Author Topic: What is theming a ride  (Read 10092 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
What is theming a ride
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
So there seems to be a lot of discussion on theming rides lately. I thought I would give my opinion and see how others feel about it in a new discussion.

I really do not think SDC does much with theming anything. Look at outlaw run for example. They put some elements in the line and made a depot, but the ride has zero theming. Same for wildfire. PK has a little more because of the launch. Now you really cannot theme a roller coaster much, but if you look at Disney they themed Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain throughout the rides. To me that is putting a theme in the rides not just some outdoor cosmetics. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: What is theming a ride
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
OR is supposed to be a runaway stagecoach, and the painting/design is supposed to duplicate that of an old stagecoach.

PK is based on the explosive component, saltpeter, which is used in the development of black powder.  Saltpeter is mined from bat guano which is mined from Marvel and other caves.

Thunderation is a mining train.

Wildfire is the biggest stretch in theming, using a fictional character to "invent" a new fuel.

They all work for the purpose of SDC's purposes.  I can't imagine they will build a mountain for any of their coasters to sail through, though it would make for some great iconic photos.  Besides, it's more in theme for the tracks to hug the natural shape of the Ozarkian hills.

I would love to take a tour through the park with the PTB and give them an extensive list of ideas for more intensive theming throughout.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »
Theming is that which changes a basic ride or park into a full-bodied experience. True, a lot of SDC's coasters don't fly through sets like the Disney rides, but Disney is a tough level to meet. It would be awesome if they started playing more with that, and in fact HFEC sort of has with Mystery Mine, but it just isn't expected of them because coasters fly through their courses so quickly that it isn't worth the cost. Most regional parks just put up a basic open-air station for their rides and in some cases the track is slapped on top of a former parking lot. Compared to that SDC certainly does an exceptional job.

Look at some of the other recent rides: TGS revolutionized the way people look at Screamin' Swings, and River Blast is very intricately themed. The theming of these rides really contributes to the experience because patrons spend enough time near it to actually enjoy it.

Once upon a time the park was more or less keeping pace with Disney. I'd love to see them try to do that again, but in the meantime I'm more or less satisfied with their efforts. They've certainly done better than their closest competitors at least.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »
Ditto to what Shave says. He's on the money with this.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Hollwood

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
Speaking of money, did you know that Everest, at Animal Kingdom, is the worlds most expensive ride? It clocks in at a little over $100,000,000. $8,000,000of that is coaster related, the rest is theming! Just to put it into perspective, that one ride cost more than all of the current rides as SDC combined. TNT:7 WF:14 PK:10 OR:10 GE:8 GS:7 RB:8 AP,FM,LR,FITH,GG,FSDL:25-30? All added up that is roughly $94,000,000!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
The main square, the stores, the different areas of the park (riverfront, hill street, and whatever that area by the blacksmith shop is called) all have theming. It takes quite a bit of theme to create an 1880s mining town and have the theme be fairly consistent throughout. Even GE with its cheezy out of theme rides is supposed to be like a turn of the century World's fair. Wish they would have themed those rides. Lose the elephants, etc. But SDC has always at least attempted to stick to a theme

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
Even GE with its cheezy out of theme rides is supposed to be like a turn of the century World's fair. Wish they would have themed those rides. Lose the elephants, etc. But SDC has always at least attempted to stick to a theme

There is nothing cheesy about the GE theme.  It is consistent with what it supposed to be.  Read my post in the 2014 project thread for more explanation
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »
The rides, such as Outlaw Run, stick with the theme of an 1880 Ozark Frontier Village.  That's why so many of us don't like the idea of airplanes in a new concept of Geyser Gulch.  GE is a representation from the Philadephia Expo from 1876.  Sure Wildfire is a bit of a stretch but a fun one!  And there were many inventions going on during that time period.  If SDC is going to go with a "flying machine" ride then I'd much rather see Wildfire than airplanes!  That's important to me.  Hope you're feeling better Runner1960.
I'm Your Huckleberry

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »
There is nothing cheesy about the GE theme.  It is consistent with what it supposed to be.  Read my post in the 2014 project thread for more explanation

So your saying that the flying elephants are not a blatant rip off of Disney?

Hollwood

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »
Elephants are the "off the shelf" version of that ride from Zamperla. Custom themes include the flying carpets, and dinosaurs inside Disney.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
I haven't done research on this, but I suspect there may have been elephant round-and-round rides before Disney's version with Dumbo.  Still, I would like to have seen a more unique version at SDC.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
smh.  Really guys? 
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
How/When did SDC get connected to Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn?  My childhood visits predated them.  I have never understood how they are supposed to related to the 1880s Ozarks.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
It is a stretch, but SDC has had a Finn connection for quite a while with the treehouse and climbing nets in the Riverside area.  It's more of a Missouri connection than an Ozarks one.  SDC has stretched it even further by placing the characters on the White River.