Author Topic: Tornado update  (Read 26922 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Tornado update
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
That very same cell was the one that produced a 200yard wide twister on the Ark/Ok state line and cut through the national forest near Devils Den and suspected if briefly spinning up again at Elkins. That was way too close and only two miles from my house. I can not tell you the berating our elementary school principle got. In the middle of the warning, they were loading buses and parents for pick up had to clue the teachers in as to what was going on.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »
Hate to say it, but that's really no big loss

I definitely agree. Hopefully, though, the building will get torn down soon.

Hollwood

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 04:28:58 AM »
No big loss of a restaurant? That is what you mean right Swoosh? Because it seems like a big loss to the job market... Including my mom... Who has worked there for 25, years until a tornado took it away... Big loss to my family... But I assume you meant no big loss of a restaurant...which was one of the more busier breakfast places in Branson... Even in the off season... But no big loss... Where do live? Because it seems like you don't know much about our town... Just your preferences...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:33:10 AM by Hollywood »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 05:44:18 AM »
If the Branson location was the bread winner for that franchisee, I'd expect someone else to come in rebuild the brand. The other locations may have been carried by the Branson location. Seems like most of the Shoney's I knew of growing up have closed. but in areas like Tennessee they seem to doing fine.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:27 AM »
There is a Shoneys in my town that seems to do well. I recall going to one in Joplin when I was little and it was always a treat. I have been to the one in my town now about two years ago and it wasnt too bad. Not my fave but not the worst I ever ate. They do make a decent chicken salad sammich...
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 07:28:41 AM »
No big loss of a restaurant? That is what you mean right Swoosh? Because it seems like a big loss to the job market... Including my mom... Who has worked there for 25, years until a tornado took it away... Big loss to my family... But I assume you meant no big loss of a restaurant...which was one of the more busier breakfast places in Branson... Even in the off season... But no big loss... Where do live? Because it seems like you don't know much about our town... Just your preferences...

Calm down. 
SWOOSH

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
At one time Shoney's was a good and affordable place to eat but Shoney's as a chain has not done well for a long time.  Many locations have closed since the 90s.

I do feel sorry for all of the employees who have lost jobs as a result of the Shoney's closures. And I think it stinks that so many employees didn't get their last paychecks from the franchise owner.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
That doesnt just stink........that calls for a bunch of bad words strung together!!!  :o
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Hollwood

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
Sorry... Touchy subject...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
At one time Shoney's was a good and affordable place to eat but Shoney's as a chain has not done well for a long time.  Many locations have closed since the 90s.

Correct.  I honestly couldn't even tell you were the closest Shoney's is to me anymore without having to go Google it.  When I was younger, they were a great place to eat.  Hate to say it, but I haven't been young for quite awhile now and Shoney's hasn't been a good place to eat for at least that long. 

Yes, it was a loss in the way of jobs.  NO, it was not a loss as in a good place to eat.  No offense to your relatives, they just worked there.

If anything. The town could use another Cracker Barrel
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
Shoneys is where we ate at 4am on the way back from a night Memphis.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
The town could use another Cracker Barrel
Boy I diagree to this. What Branson needs in more diversity in its restaurants.  They dont need duplicates.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 05:01:42 AM »
Boy I diagree to this. What Branson needs in more diversity in its restaurants.  They dont need duplicates.

Yep. Cracker Barrell quality has gone down with  it's proliferation. Most veggies are straight out the Sysco can.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:24 AM »
Be that as it may.  It still gets extremely busy and the wait time for a table is usually an hour or more during peak season.

Who goes there to eat veggies? :/
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 07:26:04 AM »

Yep. Cracker Barrell quality has gone down with  it's proliferation. Most veggies are straight out the Sysco can.

I agree 100 percent. I love local eateries and it seems Branson has just become a chain restaurant  Mecca. Give me a local hole in the wall any day.  I just do not get the allure of Cracker Barrell. Average food and the place is so noisy that you cannot hear across the table.