Author Topic: 2013 Trip Reviews...  (Read 126946 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Trip Reviews...
« Reply #375 on: December 02, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
Qwed, the photos were really nice.  Thanks for sharing!  I got sick, and we had to come home early, also.  We had to leave before we made it to the park so I really appreciated the pics.  Hope your son made it down.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 03, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »
Im sure my Son and his girlfriend will make it down to SDC. They are still waiting for the passes right now.  Does seem kinda long for a piece of mail to take 7 days+ to go a couple hundred miles or less.

Sorry you got sick Gilligan.  I know Kathy needs sleep when her blood sugar drops. She got sick around Waynesville, and from there to Springfield, Mo. was a stop to (get sick) every 10-15 miles. Then she couldnt go any farther. She slept in a gas station lot for about 2 hours (while stayed on guard). Finally we moved from there to Branson.  Went straight to Homestay where she slept for another 4 hours (while I toured Branson solo. and worked on my plastic model car).  Saturday she felt good though. It ended up being good.

God didnt want us in SDC on Friday.  I dont know why, but I know it was for our own good.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 03, 2013, 09:13:09 AM »
Im sure my Son and his girlfriend will make it down to SDC. They are still waiting for the passes right now.  Does seem kinda long for a piece of mail to take 7 days+ to go a couple hundred miles or less.

Sorry you got sick Gilligan.  I know Kathy needs sleep when her blood sugar drops. She got sick around Waynesville, and from there to Springfield, Mo. was a stop to (get sick) every 10-15 miles. Then she couldnt go any farther. She slept in a gas station lot for about 2 hours (while stayed on guard). Finally we moved from there to Branson.  Went straight to Homestay where she slept for another 4 hours (while I toured Branson solo. and worked on my plastic model car).  Saturday she felt good though. It ended up being good.

God didnt want us in SDC on Friday.  I dont know why, but I know it was for our own good.

Wow!  Glad she is better!!  Those passes were mailed Monday morning about 7:30.  There is no excuse for that!  Crazy!!  Let me know when he gets them.  My mailman said there was a way to trace a piece of mail - I'll ask him about it if necessary.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 04, 2013, 03:15:04 AM »
Gilligan, the passes arrived today at his house.  I think he is planning on going this Saturday, or next.  We was thinkin about joining them if its next weekend, but I found out today that I will be working overtime next 3 weekends. Thats good news. I certainly need a little extra $$$$ right now. 

Anyway, once again. Thank You Gilligan for those passes. The 2 of them cant wait to go.
Tim

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 04, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »
Gilligan, the passes arrived today at his house.  I think he is planning on going this Saturday, or next.  We was thinkin about joining them if its next weekend, but I found out today that I will be working overtime next 3 weekends. Thats good news. I certainly need a little extra $$$$ right now. 

Anyway, once again. Thank You Gilligan for those passes. The 2 of them cant wait to go.

YAY!  They arrived!  Nine days in the mail to go 150 miles.  That's nuts!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
thus the saying "snail mail"....

LOL!!  WOW!!! :o :o

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »
Mail to our town from someone in our town usually takes a week.  I can send a letter to my sister 4 hours away and it only takes 2 days. Our postal system here is awful.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 09, 2013, 12:06:49 AM »
Gilligan-I think the kids are going this weekend 12-14.  I forgot, I cant go this weekend. This is the weekend of our Church play "Walk Thru Bethlehem"  Hey Parson. If your not doin anything this weekend (evenings), come on out!  http://www.mmbc.net/wtb.htm

It is out in Jeffco past House Springs. Take HWY 30 to HWY B, (Cedar Hill). Go left on B and about 3-5 miles. We will be packed and ready for more.  I think I have to work Friday nite. I "should" be at Church Sat & Sun nites working as a CPA (car-parking-attendant). I will likely be the one standing right at the road directing folks in.  Ask for Tim. They will get me.
Tim

