Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 104324 times)

sawblade5

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »
Has anyone got any pictures of the new Outlaw Run train lap bars and seat belts yet? I heard from a park goer posting on the official SDC Facebook pagr about it but no pic.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2014, 11:23:12 AM »
So since they had a space left from the old kettle corn location they decided to put a game there? ??? SDC, I love you, but please no. :(

The new waterwheel looks nice. IIRC the old one was in pretty bad shape.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
The waterwheel was actually re-done last year. I remember taking note of it in late November.

sdcfan60

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »
Does anyone know if they are refilling the buckets for the kettle corn? They sold them a few years ago,and you could get refills for 2 dollars.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »
Why do you think SDC is going with the Americana theme this year?  I don't remember a year long theme happening in the past, other than to mark their anniversary.  Do you think it's to promote something big coming in the future? I just wonder what the thinking is behind the plan.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »
Why do you think SDC is going with the Americana theme this year?  I don't remember a year long theme happening in the past, other than to mark their anniversary.  Do you think it's to promote something big coming in the future? I just wonder what the thinking is behind the plan.

It has been discussed before on here, but a lot of people are just not getting the tie in to the Bicentennial of 1976. Not sure where they are going with it.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
Has anyone got any pictures of the new Outlaw Run train lap bars and seat belts yet? I heard from a park goer posting on the official SDC Facebook pagr about it but no pic.

Got some pics.  I'll try to get 'em up here soon.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
Normally I try to avoid nit-picking the newer thematic developments in the park. I'm normally happy if they at least keep putting some effort into the park's atmosphere and character.

That new carnival game is just tacky. It's the kind of thing that's hard to wrap your head around when you think about their operations from a business perspective. How much value did they take away from the park experience for the little bit of pocket change that game will make? If they keep making additions like this, it'll be hard to keep convincing people that SDC is the kind of place that can reasonably demand the kind of ticket prices they do... I think this kind of thing is more damaging to the park than the PTB think, at least its tucked away for now. What went in by TGS?

I only noticed, besides that awful Hi-Striker thing (which was still not operating), one other carnival game.  It was between the existing game and TGS, tucked in on the same hillside as the existing game - across from the Lost River.  It was not any more of a distraction than the other one, but I still hate to see things going in that direction.  BTW, I only saw one kid play ANY of the games all day - the rest of the time, those employees stood idle.

sawblade5

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »
I have got lost on this topic on 2 acronyms. They are PTB and TGS. It's making it hard to read the topic when I don't know what those are. Please tell me what these 2 are so I can understand certain posts here. Pretty Please!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »
Powers That Be

The Giant Swing

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
The new restraint bars look like a saddle to me.  It actually enhances the look of Outlaw Run vehicles.  Several people were upset, last week, when they were asked to bypass the ride because they were too large.  Fortunately, this only pertains to the largest of the riders.  Loading took quite a while, as reported, due to the complexity of the restraints and the cautious ride operators.  They checked a number of times, and I had to lift my jacket to ensure the lap bar was in full contact with my thighs.  Pictures are below.

I noticed the back of the vehicle was open on each of the ones that were operating, revealing the inner workings and the bottoms and backs of the rear seats.  It seemed incomplete and was screaming for a back cover panel.  Is there normally a cover back there?  If so, why were they running without it?

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2014, 07:44:25 AM »

this is last years shin bars. If you take a straight line from the center of the round mounts from side to side, it looks like there just a little more room besides the contoured form.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2014, 08:00:09 AM »
agreed.  looking at the pics..  (good pics), appears there is less curvature on the upright arms holding the cross bars...

should make a big difference for bigger people getting in..

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »
So they took my advice and added a seatbelt  ;)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2014, 06:35:34 PM »
Did anyone already point out the new saloon show? I wasn't paying attention, but here it is for the rest of us: http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/attractions/shows-entertainment/The-Return-of-Carrie-Nation.aspx

Sounds like a good one. I know they've been changing up the saloon show over the past few years, but it felt like they were running out of ideas with the old format, so hopefully this will re-energize things.