Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 103619 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2014 Project
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »
they should bring back the balloons and take out one of the little kiddie things from GE

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
^I think at this point there's enough demand for more kid's rides, not less. As for the balloons, I've heard that the old ride has been left to rot and probably won't operate again. It's been sitting in a back lot unprotected all this time. I believe you can see it if you know where to look when driving past. It's more likely that they would buy a similar ride brand new from Zamperla. They still make a Balloon Chase model ride, which may actually be the same model as the old one. Does anyone know for sure? I thought SDC's version was made by Chance, but I always confuse these details.

Hollwood

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2013, 04:34:08 PM »
SDC's was a Zamperla, but it was custom made. The "off the shelf" version can be found at almost every "Camp Snoopy" or "Toon Town." They look to plastic for SDC so I hope Zamperla can duplicate if they decide to go that route. SDC still has a fiberglass shop at M&C, so the balloons themselves are salvageable. All that would need to be replaced is the drive tower, wich can be seen from 76.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »
^I think at this point there's enough demand for more kid's rides, not less. As for the balloons, I've heard that the old ride has been left to rot and probably won't operate again. It's been sitting in a back lot unprotected all this time. I believe you can see it if you know where to look when driving past.

Unless they moved them somewhere else on the lot, they were not in their "spot" the last time I drove by.  Take that for what it is worth...
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
When it comes down to it, what difference is there in the balloon ride and and any other turning/flying ride?  These rides just don't have the true nostalgic appeal of, say, a diving bell or a flooded mine, and they don't have the thrill factor of a roller coaster or a giant swing.  I can pretty much drive in circles on the top level of a parking garage and receive the same effect.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2013, 09:40:17 PM »
"spinning rides" add movement to a "dead" section of the park.  It is amazing how much life even one moving attraction can add
SWOOSH

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2013, 08:47:39 AM »
I agree with more kids rides. The twins are finally tall enough to rude pretty much anything, but Anna is only 18 months old.  The ladybugs bore her.  I'm not even sure a what the point of having that ride is. I see many 45 minute wait times for the frogs in the near future. 

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »
When it comes down to it, what difference is there in the balloon ride and and any other turning/flying ride?  These rides just don't have the true nostalgic appeal of, say, a diving bell or a flooded mine, and they don't have the thrill factor of a roller coaster or a giant swing.  I can pretty much drive in circles on the top level of a parking garage and receive the same effect.

For me it is all about the nostalgia! I grew up as an early 90's kid, and the Balloon Ride was my favorite! Sure, it's just a ride that spins around in a circle. Sure, it's not much different than the Dumbo ride at Disney World. But, as a kid I thought it was really neat, and there is a nostalgic side of me that would love for the newer generation of kids to experience such a simple thrill. Plus, if Silver Dollar City plans on doing some renovations, they might as well bring it back anyway. :)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
Nostalgia. Purely Nostalgia. We rode those baloons when we were kids and wish that our kids could ride em too

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »
Ah, now you know how I feel about the tree house, stagecoach, float trip, diving bell, rainmaker, and other "lost" rides and attractions! ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »
Nostalgia. Purely Nostalgia. We rode those baloons when we were kids and wish that our kids could ride em too

Exactly! The balloons weren't really in-theme anyway, but the nostalgia of that particular ride is what I'm attracted to.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Hollwood

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »
Not in theme? Tom and Huck is a story about exploring... Hot air balloons fit theme perfectly! Just as River Blast is today!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2013, 08:15:41 PM »
Want them to be more interesting?  Install them in the cathedral room of Marvel Cave to commemorate the hot air balloons that have been launched there.  Now THAT would be interesting.

Junior, I agree:  those were the nostalgic times, when creativity trumped cookie cutter rides and attractions.  That's all I ask for...well, maybe not ALL, but you get the idea.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »

Exactly! The balloons weren't really in-theme anyway, but the nostalgia of that particular ride is what I'm attracted to.

Heh, sometimes I think we are too rigid on what constitutes "in-theme" at SDC. There's a certain amount of kitsch involved. SDC came close at times to being a true frontier town, but there's always been an edge to it, and the balloons fit within that to some degree. I mean, hot air balloons have been around since 1800 at least. Obviously they wouldn't be flying around a little Ozark town, but that's where the kitsch aspect comes in.

As for History Buff's comments, I think at this point it has to be conceded that there will be an increasing number of off-the-shelf flat rides installed around the park. At one point, even the balloon ride was kind of a sore thumb for the park's ambiance, but if it were still there now I don't think it would clash nearly as much. We talk every other week about how the park is changing in that aspect, but I still say that there's a right way to do it that keeps the SDC spirit more or less in tact while giving the current market what it wants. Look at TGS for example - a revolutionary (at the time) level of theming for a simple S&S screamin' swing, with a whole area full of interesting little perks around it. It's all about putting these rides into a 'place' instead of just a bunch of rides.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »
I believe the balloon ride was inspired by Tom Sawyer Abroad, in which the characters travel the world in a hot air balloon. The Wil Vinton claymation "The Adventures of Mark Twain" was based around that book. Excellent film, BTW. It's on Netflix streaming, if you ever wanna check it out. It's what raised me on Twain stories as a child in California.