Author Topic: Tornado update  (Read 26921 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Tornado update
« on: September 01, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
Noticed on my trip to Branson last week work still progresses on the clean up to the tornado in the spring. Branson Heights shopping center is gone! Concrete slabs, some gravel, some weeds, and some real estate signs are all that are left. Noticed Starvin' Marvin's was open again, Ozarkland still wasted...although most debris is cleaned up. Went on top of Mount Branson, and that trailer park neighborhood the tourists don't see is still a disaster zone...debris and torn up mobile homes all over the place. Some work has been done at Candlestick Inn, but not much.  The broken windows at the Hilton are repaired, things downtown look good. Anyone else have some tornado recovery information?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Tornado update
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:27:18 PM »
I have been reading the Independent (small newspaper we have here in the lobby) and they have mentioned those that are going to rebuild now that the "insurance" issues have been resolved. There are still plenty of businesses that are still in litigation or other processes. Due to the new "look" they have planned for 76, a lot of the businesses that are going to rebuild have to fit into those "guidelines". The Ozark Mtn Inn will not be rebuilt, the Riverboat Motel, Jubilee, Angler's Block, Auto Museum, Branson Heights will be rebuilding so hopefully soon will see some progress. Those are the only places at this time for sure. According to some of the locals I've been talking too, others are planning on rebuilding as well but not sure of status on those at this time.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
So, what is the new look for 76 strip? That sounds interesting, a friend and I were just talking the other day about how worn out and run down the strip was starting to look. She mentioned that they needed to reinvent it. Looks like there may be plans for this. I hope so.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »
Hopefully the "new look" involves some true urban planning for once with thought given to future transportation expansion. I'm encouraged that all those businesses are rebuilding though - I'll bet that piece of the strip will look fantastic next year.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »
Last week I noticed Engler's Block was gone...and the big ole motel next to what was the Silver Fountain Inn was being torn down. Glad to hear several of those places will be rebuilding.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:01:34 PM »
Just got back and it is really sad to see all the empty lots. The old Bens wishing well , hi ho motel, silver fountain inn, all the area around the leisure country inn. While on a morning run I lost count of all the empty grown up lots along the strip. What is more disturbing is the old Grand Palace property in disrepair and not being kept up. Hopefully things will get on the upswing and with good planning Branson will come back strong.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »
So, what is the new look for 76 strip? That sounds interesting, a friend and I were just talking the other day about how worn out and run down the strip was starting to look. She mentioned that they needed to reinvent it. Looks like there may be plans for this. I hope so.
I agree that a new look sounds interesting. My hometown did a similar thing when we had a tornado about 8 years ago. We had the people who designed the Chesterfield Village area of Springfield design our square. Very nice brick and stonework building with awnings and such. It will be interesting to see what Branson decides to do.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
I "found" this photo album of tornado damage,,, some f=different pics than i had seen before..

.https://www.facebook.com/nicolestarling/photos#!/media/set/?set=a.10150691266337139.445728.511987138&type=3

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »

saw several signs of repair being done finally in branson, here a 2 pics showings that unfortunately the Ozarkland Building is gone, and foundations already beeing poured back..(for some reason pics arent attaching, i will add them in later....)).. BUT the buidling is GONE!>>

I will get more pics and more info on repairs going on when i go back down in early february,,,

I am here to tell you i saw a LOT of different projects going on...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »
Lazy and didnt want to make a new posting......I noticed that Stone and Tany Counties are under a Tornado WARNING!!! until 5pm today. Get yalls prayer on that it does not become more than a storm and everyone comes out okay!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
ALL CLEAR, no damage to Branson area,  lost 3 or 4 trailers (house?) south of Kimberling city,,,
Lost cable in Branson,  thats it.. 

OR so the initial reports...

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »
Update on the 2012 tornado damage -- Don't look for Shoney's to reopen.  The guy who had the franchise for the Ozarks Shoney's in Missouri and Harrison Arkansas has closed all of his restaurants.  He is having financial difficulties.

More from tv station KSPR 33 in Springfield:

http://www.kspr.com/news/kspr-shoneys-suddenly-closes-doors-employees-says-restaurant-refuses-to-pay-them-20130128,0,320458.story

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
Hate to say it, but that's really no big loss
SWOOSH