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 09, 2013, 10:12:11 PM »
Our family had planned on attending Ace's Coaster Christmas, but mother nature had other plans.  Due to in-climate weather, the event was canceled.  But SDC graciously offered complimentary weekend tickets to anyone registered for the event.  So with the promise of free SDC tickets, vacation days already requested off for work, and knowing this weekend would be our only opportunity to see OTC this year, we decided to go anyway.  The Interstate from St. Louis to Springfield (I-44) was in really good shape, as was 65 from Springfield to Branson.  I usually take the Ozark Mountain High Road, but given the amount of snow and the fact that so much of that road is elevated, I decided to take Shepherd of the Hills Expressway in to town—that road was a mess.  It was snow-packed all the way to Homestay Inn.  By the time we hit it, Highway 76 was mostly clear out to the city.  There were a few slick-spots, but no real problems.  We arrived at the City at about 4:30pm. It was right about dusk. As you have seen by some of the pictures (I will try to post some more soon).  The city was just beyond gorgeous.  Given the small crowd (around 2,300 on Saturday) they only used the one lot for parking, but we parked in the preferred-parking lot.  It was cold (21 degrees) and we didn't want to have to wait for a tram.  We actually lucked out and had a bus pull up at the disabled drop-off and he had room for us.  He commented (tongue-in-cheek) that some folks had complained that they were only using buses and not any trams!  We picked up a Pathfinder to check out the show schedules. It's a Wonderful Life was getting ready to start, so we walked right in and sat center stage.  By the time the show started, I'd say the auditorium was bout 1/2 – 2/3 full.  The show was good.  The production, given the small space, was quite impressive, the use of scrims, video and smoke was very effective.  One song that really stuck in the kids heads was (Monty Python's) “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”, sung by Clarence the Angel.  The kids broke into a chorus of the song during a trip through The Flooded  Mine (one of the only two rides open that weekend, the other was the carousel).  Since we were the only people on the ride at the time it was no big deal.  But, it was rather humorous listening to the two boys singing “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” at the top of their lungs while floating through The Mine.

I'd say about 1/3 of the park was shut down due to the snow and coldness.  The park was offering the general public discounted tickets ($30) if they came over the weekend.  The Grand Exposition was completely roped off as was Wilson's Farm, Midtown, the path to Wildfire/AP, and the path up the hill to Powder Keg.  The Skillets were closed as were many of the food stands.  Some shops were closed, most notably the Woodcarvers and Christmas Hollow.  Seemed ironic to have Christmas Hollow closed, but I'm thinking that it might have had something to with snow on the accessibility ramps.  Geyser Gulch was open on Saturday but roped off on Sunday; and Half-Dollar Holler was closed (with the exception of the carousel).

The sing-along-steam train was also open both days (though it was shut-down for a time on Sunday due to ice in the brake lines).  We rode Saturday night. We were able to walk right on and sit in the middle car.  When we stopped we were right in front of Grandpa.  Best seat ever.  But when the train moved, it was ccooolllddd, with snow blowing in your face off the roof of the train car in front of you.  It started sleeting when Grandpa started telling the story.  But it was as beautiful as ever.

On Sunday we arrived in time for the 2:00pm worship service.  We (our family) were the only ones there, other than the Parson, Linda (piano) and the guest speaker and his wife.  Grandma is always bragging about how well her grandsons are able to sing, so they were invited to sing “Silent Night” as a special during the service.  After the service we rode the Flooded Mine, and then saw the new Frosty show.  It is much better than the previous one (IMO).  Shorty Hatfield still plays “Chris” and the same girl plays “Holly” but the new program features a new character-- the Sugar Plum Faerie. If you've seen the city's rendition of “A Christmas Carol” the new Faerie is very similar to the “Ghost of Christmas Present,”  and she adds another dimension of humor to the show.  In the new show, the Sugar Plum Faerie helps the kids bring Frosty back to life.  It was really a fun show. Though, if they ever asked me, I'd still tell them to bring back TINKER!!!  After Frosty we went to see “A Christmas Carol”.  Walked right on in, sat center stage, best seats ever.  And the show was fabulous as usual.

Well, I've got more to share, but I'm home now and I have to work tomorrow so bed-time beckons.

To Be Continued....

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2013, 04:30:09 AM »
Very nice review, Parson. Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:55 AM »
Great review Parson!!
Live life like it's the last day!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 10, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
Sounds like a nice trip.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 10, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »
good for you, sounds like u were able to see the show and the city! nice job.   I would like ot have gone down sunday. but that didn't work out...

We may fly down there this weekend. time/weather will tell the story,,,,

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 10, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
Great review, Parson. Looking forward to the rest of it!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 12, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
That was fun reading, Parson!  Glad to hear you had a good time.