Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384338 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #465 on: July 01, 2014, 11:13:32 PM »
And possible rides:

Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #466 on: July 02, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »
Now that the story has been broken by others, I think we can go ahead and discuss it. No reason to pretend it's not already out there for another month. I've thought it over some more, and I decided that it's OK to talk about trademark filings as long as it doesn't disrupt an on-going or planned teaser campaign or publicity effort. Really I just want to avoid the Outlaw Run situation in the future, but that's a discussion for later.

The Fireman's theme has apparently been selected with the area more than likely being dubbed "Fireman's Landing". Still comes down to implementation, and I've heard both encouraging and discouraging things about the rumored plans. The only thing that sticks in my mind with this theme is the question of whether it was chosen in order to continue HFEC's recent trend of building monuments and pandering to various services. One one hand, it's pretty cool for them as a large public space to acknowledge the services, but on the other hand it comes off as pandering at some point. We'll see how it turns out.

At least we don't have to worry about any airplanes in the park.  ::)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 02, 2014, 08:02:14 AM »
At least we don't have to worry about any airplanes in the park.

I wonder how the Balloons will figure into the theme? 

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 02, 2014, 08:19:44 AM »
Now that the story has been broken by others, I think we can go ahead and discuss it. No reason to pretend it's not already out there for another month. I've thought it over some more, and I decided that it's OK to talk about trademark filings as long as it doesn't disrupt an on-going or planned teaser campaign or publicity effort. Really I just want to avoid the Outlaw Run situation in the future, but that's a discussion for later.

The Fireman's theme has apparently been selected with the area more than likely being dubbed "Fireman's Landing". Still comes down to implementation, and I've heard both encouraging and discouraging things about the rumored plans. The only thing that sticks in my mind with this theme is the question of whether it was chosen in order to continue HFEC's recent trend of building monuments and pandering to various services. One one hand, it's pretty cool for them as a large public space to acknowledge the services, but on the other hand it comes off as pandering at some point. We'll see how it turns out.

At least we don't have to worry about any airplanes in the park.  ::)

It's good that you mentioned the obvious pandering with last two HFE projects. Firechaser at Dolly did as well. If this introduces more modern vehicles like fire trucks instead of wagons, I'm going to be really sad. Wonder what kind of dalmatian ride we get ( if that's  still part of it) the one HE posted in that ride picture or one later on that was pitched when Outlaw Run was.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 02, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »
If anyone from the park is reading this...please no fire trucks!! There were no trucks in the Ozarks in the 1880's! The concept art shows a fire truck ride, and that worries me.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #470 on: July 02, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »
We definitely do not want more modern, "self-propelled" vehicles to be introduced into the City.  More and more, it is an 1880s town...that has been dug up by archaeologists and adapted at their whim.

And I can't see why we want to ride on dogs; a dog is not an animal meant to be ridden (if that is the idea).

I suppose the launch will be a fire pole.

The balloons no longer fit this theme unless they have different vehicles to attach to the arms.  The concept says something about a bucket brigade ride, but pictures buckets with balls.  If this is a ride, I guess the balloons could be changed to buckets.

I think this will allow them to include the current hoses, ball-play area, and climbing structure, which means more chipped and faded paint every year.  If the "island" in the lake is retained, it would be cool to have real fire on it.

Hopefully there is still some element that is a new purchase and not just recycled rides.

For what its worth, they could have retained the "Gulch" part of the name (i.e., Fireman's Gulch).  The Landing thing is overused.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 02, 2014, 10:23:33 AM »
This sounds like it is a lazy, unimaginative addition to the park.  Use recycled rides, fail to keep it in 1880's theme, etc.  I don't think we're going to be very impressed.  I hope I'm wrong but I won't hold my breath.

It's sad this is where SDC is going.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #472 on: July 02, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Whoa there, let's try not to get ahead of ourselves here. Nothing has been announced yet. We know nothing for certain about this development other than the fact that a trademark has been file and there are pieces of an old double shot on site. Most of what SDC has done in the past decade has turned out pretty great, even if there are tiny aspects here and there that diverge from the old ways. They still display a tremendous amount of imagination and effort. We don't need to dog the park before we even know what they're doing.

