bringing in a "name star" on a sat is that you'll have too many wanting in. Now, if you want to boost midweek attendance, that's a thought. whatever you do, it would have to be an upcharge this isn't Magic Springs. If you're not a season pass holder, you get the admission plus the upcharge for a reserved seat. I've seen Allison Krauss and Union Station at the Auditorium in Eureka before. Robert Plant play a blanking Botanical Garden in Memphis for 4,000. Most of those seats sold a in season package for a reasonable price where you bring your own food and drink. You'd be shocked at the names that could only fill a 4,000 venue.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 11:54:06 PM »
Well on those lines. SFSL has been charging an additional fee (or I should say "selling reserved seat tickets") to all the concerts in the Old Glory Ampitheatre for a few years now. The problem there (or maybe its a good thing who knows) is that "usually" tickets are sold on the morning of---thats it.  Of course you can "win" tickets several weeks early on various radio stations.  More times than not, the tickets are given out weeks before show day, then all thats left is standing room (that must be purchased after park opening).

Im not completely against purchasing tickets for special venues in Echo Hollow.

The hard part in SDC venues/rides/shows/ETC is keeping in theme. The "THEME" of the American people is changing "way too much" everyday. (Maybe not for the good either "just sayin") It is going to be an overwhelming challenge to stay in the 1800s. I think the PTB has done a very good job so far. But as mentioned-they are falling off a bit as of late.

I think "even if the new comings" fall off the 1800s theme by a stretch even, will still fit the bill OK as long as the citizens remain the same friendly bunch of folks they are now. That is the number 1 most important. Next PLEASE keep a fair amount of shows, shops, and GOOD food venues along with the rides that seem to be overtaking now.

In other words lets not turn SDC into a "RIDES" park (kinda like Six Flags Parks).  I mean even if SDC goes from a "theme" park to an "amusement" park, might still be OK as long as there is a wide variety of things to "AMUSE" the vast majority of ages, and desires. I understand you can not possibly please everyone, but a good variety of things will still draw "families" to the park (I FEEL). 

Of course Id rather SDC stay very close to where it is now, Im just saying "WHAT IF" basically.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:02:02 AM by qwed94 »
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 09:49:16 AM »
Many of us here are in an uproar about "no rock music at SDC", but when they take away the crafts (which is the main thing that sets SDC apart from the rest) and build another roller coaster, we have no problem with it and cast it off as "progress". 

I have been lamenting the loss of the crafts for awhile now.
We need more shows, more crafts, and only open a new ride every five years or so would be fine by me, but I guess I am in the minority these days  :'( Some believe that with modern society and the need for immediate gratification, that no one will take up these crafts and fill the void. I just wish the PTB would listen to those of us that want to keep SDC from becoming just another amusement park.
As for the gospel music, it is not in theme, However it has been a part of SDC from the beginning, to take it away now is nothing but bowing to political correctness, and I will never be accused of that.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »
I suppose I have begun to look at SDC differently recently.  Now, I imagine that we are visitors to a City that has been transported from the 1880s to the present.  In that City, we encounter modern amenities, performers, and "citizens".  Sometimes I have to look hard to find the parts that are original to the 1880s town by looking beyond the parts that are 21st Century.  It has become more like a melding of the two.

Along those lines, while I want things to stay in theme, what I'm having to settle for is for things to stay in the spirit of the theme.  So now I can allow electric Christmas lights, electric guitars, and appropriately-phrased modern country music, but I cannot excuse One Direction and Adele being cranked through the fake rocks, I cannot see beyond the neon booty shorts, and I don't want to see NASCAR or video arcades.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
We need Mrs. Mary to straighten everything out, and put everything back in line! :)

While I do feel that KidsFest has ran its course a bit, I am not sure how I feel about the replacement choice. The patriotic theme will fit well during the July 4th weekend, but what other festivities will it generate? Does this also mean the end of Sponge Bob Sqaure Pants, and Veggietales, and other shenanigans they had for KidsFest? Not that I am complaining about that! :P

However, it does seem like Silver Dollar City is going through an identity crisis.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
This stuff wouldn't have happened in Miss Mary's Time (had to beat ya to it Junior)  :P

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
Ha! ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"