Author Topic: Things you'd like to see at SDC in 2013  (Read 9740 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Things you'd like to see at SDC in 2013
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »
My experience with steampunk obviously has been very different from you guys. The stuff I've encountered has been cool stuff like Wild Wild West (the TV series, which was basically a western, but with technology that was very steampunk-ish) and the group Steam Powered Giraffe, who costume themselves as robots that were built just before and during the Civil War (each of the three leads have fully fleshed out backstories for their characters), so they make jokes that are 19th-century related and are very family-friendly; their humor reminds me a lot of shows at SDC like the Saloon Show.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
Scroll down to Culture and Community.
Now that you have seen those pictures, how could anyone think that that would work at SDC?

If you need more.  Google image Steampunk Haunts.  That's what real steampunk is.  It is a sub-culture and should be viewed as nothing more than a more stylized gothic movement.
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
This will not be popular, but how about another new Christmas show? If I ever see another rendition of A Christmas Carol in any shape or form it will be to soon. Am I the only one who is tired of Dickens.

There are still plenty of people willing to stand in line and see the Dickens show. it is a classic and i am sure will remain for a while...

With IAWL going on now, you wont see any Major new shows for OTC for a while.. 

I have said it before, and will say it again..  I wish they would rewrite the saloon show.. it is a short skit and i just dont understand why it isnt redone every year or so...???

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »
I have said it before, and will say it again..  I wish they would rewrite the saloon show.. it is a short skit and i just dont understand why it isnt redone every year or so...???

They change out parts of it every year.  While in essence it is the same show (in format) it is a different show (as a whole) every year.

I'd like them to bring over "T'was the Night Before Christmas" from Dollywood.  It was really cheesy but a great "feel good" show.  We'd need another theatre though.  'Course I wouldn't complain too much if they were to add another indoor theatre.
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 07:25:51 PM »
Too late for this year, but my friends and I thought it'd be cool if SDC someday has a Steampunk Weekend, complete with various artisans who specialize in steampunk creations, and the entertainment headliner being Steam Powered Giraffe, a wonderful group of people who have plenty of family-friendly material to work with to customize a show for playing at SDC.

I just love the idea of seeing people in steampunk walking around the park, riding rides, etc; awesome costumes all around on people having fun at an awesome park.

I think the way to have that is not for it to be an officially sponsored weekend, but rather for the Steampunk community to pick a weekend for showing up, and publicize it.

I agree with your perception of the community, although I'm not part of it. I guarantee such a weekend would be less irksome to general parkgoers than the young heathens weekend.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »
Please, forget this "steampunk" garbage. Let's move on to something better.  :P
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
It couldn't be just be there this year of course, but I want a resort next to sdc in which I could walk to the park or use transportation.  Then I could enter the park through a special entrance.  I could walk back and forth, take a break in the hottest part of the day or when my youngest needs a nap. 

Of course, I pretty much use Deer Run this way when I stay there.  Also, I may be inspired since I just came back from Disney last June.  :)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »
dont know how possible it is, but i've always said SDC needs a 2nd entrance.
Live life like it's the last day!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
I don't want a resort - I think that would complicate things, possibly screw up parking even more, and do away with some of the forested areas around it. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
I don't want a resort - I think that would complicate things, possibly screw up parking even more, and do away with some of the forested areas around it. 

Actually I think it would be the opposite of all of that.
Have you ever seen the Wilderness Lodge at WDW or even the cabins at Dollywood.  About as far from "removal of forested areas" as you can get. 

Parking?  Well the people staying at the resort would park at the resort, not in the parking lots.

Complicate?  Probably not. IF they are staying at the resort, I'm sure there would be direct transportation to/from it and would not intefere with the "daily guests"
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
Do they own enough property around the park to do that?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
Yes.  They own A LOT of property

Like I've said many times. Nothing would thrill me more than them to throw the towel in on White Water and open a new waterpark out by SDC.  A new resort modeled after Wilderness Lodge at WDW and then construct a new launch point for SBB down the road at Indian Point.  They would have all of their major properties then on site/nearby.   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:49:03 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
^ Yes please to all of that

Okie Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »
The things I want to see at SDC in 2013 is me and my family there as often as possible!!! (and all of you too of course) Yes I know, too obvious, sorry.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
The things I want to see at SDC in 2013 is me and my family there as often as possible!!! (and all of you too of course) Yes I know, too obvious, sorry.

I like that!