If they do indeed put something in the new area that actually puts a damper on the SDC experience, it will be worth pointing out, but we have to avoid nitpicking.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 02, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »
This sounds like it is a lazy, unimaginative addition to the park.  Use recycled rides, fail to keep it in 1880's theme, etc.  I don't think we're going to be very impressed.  I hope I'm wrong but I won't hold my breath.

It's sad this is where SDC is going.

Agre, And also agree with Shave about all the pandering to special groups. I wish they had taken all this money and refurbished a few of the older attractions and saved the space for something major in the future.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 02, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
Whoa there, let's try not to get ahead of ourselves here. Nothing has been announced yet. We know nothing for certain about this development other than the fact that a trademark has been file and there are pieces of an old double shot on site. Most of what SDC has done in the past decade has turned out pretty great, even if there are tiny aspects here and there that diverge from the old ways. They still display a tremendous amount of imagination and effort. We don't need to dog the park before we even know what they're doing.

If they do indeed put something in the new area that actually puts a damper on the SDC experience, it will be worth pointing out, but we have to avoid nitpicking.

I think the fear here is that Silver Dollar City will undergo a Dollywoodization without the name change. That’s basically losing the period theming while keeping SDC name all in an attempt to.recreate the success of Dollywood while not allowing SDC to grow on it's own merits.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:44:29 AM by chittlins »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #475 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »

I think the fear here is that Silver Dollar City will undergo a Dollywoodization without the name change. That’s basically losing the period theming while keeping SDC name all in an attempt to.recreate the success of Dollywood while not allowing SDC to grow on it's own merits.

That's certainly been the concern for awhile now, but I don't think this is the right time or place to wring our hands over it. Lets wait till we see the actual pitch, then if something is really going to devalue the park we can make some pointed complaints that will have more weight to them. There's a tendency in threads like this which I want to avoid in that we essentially come off as whining all the time if we don't get a picture perfect representation of what Mary Herschend would do. I'll be just as unhappy as anyone if they plop something fake and generic right out in front of this development, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 02, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
I agree with shave.  Lots of people were less than impressed with Half Dollar Hollar when it was in this stage of development.  While I know most people that frequent this board still have no interest in it, they themed it well for it being a tree house.  The park is never going to be How mary Herschend would have had it.  Those days are gone.  I hope that we don't have fire trucks and I'm a bit hesitant about riding Dalmatians.  Lol!  But let's see what they have in store before declaring the area a loss. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #477 on: July 02, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »
Unless something has changed recently - we won't be riding dalmatians in this area.

Guys, I know that a lot of you are underwhelmed by this addition - but using rides that are storage is actually really smart.  It saves money that can be later applied to a larger addition (which right now is looking to be 2016).  

Also be taking as many photos of the GG buildings and stuff as you can -- it sounds like it is ALL coming down.  AND with that in mind, throw that concept art out that you have posted, it won't look anything like that other than theme.
SWOOSH

Willzillaross

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 02, 2014, 10:14:45 PM »
First, thank you for keeping us in focus. I think we should still assume good will on SDC's part. So far, they've done a really good job.  :D

Honestly, I think we could still see a mashup of a few of these ideas that were tested or maybe even something totally different. Fireman could be one part of a larger idea. Personally, if they do go with a big Fireman theme, I hope to see something more complex than just SDC Fire Station #2 with a big red GG.  Maybe the fireworks factory is on fire and the SDC fire crew came to save the day?

By the way: I really like idea of "Fireman's Gulch"!

Willzillaross

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 02, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
Also be taking as many photos of the GG buildings and stuff as you can -- it sounds like it is ALL coming down.  AND with that in mind, throw that concept art out that you have posted, it won't look anything like that other than theme.

If this ends up being true, then i'm kind of disappointed. I feel like the GG Town Hall is iconic for the park at this point for at least the modern generation.