Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 103642 times)

ttroyer210

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2014 Project
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 11:43:22 PM »
It's also a great way to get park hours extended with a fireworks show :).
Fire In The Hole!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 11:50:01 PM »
Forgive me for being blunt, but you've got to be kidding!  A fireworks factory is really not any different from the explosive theme of PK - where, btw, the shot tower could easily be installed.  Take out GG?  Definitely!  But that's not what this is.  It looks like they want to use the current structure and just color it up with brighter, up-to-date color scheme.

A few other ramblings:
Yes, on a well-done dark ride!
Yes, on more craftsmen - I saw more at Disney in one day than at SDC in years.
Yes, on upgrades to all the longer queues - make them interactive and entertaining.
Yes, on an additional indoor show venue - with shows like the ones that used to be in the Riverfront Playhouse.
Yes, on more roaming citizens - and random mini-shows, not listed on the Pathfinder
Yes, on undoing the Shootout at the FM
Yes, on rebooting the AP - it is currently ridiculous.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
Geyser Gulch really isn't charming now, so not sure what you are getting at Shave.  This is a remake of GG.  Some of the buildings would stay while others leave.  Let's not kid ourselves,  GG has not been the same every since Splash Harbor left. 

As far as "concepts" go - they have been pretty accurate with the past few ones.  River Blast looks a lot like the concept as did Half Dollar Holler and a lot of Outlaw Run.  I guess we'll see.

That's true on both points, but I feel like GG at least had some influence from the original Herschend themes, even if they faded quickly. A fireworks factory would just be way out of left field, and throwing Doc Harris's name in there doesn't help that much. Like I've said though, there's a right way to do it and I know the folks behind SDC could do a great job with this. I just want to see them keep putting effort into making the park cohesive and immersive rather than throwing rides down. That's a point we make every time a new concept is announced, but this time feels like it's even more pertinent to restate since they're looking at refurbishing an area instead of making a brand new one off the park somewhere.  

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 12:03:49 AM »
It's also a great way to get park hours extended with a fireworks show :).
That's the rumor anyways, more extended hours for summer next year. Think they see this as a way to peddle more two day visits via After a certain time , next day free promo they do. Milk the concession money from the visitor teet. ;D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 12:15:56 AM »
Forgive me for being blunt, but you've got to be kidding!  A fireworks factory is really not any different from the explosive theme of PK - where, btw, the shot tower could easily be installed.  Take out GG?  Definitely!  But that's not what this is.  It looks like they want to use the current structure and just color it up with brighter, up-to-date color scheme.

Whoa, HB is back in town!  :D

If they made the fireworks from bat guano I'd be satisfied enough with it - at least it plays into the rest of the park that way.

The structure will be re-done of course, but what I'm watching for is the placement and integration of the five family rides they spoke of. If it's done like Plopsaland or even Disney it will be awesome, but if for some reason it clashed the whole lakefront would be effected, just like it was with GG. This is certainly a great opportunity to get it right.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »
Thanks for the notice, Shave!  I need to starting getting in here again, to stay connected with all the important people.

Hollwood

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 06:55:12 AM »
Seems to be inline with DL renovation of their boardwalk.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 08:27:57 AM »
Not sure which side of the fence I come down on about the theme, BUT I agree that GG needs something. It was looking pretty sad the last few times we visited. I would be very happy to see the Balloons make a comeback in the park.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »
Not sure which side of the fence I come down on about the theme, BUT I agree that GG needs something. It was looking pretty sad the last few times we visited. I would be very happy to see the Balloons make a comeback in the park.

I agree with Shave that the theming will be key. It doesn't need to look like a giant Fisher Price play set like it currently does. Besides making the structure period appropriate the colorful firework props themsleves would stand out more. What in Zamperla's ride catalog do we not have yet that spins and could be themed. An surface comes to mind with rockets instead of planes. They certainly make a spinning wild mouse. Does a smaller Ferris wheel fit the spinning criteria?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
I would be very happy to see the Balloons make a comeback in the park.

Long live the balloons! ;D
Geyser Gulch has always seemed a bit corky to me, but I often see an abundance of kids with smiling faces so it must be doing something right. However, a good revamp would probably do it wonders.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
History Buff...glad to see you commenting again! I'm OK for having a revamped balloon ride back. The comments about more roaming characters and line entertainment warms my heart...if I were to go back to SDC, that type of work is what I would like to do, including a greeting line at the Hospitality House again each morning and afternoon/evening. It would be interesting to see about five family rides put in that area where the Tobaggan used to be. So, we will see what will happen. The old school shows at Riverfront Playhouse would be great, too!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
Revamping that area could help spread out the crowds at Christmas.  Other than the show venues, really not much to do down that way when it is too cold for water rides.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »
Revamping that area could help spread out the crowds at Christmas.  Other than the show venues, really not much to do down that way when it is too cold for water rides.

Excellent point!

Waiting for the other two concepts to show up so our park centric site can parse the ever loving poo out of it.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »
History Buff...glad to see you commenting again! I'm OK for having a revamped balloon ride back. The comments about more roaming characters and line entertainment warms my heart...if I were to go back to SDC, that type of work is what I would like to do, including a greeting line at the Hospitality House again each morning and afternoon/evening. It would be interesting to see about five family rides put in that area where the Tobaggan used to be. So, we will see what will happen. The old school shows at Riverfront Playhouse would be great, too!

Thanks, Junior.

As much as people like Terry's characters, it just can't be a one-man show.  Even with Terry, I never see him doing anything other than saying hello or goodbye to guests.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
Sorry guys!  Mom has had grandkids at her house all day.  They are still there.  We'll finish it up tomorrow.