Author Topic: Tell me about the BBQ.............  (Read 8298 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about the BBQ.............
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
I'm from Memphis, you don't want my opinion on the pork. It would excessively harsh. This year, I just happened to miss going back for the Memphis in May BBQ Contest so eating that was an assault on my discerning taste buds.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
Went to the BBQ hall,
It was lackluster,
Improvements over last year?
They had 2 guest vendors, and I am sorry to say I do not remember their restaurant names but they were set up just like the regular SDC booths. 
I ate the vendors insted of SDC BBQ.  I am wondering if it was all cooked the same with different sauce poured on top.  I tried the group that were from Aurora , I enjoyed the brisket. It was without a smoky crust that I enjoy but I didn't regret buying it.  They served it with a crap roll that seemed like something you buy at Thanksgiving from wal mart in a pack of 12 for 1.00.   They used to have several sauces to choose from with your BBQ, this year is was 3, Honey Blackberry ( too sweet for me) and SDC original, ( OK ) and Sweet Hickory I think ( not memorable), they did not have the Carolina mustard base sauce I used to enjoy.  The meals were all the same price regardless what vendor you bought from so it was a even playing field.  AS I said I was fine with it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78984378@N05/7238867054/

They had a band of young guys from Stone County and they were enjoyable to listen to while I ate.
I didn't find the Apple dumpling, they did have apple pie it was huge just didn't look tempting enough for me to indulge.

My thoughts were they should have more open pits with the good old lump charcoal going for the smoke and the feel of a BBQ.  Just having trays of foil that could have just as easily held stoffers lasagna was not impressive. They sure could cook some corn on the cob over the flames live, make it look and SMELL good while they were making some money.  They did have corn on the cob but it may as well have been boiled, it showed no signs of being on a grill.  I skipped the $5 they were asking for an ear.
I will go next year, I would love for them to have sampler side plates for $3 so you could try each vendors BBQ and sauce, it could end up taking on a competition flair.  Love the music the BBQ is OK.
My verdict is go, the music is great fun and makes it all worth it, like a trip down memory lane at SDC.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:04:07 PM by mhguy77 »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 02:47:37 AM »
Here's the Ultimate Truth on Q: if you ask to talk to the person in charge, you have to wait for him to come from the back and he smells like smoke and is smeared with grease, you're probably at the right place.

There is NO good mass-produced BBQ. Good sauce? Yes, sure, but sauce goes on the beans. The meat should stand alone without sauce.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 08:02:25 AM »
There is NO good mass-produced BBQ. Good sauce? Yes, sure, but sauce goes on the beans. The meat should stand alone without sauce.
I agree 100%.  And frankly the meat reminded me of something mass produced.
I had brisket, buddy had pork and chicken.  Pork was nothing special and the brisket had no " skin" to it at all.  No smoke layer with a little tasty black from the outside of the meat. It looked like it was cooked corned beef style.   Maybe I expected too much .........
As I said I will go back and I will go back for the music.
I was raised in the food business and It is a HUGE mistake for SDC to treat this BBQ like its cafeteria food, its a LARGE amount of revenue that is lost by not making the food a " Memory worth repeating"  and folks, its getting non repeatable pretty fast !!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:42 AM »
It is a HUGE mistake for SDC to treat this BBQ like its cafeteria food, its a LARGE amount of revenue that is lost by not making the food a " Memory worth repeating"  and folks, its getting non repeatable pretty fast !!
[/quote]

AMEN!

Gunslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 11:29:14 AM »
Hi, long time lurker first time poster here.  My wife and I just went up to SDC this past weekend for a day trip.  For lunch we had philly cheese sandwiches.  They were very disappointing, very bland and used cheap chop meat instead of steak.  Worst, later in the day, over near the Flooded Mine we found another food place selling the same sandwich for a dollar cheaper, strange.  For dinner we tried the all-you-can-eat BBQ in Reunion Hall.  This was surprisingly good.  It was a bit pricey ($20 a person) but that included all-you-can-eat BBQ, sides, and drinks.  The BBQ was brought out on a big platter and served buffett style at your table.  It was decent, about on level with Rib Crib in quality.  Over-all, we too have noticed a decrease in the quality of food in the park.  My wife was rather disappointed that the Wagonworks stopped selling the steak sandwiches, they were one of her favorites.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
The little hot dog place by Wagon Works had the best turkey chili and tomato basil soup for sale in the Fall.  No more - they did away with it!  And I know people bought it, because they were always selling out early.  So sad!  We've postponed our trip a week so we can be on the lake for the wakeboard competition, so that will put us at SDC the last day of the BBQ Fest. I think we'll be skipping the bbq and focusing on the music.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »
Welcome gunslinger!

Where did you buy your philly at? and where was the other place at? thanks

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »
It is a HUGE mistake for SDC to treat this BBQ like its cafeteria food, its a LARGE amount of revenue that is lost by not making the food a " Memory worth repeating"  and folks, its getting non repeatable pretty fast !!

AMEN!
[/quote]

agreed

Gunslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 08:18:21 AM »
Welcome gunslinger!

Where did you buy your philly at? and where was the other place at? thanks

The place we bought it from was right across from Flossie's Fried Fancies but I don't remember the name of it, but it was a small place that I think only sold the Phillies and some sausage and potato skillet thing.  Looking at the map it may have been the Lumbercamp Skillets, that sounds about right.  The place that had it cheaper I believe was Buckshot Annies but again I'm not positive because it was my wife who pointed out the price difference and at the time I was trying to navigate a stroller around a large group of folks who decided the middle of the walkway was a good place to stop and chat.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 08:19:59 AM »
My husband got the on opening weekend and liked it alot. He said it was pretty dern good!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!