Author Topic: 2013 Trip Reviews...  (Read 127142 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
2013 Trip Reviews...
« on: March 06, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »
Well with swoosh's hints for the new year, I sure hope anybody being at the City opening weekend will take lots of pics so we can all "review" them ;D...

Just a few more days..

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Trip Reviews...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
Yep, I hope the same thing!  Bring it on!!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
Remember those iPhones and Panorama mode!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOO!  ;D ;D ;D
-
Got to park on opening day at 8:35. Easy and quick ride on the trams to the ticket booth area. By the time I parked, the parking lot was already getting pretty full at stop #2, and they were getting ready to open the area around stop #3. Big crowds, and much anticipation about Outlaw Run. First merchandise display in Hospitality House was for Outlaw Run. I was blown away when I hit Main Street because I found out the park personnel started the line for Outlaw Run at 8am at the Saloon, and by the time I got on Main Street 45 minutes later, the line was already up to the Hospitality House! :P Plenty of "citizens" on hand to work crowd control and everyone seemed in high spirits, so I went and had breakfast at the Mill. They dropped the ropes a half hour early at 9am because of the crowds. I made my way directly to Outlaw Run after I saw the flag raising and National Anthem on Main Street at 9:30am.
-
At the bottom of the corkscrew overpass where the haystack dryer used to be is the new Wax Hand area. Done nicely. The old Wax Hand Station is part of the outdoor seating area for Crossroads Pizza. This restaurant is HUGE! Indoor dining area very nice, too, as was the service area.
-
I noticed as I passed the folks standing in line for Outlaw Run that the little Wilson's Farm race game has been rethemed "Old West." But when they opened it, it was still the same, and they were giving stuffed farm animals away as prizes like last year. Outlaw Run plaza is big, and was filled to capacity when I got there. Nice locker area, good merchandise shop. Again, many "citizens" working crowd control. I saw and spoke with Terry Sanders, he was dressed as the Warden, and was helping get people with Trailblazer Passes to the right area. The Park CEO, Brad Thomas, was also in the area, and it appeared as if he was very busy making sure things went smoothly. The loading area was packed, as was the observation area. Several TV and Radio station crews on site to promote opening day. There were giveaways for those riding Outlaw Run, including T-Shirts and special certificates given to early riders. Most park personnel wore Outlaw Run buttons.
-
Noticed Facebook logos on signage in the Ozark Marketplace area and in the Pathfinder. Did not see any in the 1880s area of the park.
-
A few side notes:  Jack's Sandwich shop apparently has some new signage, the beloved Treehouse still in place, but, of course, still closed. Noticed the train had two of the newer coaches on it today. The area where you line up to get into the Saloon was refurbished, Overall, the park looked great. I did have a chance to visit with a few old pals from my days on park, but everyone was super busy running here and there on opening day. I did see and speak with Terry Sanders, Randy Stowe, Kerry Chester...all old diving bell people, and a fellow named Terry who is a supervisor in food service that I worked with. Also saw Rex Burdette, who is an entertainment director now, saw D.A. Calloway, but did not have chance to speak with him. It was nice to see all these old, familiar faces, and Kerry Chester, celebrating his 38th year on park, is getting ready to retire. God bless them, all!
-
I concentrated on Outlaw Run on this visit, as I knew everyone was excited about it. You will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED FOLKS! SDC looks great for the 2013 season, hope you can make it out to the park soon!  ;D

CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
Thank you SO much for posting pictures of Crossroads Pizza! I was really anxious to see how that area of the park transformed. Note my avatar is in memory of Aunt Polly's Restaurant.
WOW, that place looks great though! Love that the old ball pit/fort is still more or less in tack. Wish they had kept the ropes above for added ambiance and a nod to what once was, but oh well.
Thanks for the detailed review, and I hope they continue to stream in. We should be able to get there sometime in late April for World Fest!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »
Thanks Junior!  Great photos! ;D
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
thanks junior, good pics.. and i am sure we many more to see in the next 48 hours ;D

Ready to be there next week and check it out

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »
I'm working on getting my own pics uploaded to Flickr right now. I'm glad you got pics of the Crossroads Pizza interior, Junior, 'cause I completely forgot to take some!

EDIT: Okay, here are the pics I took today!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjoyhelvie/sets/72157633006268310/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:41:16 PM by Joy »

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:18 PM »
Thank you all for the pics. Now I just have to remember my own camera next weekend, when I get to take my first trip to the city (IN 2013 that is).

BTW------How was the pizza?  Was it good?  What was pizza prices?
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »
The pizza was, IMO, a very good price. I got an 8" pepperoni for $8.29. Pretty large, but I managed to eat it all (if the crust hadn't been thin, I wouldn't have managed it, LOL). It tasted great, except I'm not sure I'm a fan of the "fired" part. There was a lot of ashy stuff on the bottom of the pizza, especially around the bottom edges. That makes it a VERY messy meal; little bits fell onto my shirt and smeared when I wiped them away. So be very careful and grab lots of napkins (actually, I'd recommend wetnaps; they'd prob work better than a dry napkin in getting all the black stuff off your fingers).

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
Great pictures Joy, thanks for sharing!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures ya all!!  ;D
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »
I just an unoffical attendence count for opening day.....

15,008........!!

Pretty good number for a friday.,,,,!!!!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »
So, do you think the crowds today go over 20,000?  I'm thinking around 25
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »
i dont think there will be 10,000 difference between the 2 days...  the 1st day for the big coaster was obviuosly a BIG day,  I would speculate 18-20,000... we will see, I have already assked a couple of friends there to check on count tonite when they are done working..

Also keep in mind, 25,000??? I think that would be a new record, (seem like old record is 23-23,500? maybe)...  either way thats a lot of PEOPLE!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o