Author Topic: What is theming a ride  (Read 10090 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: What is theming a ride
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »
Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn...it is more of a Missouri thing. The Ozarks, to some degree, also depended on the Mississippi River. Steamboats during high water would come off the Mississippi, and go up the Arkansas to the White River, and all the way to Forsyth!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 07:56:12 PM »
I just don't think it's realistic for any non-Disney park to build something to the level of Big Thunder Mountain or Everest.  As stated the cost is prohibitive and I don't think it makes that much of a difference for most guests.  Non-coaster rides?  Absolutely.  Theme 'em to the hilt.  Go nuts.  But when you're hurtling down a drop or going through a loop, are you really going to focus your attention on the themed object that's only in your line of sight for a few seconds, or what's coming up ahead?  If Silver Dollar City themed it's coasters like that, there would be perhaps one coaster that wasn't Fire in the Hole (although I'm sure some people would be ok with that).

I think they do a fine job for the type of park that they are.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
I agree that it is not necessary for SDC to spend out the $$$ to theme their roller coasters more than they do. But like  ThemeParkFan just said, other rides should be heavily themed. Like we have all said a hundred times over, FITH/AP/FM all need some love and could use some better theming.
One thing I would like SDC to take from Disney is the Omni-mover style rides. I have always wanted to see a heavily-themed completed immersive Omni-mover built at SDC.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
I don't question the Missouri connection for Twain's characters but the ERA.  By 1884 (this season), both boys would have been middle-aged men, about my current age.   ;D

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »
I don't question the Missouri connection for Twain's characters but the ERA.  By 1884 (this season), both boys would have been middle-aged men, about my current age.   ;D

But what about the Hatfields and mccoys who are original to Kentucky and West Virginia?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »
Well, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was published in 1876 and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was published in 1885 in the US (1884 in the UK), so I imagine that they're basing the connection on the general time period of the publication of the books rather than the time period represented within the books.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
In Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, we see the Grangerford/Sheperdson feud, which was patterned from the actual Darnell/Watson feud, in fact fought in the Mississippi River bottoms on the TN/KY border.

Joy may be right about the publication dates being the more influential.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
I'm sure the Hatfield/McCoy thing dates back to the 1960's when hillbillies, Hatfield/McCoy, were popular in culture. Remember, prior to a strict adherence to Ozarks culture, the park was a "frontier town" with a sign on the general store that stated they had "supplies for wagon trains heading west," and early special guests to the park as added attractions were from TV westerns of the day. I think Gabby Hayes was featured at one time, I think cast members from "Wagon Train" TV show were there, too.
--
In regards to the Huck/Tom thing, it previously was stated by another that they are part of Missouri history/folklore/literature and more than likely shooting for a general time period thing there that is still recognizable by today's audience.

"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
Speaking of Disney theming. The theming on the new Snow White and the 7 dwarves mine triangle coaster is amazing. It's complete with a faux rock bed under the tracks

If a park like SDC ever went to that much detail I would think it would be part of a complex that had multiple attractions sharing the same super structure like a coaster and flume ride with a flat or two that took advantage of the same back drop.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:36:15 AM by chittlins »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »
Much better than a cement box to float through!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »
Disney does things right, but they also have the moolah to work with. I sure wish every theme park attraction had the detail that Disney does. Also, they do not let things deteriorate like other places. If it has a feature when it is built it is usually there 20 years later.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »
Much better than a cement box to float through!

If they ever redo American Plunge(concrete tunnel I think you are referring to) with features found on newer ones, I'd hope they consider adding a bobsled type coaster to interact and share the footprint and use some of the same theming elements and working the waterfall in with the coaster.

Here's another photo of the detail of the ties and rail bed