Author Topic: WW 2012 Info  (Read 11379 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
WW 2012 Info
« on: May 26, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »
Today was opening day for WhiteWater.  Read on the 1branson board that according to KY3 opening day in 2011 had 800 people and today there were 3000 people.  Here's a link to an article from Hometown Radio about WhiteWater:

http://www.hometowndailynews.com/10450/white_water_opens_today_for_2012_season.html

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: WW 2012 Info
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
It was good to hear that they had a good opening day. I'm sure the warm temperature had at least something to do with it, but it's still good news.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

righty1985

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
My wife and I went to White Water on Sunday. With the weather and it being opening/Memorial Day weekend I thought it would be more busy than it was. The parking lot was only about half-full and only Ohana Falls had a very long line while we were there.

What concerned me is that it didn't seem the park was prepared for even this crowd level. There weren't enough inflatables out for the rides and people were having to wait in line at the end to get them from those exiting the ride. There was a relatively short line to enter but on some of them there was a longer wait to get the rafts.

This was our first trip to White Water in several years as we have been living out of state and preferred to spend our limited time back here in Silver Dollar City. However, we still liked White Water and it concerns me that it seems to have become an afterthought. There is some nice new theming since we were last here but the only major "addition" is the new lazy river which isn't much different from the old one.

I recognize that White Water has less capacity and a shorter operating period so it doesn't make as much sense to invest in it but I also think it is falling behind the competition. Does anyone have any ideas or wild speculations as to the plans for White Waters' future?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:07:56 AM »
I was quite a bit disappointed when I heard that the new lazy river was not the all-out themed-to-the-teeth attraction I hoped it would be to propel WW into a new era. It sounds like it was a good improvement, but not anything really amazing.

I think the company definitely seems scared to invest in the property, even while there is an explosion of water park development happening all around them. People seem to hesitate visiting WW when they can do SDC, the Landing, and shows instead. WW won't pull a lot of people in until they do some real significant expansions, but that's a huge risk for them if it doesn't work out.

I'm hoping we'll see a new slide tower in 2013. Seems like it's been rumored for some time now, but it might just have been hopeful speculation.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »
Herchend isn't doing WW right. The newer business  model seems to be that it should be adjacent to SDC or go Schitterbahn like with it eventuallly being a full fledged resort. We, as a family have forsaken WW for Schitterbahn in KC and for a winter retreat Grand Country loses out to Great Wolf Lodge. WW as a tourist draw is getting beat badly. It seems like an antique water park.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »
Im not a WW fan either. It just seems like a waste of $$$. With GC while the rooms are not amazing, you have the water park/motel combo. Food is in walking distance. If I am not mistaken, GC also has some neat packages where you can get the room/waterpark/mini golf/pizza buffet at not to shabby of a price. I would rather do that then one day of WW. OR stay at the SDC motel (hint hint SDC) lol
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:42:36 AM »
Great Wolf Lodge in KC kicks Grand County's tail as far as indoor water park goes. Rooms too. Loses on mini golf. I love the new area out in KCK now if Worlds of Fun would relocate.

There's that unfinished parking lot at SDC that could accommodate a Waterpark.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
I would be sad if the water park merged with SDC....It just wouldnt be right.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »
If they redeveloped the CC property and built an all new Whitewater with it, well, that might be something exciting. However, it may be years before that were to happen.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »
Great Wolf Lodge in KC kicks Grand County's tail as far as indoor water park goes. Rooms too. Loses on mini golf. I love the new area out in KCK now if Worlds of Fun would relocate.

Great wolf lodge is also 2 - 2 1/2 times the nightly rate..  So there should be a HUGE difference!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
We used to get WW/SDC combo passes but finally gave up on WW. In all of the years we visited WW, we never could get an inflatable for the wave pool.  And we always had to wait awhile to get one for the Aloha River.  Finding a lounge chair in the shade was also a challenge -- and we were too cheap to fork out the extra bucks to rent a cabana.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 10:35:59 PM »

Great wolf lodge is also 2 - 2 1/2 times the nightly rate..  So there should be a HUGE difference!

We are staying at Great Wolf next weekend for a little over 150 a night. We are staying Fri and Sat. I can go to Grand Country's website and a similar package is advertised at 298 for two nights. I'm having trouble with your 21/2 times more theory. Kids love Trex as well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:43:59 PM by chittlins »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »
Well..??  according to wolf lodge site, rooms start at 269.99...
https://secure.greatwolf.com/kansascity/reservations#select-suites&StartDate=6/9/2012&EndDate=6/10/2012&Adults=2&Children=2&Children2=0

AND... grand country starts at 90.00 on weekends...
http://www.grandcountry.com/lodging

so..???  I quess that is where I come up with 2-2 1/2  times the amount..

Now that is not saying you cant get package "deals" at either place for less money....  anything that high always has room to lower prices for a "deal"!!  LOL...

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 10:28:45 PM »
You're right, sanddune.  When I called to get reservations at the Great Wolf Lodge in KC, KS, they wanted $269.00 a night, and that only included the water park.  I was able to get a room at the Sheraton Crown Center with 4 tickets to Lego Land for 149.00 on the Sunday of Memorial day weekend.  Frankly, I can't afford Great Wolf Lodge anywhere. 

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
You're right, sanddune.  When I called to get reservations at the Great Wolf Lodge in KC, KS, they wanted $269.00 a night, and that only included the water park.  I was able to get a room at the Sheraton Crown Center with 4 tickets to Lego Land for 149.00 on the Sunday of Memorial day weekend.  Frankly, I can't afford Great Wolf Lodge anywhere.  

Well heck, they are 329 now with only 4 rooms left. That's supply and demend in action boys and girls.

We booked our room at Great Wolf almost a month ago and it came out to about 160 a night. We sure wouldn't attempt such on a holiday weekend. We chose into between holidays. My kids are not out school yet. Our elementary school operates on a year round schedule and our off weeks or interseasion weeks often fall at times of non peak travel times. We get a week off on two of Disney's most slow periods in spring and fall. That was great and plan to utilize that again.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:59:21 PM by chittlins »